Followers
Following
Name
George
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Edinburgh
A fixed ISO is fine if you are in a hide or similar but what about when wandering?

I use an A1 with 200-600 sometimes with 2x TC and I've always set the ISO manually but am considering trying auto ISO with a minimum shutter speed of say 1/2000?

Good idea or bad idea?

I don't personally but in theory it'll work.i set mine and keep an eye on ss. If it drops. I change it, if it goes up, no problem.

I used to get hung up on low iso and setting it fixed but for a long time now I have used auto iso from 100-6400 and as Dave says keeping an eye on shutter speed manually

When first moving to FF I never used Auto-ISO, didn't trust it. While still finding it a bit unnerving at times, it gets regular use when the light gets low. Max ISO on the 7M4 is set to 6400 or 8000 depending on available light. However, I've never set a min shutter speed since I am in M almost all the time and can spin the dial pretty quickly. It took a few times out to remember to watch for the flashing ISO number that indicates out of ISO range.

A fixed ISO is fine if you are in a hide or similar but what about when wandering?

I use an A1 with 200-600 sometimes with 2x TC and I've always set the ISO manually but am considering trying auto ISO with a minimum shutter speed of say 1/2000?

Good idea or bad idea?
Wandering - and otherwise quite often, I set ISO to Auto because I'd rather get a sharp picture (fast shutter) with a high ISO than a blurry picture (slower shutter) with a low ISO.
I also work with ISO Minimum Shutter Speed

Last edited:
I use Auto ISO for much of my shooting, and it works especially nicely when shooting outdoors and the light changes or the animal or bird goes from sunshine into shadow. I shoot in manual, so I control the shutter speed and the aperture, and most of the time this works out just fine.

Auto ISO all the time, with the applications available today to combat it there is no need to be afraid of high ISO and as many say rather get the shot than not, it also means one less thing to think about before you press the shutter:) Russ.

Depends on the type/time of day

If it is really bright, and it often is in Summer here, I'll set 100 ISO and a min. SS of say 1/1000 in aperture priority (and it will run at over 1/2000 probably)

Sometimes I use AUTO ISO and set a max. at 3200 or 6400 or whatever - but sometimes because the light throws off the metering (when pointing up) and it tries to compensate for what it thinks is going on - when there is likely enough DR to get it back in PP even if it is a little darker on the face.

Or I will shoot full manual and use the thumb dial on the A7M4 for the ISO - which is one thing I wish my A9 had (why Sony why!!!) (so, I have to depress C2 and spin the SS dial --- but if anyone else has a faster method, do LMK)

Auto ISO for me. What really kills a bird shot is movement (the bird, or the photographer). So, I try to preserve SS. Noise is often correctable with Topaz.

I use Auto-ISO because it is the least important of the triangle (can be delt with most denoise programs) and I also use ISO Range with a base of 400.

The common thread is that I'm in the minority by some margin, probably due to me never having used external de noise.

Back