Followers
Following
Name
Keith Horkins
Country
Canada
City/State
Ontario
I was asked by a friend about the photographs I take of birds, so I started to think about how many different species of bird I have actually photographed solely in my backyard and I was quite surprised how many I had photographed. Below is a list of 32 different varieties that I photographed last year, it’s quite incredible when I see it written down and makes me realize how truly privileged I am to have these beautiful creatures visit me.

Bluejay

Northern Cardinal

Chickadee

Dark eyed Junko

House finch

Purple finch

American goldfinch

Pine Siskin

Baltimore Oriole

Ruby Throated hummingbird

Downy woodpecker

Hairy Woodpecker

Pileated woodpecker

Northern flicker

Rose breasted grosbeak

Indigo bunting

American Robin

Common grackle

Starling

Yellow bellied sapsucker

House sparrow

Song sparrow

White crowned sparrow

White throated sparrow

Chipping sparrow

American tree sparrow

Eastern Phoebe

Redwing blackbird

Mourning dove

White breasted nuthatch

Red breasted nuthatch

House Wren

Brown headed cowbird

That's a great variety of species.

Awesome we look forward to seeing these guys when you get some shots

Great list that would make many quite jealous of you being able to get them in your backyard.

Keith,

Great neighbourhood.

Most people don't realize the variety of birds that you can find in areas. I have a library and like 10 acre park across the street from me which there is this old dead tree in which I have spotted (can see if from my home office) or photographed just on that tree:
Bald Eagle, Osprey, Red-Tailed Hawk, Red-Shouldered Hawk, Cooper's Hawk, Merlin, Turkey Vulture
Red Bellied Woodpecker, Downey Woodpecker, Northern Flicker
Great Blue Heron, Great Egret, Green Heron
Norther Cardinal, European Wren, American Crow, Brown-headed Cowbird, Tree Swallow, American Robin, Mockingbird, Gray Catbird, Mourning Dove (alive and as a Merlin meal), Blue Jay, Gold Finch, House Finch, Song Sparrow, Cedar Waxwing, Black and White Warbler

The birds of prey haven't been as active on it since they trimmed it last year.

Back