Name
Ralph Ernesti
Country
Australia
City/State
Mildura
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
Went out with the local birding group and there were 10 of us including me.
I took up the back stop and I really don't mind doing this as I have done it a few times.
I ave even waited for the car that was doing this as they are old and don't drive as fast so I just slow down and let them catch up them move
on again as I think this is the right thing to do.
But today we stopped and went for a walk into the bush and we all normally go all ways.
I seen birds to my right and made my way to them and get a few shots.
I walked about and then thought I better make my way back to the car.

As I got close I could see cars driving off. I got no warning what so ever.
I no one called out as I would of heard them and no one beeped on the car's horn.
No all they done was drive off and leave me behind on my own.

I got to a fork in the road and there was no making's as to point me in the right direction.
So I followed the fence line, oh and you couldn't tell if there were new car track in the dust either.
I drove down about 1.5 mile and I never caught up with them.
I used my GPS to get me back to the way we got in and went home.

Oh, sorry, one one called up on the 2 way radio either. Then I get a phone call and all the fella
who is the leader could do was laugh about it. Well stuff him as this is my last outing with them.

Went out with the local birding group and there were 10 of us including me.
I took up the back stop and I really don't mind doing this as I have done it a few times.
I ave even waited for the car that was doing this as they are old and don't drive as fast so I just slow down and let them catch up them move
on again as I think this is the right thing to do.
But today we stopped and went for a walk into the bush and we all normally go all ways.
I seen birds to my right and made my way to them and get a few shots.
I walked about and then thought I better make my way back to the car.

As I got close I could see cars driving off. I got no warning what so ever.
I no one called out as I would of heard them and no one beeped on the car's horn.
No all they done was drive off and leave me behind on my own.

I got to a fork in the road and there was no making's as to point me in the right direction.
So I followed the fence line, oh and you couldn't tell if there were new car track in the dust either.
I drove down about 1.5 mile and I never caught up with them.
I used my GPS to get me back to the way we got in and went home.

Oh, sorry, one one called up on the 2 way radio either. Then I get a phone call and all the fella
who is the leader could do was laugh about it. Well stuff him as this is my last outing with them.
I despise things like this, hateful and unnecessary. Bollocks to them Ralph. Do your own thing.

I think that says a lot about the quality of "leader" they have.

They do not deserve your helpfulness. Glad to hear you got home OK.

Birders tend to be oblivious to what the group makeup is like after about the 2nd bird spotted. What makes this bad for photographers is that we will tend to hang in an area longer or move away from the group to get a better angle. Anytime you are with birders and going to hang back or go somewhere else make sure you notify a couple members of the group.

What a bunch of a**wipes.

That’s pretty rude of them Ralph. You’re better off without them.

I despise things like this, hateful and unnecessary. Bollocks to them Ralph. Do your own thing.
I have on the way home that this was the last time I would go with them.
I put up a post on my page and the leader rang but I have no idea what he wanted as he proved what he is able already to me.
I think that says a lot about the quality of "leader" they have.

They do not deserve your helpfulness. Glad to hear you got home OK.
I have had a few idea's which I told him of and nothing even happened with them.
But all of a sudden some one else make the same suggestion and he is all over it like it
is the best thing since sliced bread, so Proof is there that my participation is not wanted or needed.
Birders tend to be oblivious to what the group makeup is like after about the 2nd bird spotted. What makes this bad for photographers is that we will tend to hang in an area longer or move away from the group to get a better angle. Anytime you are with birders and going to hang back or go somewhere else make sure you notify a couple members of the group.
In this case that actually happened as a good member asked me if it was a certain bird and I answered it was that one
and then he was gone to somewhere as I never seen him move off. But he must of as his car was gone as well when I got back to them.
What a bunch of a**wipes.
Yep I fully agree as not one gave any concern. I was like I was just rubbish and it was okay to be left behind.
This will never happen as I was on my last outing with them after this.
That’s pretty rude of them Ralph. You’re better off without them.
My plans are exactly that and I will only be a ghost on that page after this.

In this case that actually happened as a good member asked me if it was a certain bird and I answered it was that one
and then he was gone to somewhere as I never seen him move off. But he must of as his car was gone as well when I got back to them.
Why I tell you that you need to make sure multiple birders know you are going to be slow/out of sight for a few minutes. You have learned this lesson now, my learning of this lesson wasn't quite as bad but could have been much worse. I was in a park a couple hours drive from where I live (first time there and naturally a place with little to no cell reception), a group of us had all taken a single car down to meet up with some others. Late in the walk (and also the day) I went down near a pond to see if I could photograph a snapping turtle, this is naturally the point in which the birds headed off somewhere. It took me about an hour and half to find a place with good enough reception that I could load up maps to see where I was and another hour to get to the parking lot as trails are more difficult to follow after sunset. I also probably took a little longer because I was annoyed that I was told that they probably would have left me if I wasn't the one that had driven them, which my FATHER only remembered after not finding his car in the lot and realizing that mine was there.

To birders humans are not important, if you do not make sure they know you are with them they will forget you quickly. Also if there is ever a need to drive make sure you are one of the ones that drives. Birders are not bad people, they are just not necessarily fully aware of what else is happening when they bird.

Not all groups are as rude or as oblivious, though; some years ago I went on a few weekend trips with fellow photographers, mostly birders/wildlife shooters, and we all stayed at or near the same location each time. When we went out on our morning/afternoon/evening excursions we usually went in a couple of cars, rather than having everyone driving him/herself.

The organizer and a couple of others were always very careful when we were at a site to allow plenty of time for shooting, space for a bit of wandering, but also to make sure that everyone was accounted for prior to getting back into the vehicles to go to the next area or to return to our lodgings. Sometimes the group would start walking down the road within a given area while I was still shooting but I was always alerted to this and always mindful that I needed to finish what I was doing, then quickly move to catch up to the group. No one ever got lost, no one ever got left behind. Thank goodness!

I can only imagine how awful -- terrifying -- that must feel, though, to be the one suddenly left to his or her own devices in a strange area, with or without a vehicle with which to even leave the area. A group just up and leaving someone behind as they move on simply is not right, and certainly not respectful, thoughtful or fair to anyone who is participating in a group activity such as this. This sort of behavior makes me very angry.

Why I tell you that you need to make sure multiple birders know you are going to be slow/out of sight for a few minutes. You have learned this lesson now, my learning of this lesson wasn't quite as bad but could have been much worse. I was in a park a couple hours drive from where I live (first time there and naturally a place with little to no cell reception), a group of us had all taken a single car down to meet up with some others. Late in the walk (and also the day) I went down near a pond to see if I could photograph a snapping turtle, this is naturally the point in which the birds headed off somewhere. It took me about an hour and half to find a place with good enough reception that I could load up maps to see where I was and another hour to get to the parking lot as trails are more difficult to follow after sunset. I also probably took a little longer because I was annoyed that I was told that they probably would have left me if I wasn't the one that had driven them, which my FATHER only remembered after not finding his car in the lot and realizing that mine was there.

To birders humans are not important, if you do not make sure they know you are with them they will forget you quickly. Also if there is ever a need to drive make sure you are one of the ones that drives. Birders are not bad people, they are just not necessarily fully aware of what else is happening when they bird.
I do agree that on these outing that the birds come 1st as this is not the 1st time that they have done this to me. But the 1st time there was car horns and calls coming out. The next time there was nothing like this one. And it was an area unknown to me and I am glad I set up my GPS before we moved to this position. I used that to get me back to the beginning. But I think it was the way it was handle, as if it was just some sort of joke. It wasn't to me. I was told 2 women were concerned on my where abouts but no one ever made a move to back track to see where I was or leave a marker of some sort. I know for a fact it would not happen if it was me incharge, which again makes me not angry, maybe more annoyed. It could of been sorted as soon as they moved off by asking if we were all ready to go and they would of got no reply from me as I was the last car in the line up. This was at one time a good group to be with it has changed so much that it is now time to venture out on my own and do things at my own pace.
Not all groups are as rude or as oblivious, though; some years ago I went on a few weekend trips with fellow photographers, mostly birders/wildlife shooters, and we all stayed at or near the same location each time. When we went out on our morning/afternoon/evening excursions we usually went in a couple of cars, rather than having everyone driving him/herself.

The organizer and a couple of others were always very careful when we were at a site to allow plenty of time for shooting, space for a bit of wandering, but also to make sure that everyone was accounted for prior to getting back into the vehicles to go to the next area or to return to our lodgings. Sometimes the group would start walking down the road within a given area while I was still shooting but I was always alerted to this and always mindful that I needed to finish what I was doing, then quickly move to catch up to the group. No one ever got lost, no one ever got left behind. Thank goodness!

I can only imagine how awful -- terrifying -- that must feel, though, to be the one suddenly left to his or her own devices in a strange area, with or without a vehicle with which to even leave the area. A group just up and leaving someone behind as they move on simply is not right, and certainly not respectful, thoughtful or fair to anyone who is participating in a group activity such as this. This sort of behavior makes me very angry.
I was in ear shot of where we stopped until a few trees got in the way and when I headed back to the cars I seen them leave. I have been told as it was a very hot day that they wanted to get as much covered before the heat kicked in even further. I told the leader after the 1st time that was all should carry a 2 way radio and when it is time to go a simple call would alert everyone and and this would never happen again. But I was totally ignored and a group I once enjoyed going out with now is a group I want nothing to do with. Yes it is disrespectful and is maybe one of the feeling I went through. I was just luck to have the feeling this was going to happen and set my phone GPS program going. It got to to where I knew I was and then home. But again unsure of the feeling's running through me but I know it wasn't anger.

Really disappointed in the behaviour of this group Ralph. Not only is their behaviour disrespectful, and rude, but given the environment surrounding Mildura, it is potentially very dangerous. Speaking of which, stay safe in the extreme weather tomorrow, and I hope you find some GOOD mates to enjoy travelling around the bush with soon/

Really disappointed in the behaviour of this group Ralph. Not only is their behaviour disrespectful, and rude, but given the environment surrounding Mildura, it is potentially very dangerous. Speaking of which, stay safe in the extreme weather tomorrow, and I hope you find some GOOD mates to enjoy travelling around the bush with soon/
To this day I have not heard one word about it. So it to me shows that there has been no respect coming my way.
I have got one old mate now in old I mean this how it is said. But I enjoy his company and I do make allowances to cover him.
At the same time I am not the quickest one either so it works out well. Though he doesn't go out too much now.
So I go to places that I know quite well and if I was able to find a good partner I would be very happy.

Back