Binoculars for a beginner?

Lee H

Followers
Following
Name
Lee Hanley
Hello all
I am looking for a pair of Binoculars for my partner. She comes along with me while I'm out with the camera, I want to buy her a set but I want summit decent but not to expensive, basically a starting point. If anyone can guide me with this I would be grateful.
Cheers in advance
Lee 📸

I think @Maskless Crusader has a partner that does the same thing, he can probably make a recommendation. Tagging him to make sure he sees the post.

My missus has had the Nikon Aculon A30 for about six months now. I originally got her these as decent quality cheapies just to see how she'd go with them, but no upgrade required, she's grown attached to the things. They punch above their weight!

Funny thing is I was that impressed with these that I bought a set for myself, but once I had them there I realised I will never use them as I simply use the camera to zoom in and see where the animals are. At least Liz has a back up set there anyway.

These are the 10x25 mate. Check out the Steiner Safari 10x26 also, these were what I was going to buy her next if she needed an upgrade, I think these look extremely impressive and at a fantastic price. 🙂

Hi lee,
i have used the Nikon Monarch 8 x 42 x 8 deg glasses for many years and find them ideal for bird spotting
when out shooting. they have good reach and remain very effective as light fades at the end of the day.

If you are not familiar with binoculars, for best results the ratio of the magnification, in my case 8x42
is very critical. Anything less than a ratio of 5(42/8) will have reduced light input and hence will have limited
effectiveness in low light conditions...the ratio relates to the degree of light reaching and covering your retina.

The above glasses are waterproof with rubberised coating and have lens covers with a neat carry case...worth
a look in any event.

Hi lee,
i have used the Nikon Monarch 8 x 42 x 8 deg glasses for many years and find them ideal for bird spotting
when out shooting. they have good reach and remain very effective as light fades at the end of the day.

If you are not familiar with binoculars, for best results the ratio of the magnification, in my case 8x42
is very critical. Anything less than a ratio of 5(42/8) will have reduced light input and hence will have limited
effectiveness in low light conditions...the ratio relates to the degree of light reaching and covering your retina.

The above glasses are waterproof with rubberised coating and have lens covers with a neat carry case...worth
a look in any event.
Thanks Mate for your advice, will take a look at em 📸

Hi Lee,
Hope this isn't to late for you. Basically don't get a pair above 10x50 in size as this is the general recognised limit for hand holding a pair. Believe it or not Lidl do a decent starter pair for about £15 (found out about this on astronomy course I did). It seems all the above mentioned are below 10x50 so all good starters. Your main question is what are you prepared to lay out. Hope this helps.

Hi Lee,
Hope this isn't to late for you. Basically don't get a pair above 10x50 in size as this is the general recognised limit for hand holding a pair. Believe it or not Lidl do a decent starter pair for about £15 (found out about this on astronomy course I did). It seems all the above mentioned are below 10x50 so all good starters. Your main question is what are you prepared to lay out. Hope this helps.
Hello Arnie

No not to late Mate, I am still trying to decide. Are the Aldi still selling them? These may be ideal for me, but definitely my partner, as she will probably not use em as much as me. Let's know if they are still available Mate 📸👍🏽

Hi Lee,
First it's Lidl not Aldi. Second it's one on those middle row deals they do as and when. From memory the deal usually runs around Feb/Mar time. I did my course just 2 years ago when I was told about it. Last year I also noticed they were in again. So keep your eys on the Lidl offers for a while. The advice our tutor gave us was to bbuy them go out side and try them. If not happy staight back in to change them or get a refund. They can't have been that bad as he went to buy about 15 pairs for his outdoor classes. Hope this helps.

Hi Lee,
First it's Lidl not Aldi. Second it's one on those middle row deals they do as and when. From memory the deal usually runs around Feb/Mar time. I did my course just 2 years ago when I was told about it. Last year I also noticed they were in again. So keep your eys on the Lidl offers for a while. The advice our tutor gave us was to bbuy them go out side and try them. If not happy staight back in to change them or get a refund. They can't have been that bad as he went to buy about 15 pairs for his outdoor classes. Hope this helps.
Thanks Mate, I will keep an eye on the offers. Appreciated 👍🏽

Hi,
Last note. I've checked my previous diaries and my course was all March/very begining of April so start looking from say mid March onward.

I don't know how much you want to pay. The hawk range are good and London camera exchange do them.

Hi Iain, thanks for your reply. I would be needing not to expensive to start with maybe £50-£70. I believe the Hawk range are very good.

Look out for secondhand ones. The pair I got my wife were 8x42 and were at the time £129.99 so could be in your price bracket S/H.

Look out for secondhand ones. The pair I got my wife were 8x42 and were at the time £129.99 so could be in your price bracket S/H.
Will do Mate and thanks 📸

I use Kowa BD II XD 8x42 binoculars. The glass has the same coatings and comes from the same factory as high-end Zeiss binoculars but they are much more affordable. The biggest benefit I find is that they have a very wide field of view. 8x magnification is easy to handhold and a lot of light comes in through the 42mm lenses.

I use Kowa BD II XD 8x42 binoculars. The glass has the same coatings and comes from the same factory as high-end Zeiss binoculars but they are much more affordable. The biggest benefit I find is that they have a very wide field of view. 8x magnification is easy to handhold and a lot of light comes in through the 42mm lenses.
Matthias thanks, I will take a look at these. Cheers for your input 📸👍🏽

Wasn't going to add my 0.02 because I don't know what's available over there. My son bought me a pair of Vortex Raptor 8.5 power, which is kind of a nice compromise between the 8 and 10 power. They're fairly small and light and give good imaging. The best feature though is light transmission. I can look in a dark corner of the woods or under a dark bush and see it brighter than with the naked eye. Pretty good for binoculars with 32mm objective lenses. For $99 US they're a great buy. Add them to you list of brands to check out, if you can get them.

Wasn't going to add my 0.02 because I don't know what's available over there. My son bought me a pair of Vortex Raptor 8.5 power, which is kind of a nice compromise between the 8 and 10 power. They're fairly small and light and give good imaging. The best feature though is light transmission. I can look in a dark corner of the woods or under a dark bush and see it brighter than with the naked eye. Pretty good for binoculars with 32mm objective lenses. For $99 US they're a great buy. Add them to you list of brands to check out, if you can get them.

Will take a look mate cheers 👍🏽

Would these be the correct ones Brownie,

Would these be the correct ones Brownie,

They would!

Thanks Mate, I will keep an eye on the offers. Appreciated 👍🏽
Hi Lee,
Just recived an email this morning saying Lidl are selling the 10x50 binoculars again. They've gone up to the mega price of £19.99. If you haven't bought any might be worth a ganders.

Hi Lee,
Just recived an email this morning saying Lidl are selling the 10x50 binoculars again. They've gone up to the mega price of £19.99. If you haven't bought any might be worth a ganders.
Arnie, cheers Mate, I will look into it, appreciated 📸👍🏽

Back