Battery drain.

Some days when I am covering rugby I have two games to do with two camera bodies and if it’s cold those batteries go down quicker. That’s when I miss my Nikon D5 as the battery in that seemed to last for ever.
That may just be the battery capacity Iain, Sony genuine e-mount packs are around about 2280 milliamp I believe and nikon could be some what bigger, although Sony a-mount cameras were heavy on the battery packs, and of course battery life depends on what you have turned on in the camera menu

That may just be the battery capacity Iain, Sony genuine e-mount packs are around about 2280 milliamp I believe and nikon could be some what bigger, although Sony a-mount cameras were heavy on the battery packs, and of course battery life depends on what you have turned on in the camera menu
The EVF doesn’t help either.

So not to change the subject, but while we're waiting for Iain's testing to bear results, is anyone using a pouch to keep spares in? I currently just toss mine in a pocket in my backpack loose. Charged batteries in one, and spent in another. That takes up two pockets. If I had a case I could do it all in one, charged batteries face down and spent face up.

1336578683_859450.jpg

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/859450-REG/Think_Tank_969_DSLR_Battery_Holder_4.html/qa

Thinking about the same type of thing for cards.

So not to change the subject, but while we're waiting for Iain's testing to bear results, is anyone using a pouch to keep spares in? I currently just toss mine in a pocket in my backpack loose. Charged batteries in one, and spent in another. That takes up two pockets. If I had a case I could do it all in one, charged batteries face down and spent face up.

1336578683_859450.jpg

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/859450-REG/Think_Tank_969_DSLR_Battery_Holder_4.html/qa

No but there is a reason the airport authorities ask you to tape the terminal end of your camera battery packs, these little buggers can ark out and they burn furiously or explode, a mate of mine burnt his car out with a dodgy lipo at an rc race meet while it was sat on the floor of his car it touched a metal seat rail and the rest is a lesson on how to keep lion and lipo batteries they are not allowed to charged or kept at the track side unless in a lipo safe box or bag. I for one do not carry camera batteries un taped across terminals or in items of clothing it can be very dangerous

No but there is a reason the airport authorities ask you to tape the terminal end of your camera battery packs, these little buggers can ark out and they burn furiously or explode, a mate of mine burnt his car out with a dodgy lipo at an rc race meet while it was sat on the floor of his car it touched a metal seat rail and the rest is a lesson on how to keep lion and lipo batteries they are not allowed to charged or kept at the track side unless in a lipo safe box or bag. I for one do not carry camera batteries un taped across terminals or in items of clothing it can be very dangerous
Another good reason to use a pouch then.

Found this on fleabay, $11 US and it holds four batteries and four cards. Perfect! I ordered it already!

Another good reason to use a pouch then.

Found this on fleabay, $11 US and it holds four batteries and four cards. Perfect! I ordered it already!
Pouch is better than loose for sure Tim

One in the camera, one in the pocket for a few hours on the birds. I may take a few if I'm lugging a couple of bodies around all day.

Dave (former engineer, with letters after my name, not that I’ve ever used them)

A-mounts were DSLR which unlike mirrorless are not always on when on.

1336578683_859450.jpg

I like the idea of this but these make it difficult to pack in bags which is annoying because if I need my bag I am more likely to be going out in which I need more batteries.

wow what a strange statement did you image I did not know Sony a-mounts were dlsr cameras? I still have 3 and use them

I may take a few if I'm lugging a couple of bodies around all day.

Whether it's reincarnation or murder or what, I love the way photographers talk about bodies!

I had about 5 batteries for a6500, but now only two for a7iv. I hadn't heard of the arcing risk: it sounds scary. I keep the spare in a pocket in the camera bag. Do I need tape too? :unsure:

Whether it's reincarnation or murder or what, I love the way photographers talk about bodies!

I had about 5 batteries for a6500, but now only two for a7iv. I hadn't heard of the arcing risk: it sounds scary. I keep the spare in a pocket in the camera bag. Do I need tape too? :unsure:
Condoms work well.

I normally turn off the network on my Sony cameras. I have only seen rapid discharge on the newer batteries. Once they have been used a few times, the battery discharge settles down. I only use OEM batteries. I do carry them in a battery pouch with the contact down for fully charged and the contacts up upon being used.

One week on and I tested the batteries, I had charged them on a different charger and all but one still showed 100%. The one that didn’t was a third party one.

Last edited:
Ok, well that was unexpected!

Question:

Did you check each one for charge immediately after removing it from the charger, to make sure it was indeed fully charged?

Has anyone found that their Sony batteries drain while in their camera bag. I have just taken two out of my bag that were fully charged when put in, one was below half and the other on was flat.
I have only seen a few percent difference, even after weeks in the camera bag. I have four cameras, and four spare batteries, all Sony, for a total of 8 batteries that I try to cycle in order. I typically carry only one or two spares, even for many hours of shooting.

That pouch looks like a good idea, keeping each battery in a separate pocket. I have been using a pencil case, with the batteries lying flat in it, but the pouch looks better.

Back