Battery decharging issue...

• Thread starter Deleted Member 5045
  • Start date
D

Deleted Member 5045

Wondering if anyone has had this type of scenario before.

On my A7RV when I first got it and hadn't used it for a few days, from what I'd thought was a fully charged battery was at 85% when I turned it on. At that point I just thought I'd somehow caused that myself in one way or another. I did feel it was odd though because I'm pedantic about keeping the batteries for all my battery operated stuff fully charged at all times.

So maybe two weeks ago the same scenario happened and I thought it was odd but let it go again. Once again, oddly it was on 85% charge.

Anyway, yesterday I turned it on knowing that for absolute certain I charged it on Sunday evening. Crazily enough, it was at 85% yesterday too..!

I called the shop before and he is going to chase it up. Now I understand over a reasonable period of no use that the battery may drop a couple of percent or so, but 15% and on a brand new battery is definitely not right. Another thing is that in general use it drains as per normal and gives no indication of a faulty battery. I don't think I ever noticed my previous Sony NPFZ100 batteries dropping any charge at all either.

Last edited by a moderator:
I experienced similar when I first got my a1, but the drop was much higher. Anything up to 100% over a few days. It stopped after a short while though and I put it down to a new battery needing a few charges. I'm a mechanical engineer by way of background though and have no understanding of battery cycling.

This may sound silly, but try it with an old battery. Sometimes it takes a couple of charge / discharge cycles for a battery to reach full capacity.

I experienced similar when I first got my a1, but the drop was much higher. Anything up to 100% over a few days. It stopped after a short while though and I put it down to a new battery needing a few charges. I'm a mechanical engineer by way of background though and have no understanding of battery cycling.

I left it last night at 83% so I will take a look when I get home. It has been charged around 15 or 20 times so far but.

This may sound silly, but try it with an old battery. Sometimes it takes a couple of charge / discharge cycles for a battery to reach full capacity.

I only have one battery now since I sold my RIII on Monday. Hopefully it comes good but I guess we'll see what old mate at the camera shop says too.

I have seen this happen on mine, but it often recovers if you completely discharge/exhaust the battery and then give it a full charge,

I'm not familiar with the features of that camera but I do have an Olympus which tracks your location even when turned off. That was slowly draining the battery until I found the setting and turned it off.

I have seen this happen on mine, but it often recovers if you completely discharge/exhaust the battery and then give it a full charge,

Actually, I've always run a new phone battery dead for the first two or three charges when I first get it. Not sure why I'm looking at the camera battery in any other way. Cheers mate!

I'm not familiar with the features of that camera but I do have an Olympus which tracks your location even when turned off. That was slowly draining the battery until I found the setting and turned it off.

Will have a quick look for that, but I don't have any location data on my photos or anything. Cheers mate!

When I first moved to Sony there were many reports of batteries discharging while setting. There may even be threads in here about it. No one knew why, but it was happening across several models. It was supposed at the time that the camera was keeping some features active even when it was off, and that it was best to turn certain ones off in the camera when not using it. I can't recall now which features they were. After a while everyone stopped talking about it. A concern at the time, but I've not experienced it with 3 different Sonys.

Last edited:
There were a couple of suggestions - one was putting the camera into airplane mode, so all the radio receivers were off. Another related to third party lenses - apparently at least one kept the IS motors running because it didn't get the "camera off" signal - the suggestion was to press the lens release, turn the lens enough to break contact, then lock it back on - that turned the lens off. I do not know if either of those was effective.

But Tim is right - I haven't seen those reports for a while now.

Just a thought. The A7iv can connect to my phone while the camera is in The off position.

Off is not always off… but you can always whip the battery out.

I always have the camera in airplane mode. I ran video till the battery died last night. Charged it and this morning I still had 100%. Running the battery through a full cycle might be the remedy.

It is weird though. Because as cars are, there is no run in these days, they're already run in from factory. Same as my understanding of lithium ion batteries these days, they've already cycled them before they are sent out, maybe not though.

See how we go from here hey...

When I first moved to Sony there were many reports of batteries discharging while sitting. There may even be threads in here about it. No one knew why, but it was happening across several models. It was supposed at the time that the camera was keeping some features active even when it was off, and that it was best to turn certain ones off in the camera when not using it. I can't recall now which features they were. After a while everyone stopped talking about it. A concern at the time, but I've not experienced it with 3 different Sony's.

It's definitely odd because along with my A6400 and RX100, I've had 5 Sonys and haven't seen an issue like this.

Maybe I'm playing around with my RV in my sleep..! 🤠

I always have the camera in airplane mode. I ran video till the battery died last night. Charged it and this morning I still had 100%. Running the battery through a full cycle might be the remedy.

It is weird though. Because as cars are, there is no run in these days, they're already run in from factory. Same as my understanding of lithium ion batteries these days, they've already cycled them before they are sent out, maybe not though.

See how we go from here hey...
Off topic, but we recently treated ourselves to an absolute bargain F type. I could sell it today after two years of ownership and at least get my money back or even make a little. The manual gave running in periods, I asked online about this and got two differing opinions, do it, and don't do it. I erred on the side of caution but that run in time drove me nuts, a five litre v8 needs to sing. Why else would anyone buy one?

Off topic, but we recently treated ourselves to an absolute bargain F type. I could sell it today after two years of ownership and at least get my money back or even make a little. The manual gave running in periods, I asked online about this and got two differing opinions, do it, and don't do it. I erred on the side of caution but that run in time drove me nuts, a five litre v8 needs to sing. Why else would anyone buy one?

Off topic is my favourite topic! 😃

Interesting, I haven't heard of running a car or road bike in for ages. If it's stated in the manual then I'd definitely be babying it for a while though, it's not really something you want to get wrong..!

Off topic is my favourite topic! 😃

Interesting, I haven't heard of running a car or road bike in for ages. If it's stated in the manual then I'd definitely be babying it for a while though, it's not really something you want to get wrong..!
In a past life I worked for a diesel manufacturer, the process of silicon carbide cylinder liner plateau honing virtually removed any requirement to run in. I'm going back to the late eighties, so hardly cutting edge now. I was highly dubious, but as every throttle blip is recorded, I complied.

Now, is a different matter.

Back