Bird Hide

For those of you w blinds, do you have land you set it on? Or do you take to public trails and such and set it just off trail? I've considered getting one, also considered a ghili suit, but don't have anywhere to place it.
Hi, I approached a local farmer and asked if OK to put up a hide or use a portable hide in the wooded area of his farm, if you ask they can say yes or no but don't ask don't get. Also use the portable hide I linked to when out looking for owls, kingfisher etc. find it really handy especially Winter time.

A comfortable chair, a wide-brim hat and netting covering everything (except my feet). Works amazingly well.

So, birds are attracted to your feet? :unsure:

For those of you w blinds, do you have land you set it on? Or do you take to public trails and such and set it just off trail? I've considered getting one, also considered a ghili suit, but don't have anywhere to place it.
A Ghillie Suit is placed on your body. Hope this helps. :p

Most of these blinds pop up and down in seconds. If there's no wind you don't even need to stake. Public land use is very typical.

So, birds are attracted to your feet? :unsure:

A Ghillie Suit is placed on your body. Hope this helps. :p

Most of these blinds pop up and down in seconds. If there's no wind you don't even need to stake. Public land use is very typical.
OK, ya got me on that one. :LOL:

Agree with Kev to a large degree.....

Knowledge of subject behavioural characteristics and working within these constraints trumps camo every time in my view.

Wildlife subjects in environments with frequent exposure to humans versus those who are'nt are the difference between
subject approachability and skitishness.........

In either circumstances the former requires some limited degree of waiting for the appropriate shooting moment whilst the latter
some level of exposure to the subject over time, camouflaged or not, to the time when shot opportunities will arise as they
Invariably do...its a question of time versus persistence.

Wooden, fixed hides are great for specific subject shooting, and can be very accommodating, but they have their limitations ,
whilst in the field,in my view, prior subject behavioural knowledge combined with a fisherman like vision to tough it out until
the fruits of your endevours arrive will trump camo every time.

Wildlife and avian subjects are very habitual in their nature and practical field skills coupled with subject behavioural knowledge
Will always win through in my opinion.

The above said, based on photographer unhindered full body physical capability, those with physical constraints such as
Ralph(Aussie) , who has willingly shared his constraints above and in the past with the forum, are well understood and
speak to the view whatever you need to do to follow your passion is both recognised and admirable and speaks more to
the fortitude of the individual and comfort level rather than raw shot optimisation of available Camo configurations.

Here in Australian we have so much land and spaces about in national parks that you could put one up and no one would care too much. And here the main people who are birders we all know each other more by our cars. So it would be like they drive up and see a Black Jeep and they would Say Ralph is out here somewhere. As I have had many times while walking about and missed people and seen them at meetings to be told seen you car the other day but missed you. So this is what I would do here.

Back