Name
Ralph Ernesti
Country
Australia
City/State
Mildura
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
I am so close to closing the deal on buying one of these bird hides. I will not be able to stand up full in it as I am 5 foot 10 inches but it would be very close.
I can take my camera bag into it and my seat as I think I have figured out I can fit my deck chair inside of it.
The reason I am thinking along these lines is I am getting slower and after a full days walking I take close to a week to recover.
So with one of these I might just have to move 3 or 4 times and sit and wait to see what comes along.
I know it will be okay in winter but could get overly hot inside in summer. These are thing which will come to to open when the time comes.

Do others here have one and use one and if so what are the down side to them. Thanks.

I have used pop up hides in the past for vermin shooting. I found it fairly comfortable for an hour or so with a folding chair in it. They are affected by wind quite a bit (the external variety), so a bit of shelter helps.

A flask is a good addition.

I have used pop up hides in the past for vermin shooting. I found it fairly comfortable for an hour or so with a folding chair in it. They are affected by wind quite a bit (the external variety), so a bit of shelter helps.

A flask is a good addition.
The hide I have looked at has got pin down points on the edges and I certainly would take a flash with me with one of these.
I know there is a couble chair one but I can't find that one on ebay abut found it on youtube and that looks okay for me as one seat for me and one for my camera bag.. Thanks for your reply.

A lightweight comfortable chair is key.

You may want to look into a hunting blind instead of a dedicated photo blind. I suspect they'll cost less, and most of them have screens that will let air pass without being seen, if you don't plan on shooting in that direction. Also, look for a blind that has a roof vent to let the warm air out.

They do make some that you can stand up in if you look around.

The hide I have looked at has got pin down points on the edges
Most will come with stake loops to stake at the corners, but they will also come with cord to add guy ropes to help stabilize them in the wind. There are loops about halfway up the corners to tie them off. I leave the ropes hang when not in use.

I see a guy on YouTube using a hide on his property. It’s basically a camo tent, I think meant for shooting. Has a deck chair and esky, with openings on each side. He leaves it in place, but he has a few acres by the looks.

*edit: Nigel Danson

Last edited:
A lightweight comfortable chair is key.

You may want to look into a hunting blind instead of a dedicated photo blind. I suspect they'll cost less, and most of them have screens that will let air pass without being seen, if you don't plan on shooting in that direction. Also, look for a blind that has a roof vent to let the warm air out.

They do make some that you can stand up in if you look around.
It is a little hard to find the right one here as most are made in America an and not here. The talk about shooting through the screens but this is more bow and arrow side of things. The one I have looked at stands inside of about 5 foot 7 inches just slightly low but I feel for what I need it could be good and now these have got the tie downs. I have got time to keep looking to pick out the tight one which will suit me. So I will keep looking and thank you.

I see a guy on YouTube using a hide on his property. It’s basically a camo tent, I think meant for shooting. Has a deck chair and esky, with openings on each side. He leaves it in place, but he has a few acres by the looks.
I will go looking for this fella as it might be the one I need or want. Even if I have to make a few changes to get it the way I need it. Thanks.

I will go looking for this fella as it might be the one I need or want. Even if I have to make a few changes to get it the way I need it. Thanks.
Nigel Danson. I’ll see if I can find the relevant v blog

They are probably very useful but I think you look a tool sitting in one, so I would never. I'm look bad enough as it is :D

They are probably very useful but I think you look a tool sitting in one, so I would never. I'm look bad enough as it is :D
I wouldn't care due to my back. That to me in more important that what people think. If you worry about what they think you might never go back out. SO I just don't care.

If you're doing it right you won't look like anything. No one would be able to see you!

I don't think one should worry about looking like a tool by people wearing several very bright colors, playing music for everyone to hear, whether they want to or not, and saying "I never see any wildlife here."

I don't think one should worry about looking like a tool by people wearing several very bright colors, playing music for everyone to hear, whether they want to or not, and saying "I never see any wildlife here."
Reminds me of a woods photo walk I took once with people who were more used to urban settings. Yack yack yack, the entire time, and wondered why there were no animals.

See I flatly refuse to join the camo brigade, I'm not in the army! Honestly, I don't think it makes as much difference and being quiet and moving slowly.

I remember being out shooting Short Eared Owls once, and there were guys in camo top to toe including rucksacks and tripods, honestly every bit, probably socks and pants too. Anyway, they were both perched on top of a river bank, which is kind of defeating the point, but a Shortie flew from the field just as a guy who was wearing a jacket that looked like an inflatable life raft walked by. It flew right in front of him without a care. I'm not sure what the army thought, but I found it hilarious.

a Shortie flew from the field just as a guy who was wearing a jacket that looked like an inflatable life raft walked by. It flew right in front of him without a care.
Isn't that the desired result?

See I flatly refuse to join the camo brigade, I'm not in the army! Honestly, I don't think it makes as much difference and being quiet and moving slowly.
I am not talking about wearing camo just neutral green/tan/grey as I have been basically invisible to others on the trails. Personally I have noticed a difference in bird behavior when I am out with another person and they wear a neutral green/tan/grey vs them wearing white/blue/red/yellows.

Yep I always wear dark, muted colours, it's all that's needed, as long as hiding the white lens with a skin.

Here you go Kev!

ghillie-suit-buying-tips.jpg

Here you go Kev!

ghillie-suit-buying-tips.jpg
That's what some Americans class as a big foot sighting. If I saw someone wearing that I'd die laughing (and also strike a match to see him run)

A comfortable chair, a wide-brim hat and netting covering everything (except my feet). Works amazingly well.

Well I often do a lunchtime photo walk during a work day at the Tasmanian Arboretum wearing high viz.

Doesn't seem to faze the wildlife and I seem to do ok with the photos.

For those of you w blinds, do you have land you set it on? Or do you take to public trails and such and set it just off trail? I've considered getting one, also considered a ghili suit, but don't have anywhere to place it.

Back