Name
Ralph Ernesti
Country
Australia
City/State
Mildura
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
I was at home and I got a message that the Wild Budgies were back in our area.
It is a 40 or so kilometer drive from home but I missed out last year so I wasn't missing this year.
I got out to this area called Castle Crossing and drove in and went to the back of the block.
And there they were.
Searching 14-10-2022 (349).JPG
  • ILCE-7M3
  • 100-400mm F5-6.3 DG DN OS | Contemporary 020
  • 400.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/1000 sec
  • ISO 500
Searching 14-10-2022 (350).JPG
  • ILCE-7M3
  • 400.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/1000 sec
  • ISO 500
Searching 14-10-2022 (433).JPG
  • ILCE-7M3
  • 271.5 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/1000 sec
  • ISO 500
Searching 14-10-2022 (439) - Copy.JPG
  • ILCE-7M3
  • 271.5 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/1000 sec
  • ISO 500
Searching 14-10-2022 (461).JPG
  • ILCE-7M3
  • 271.5 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/1600 sec
  • ISO 500
Searching 14-10-2022 (607).JPG
  • ILCE-7M3
  • 385.5 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/200 sec
  • ISO 500

3d one down is my favorite.

3d one down is my favorite.
For me I don't have a favourite out of this lot. But I have got a lot of shots of them this year as well.

They are beautiful.
With luck us lot here might be able to get photo's of the young ones with their heads out of the hollows while they are being fed.
Thanks for your comments.

I had more than a few of these while growing up. I have to wonder how they react to humans as they are not domesticated?

I had more than a few of these while growing up. I have to wonder how they react to humans as they are not domesticated?
In the wild as a flock they react quick quickly and take to the wing as you approach.
But if you take it slow you can get quite close as I have to with the 400mm lens.

Wow… excellent.. such beautiful colours..

Wow… excellent.. such beautiful colours..
These are good to watch when they are flying in a flock together, and when they stop this beautiful green shines through.
Thanks for your comments.

It is crazy how some animals are with humans isn't it! I had that bearded dragon literally at my feet for 15 minutes a few weeks ago, I've had a wild lorikeet sitting on my shoulder till I forced her to get off, a dragonfly just chilling out on my big toe last Saturday.

A mate was actually patting a kookaburra that landed on his back patio chair recently...

I reckon animals can sense good. That's why you have those people (everyone knows a couple of them) that normally very friendly and affectionate dogs just won't have any bar of...

It is crazy how some animals are with humans isn't it! I had that bearded dragon literally at my feet for 15 minutes a few weeks ago, I've had a wild lorikeet sitting on my shoulder till I forced her to get off, a dragonfly just chilling out on my big toe last Saturday.

A mate was actually patting a kookaburra that landed on his back patio chair recently...
You just can never tell what some wild animal/bird/insect will react towards you.
I know the Apostlebirds maybe the one you can say without a doubt that you can get the closest to no matter what.
But the rest it is so hard to pick what they will do.
I know I can hardly ever get a Shingleback to open up its mouth to defend itself.
They just seem to know that I mean them no harm.
But this is what make this so much better.

You probably just have to try a little harder to scare those Shinglebacks mate, maybe you need a bigger lens... 😀

You probably just have to try a little harder to scare those Shinglebacks mate, maybe you need a bigger lens... 😀
I worked out I need to wave my foot over their head but I really don't like to do that but here and there you need to get that shot.
But you are right in that they know. I have had bird land infront of me and then carry on like a pork chop until I start to take a few shots.
Or they will sit there and look right at you and it is like well here I am take my photo.
These times make it so good but it doesn't happen every time but when it does you have to be ready.

Lol you are spot on! Made me think of this one, he has this look of 'are you bloody serious, can't a bird just stand here and enjoy the afternoon sun without idiots taking photos...' 😄

View attachment 27122

Answer: No you can't. Us idiots love taking photos of birds who are enjoying the afternoon sun... 😎

Lol you are spot on! Made me think of this one, he has this look of 'are you bloody serious, can't a bird just stand here and enjoy the afternoon sun without idiots taking photos...' 😄

View attachment 27122

Answer: No you can't. Us idiots love taking photos of birds who are enjoying the afternoon sun... 😎
I actually got one so close at the Lock 11 in Mildura and it was the same thing but the afternoon Winters sun. It was happy soaking it up and along I come and it was how you said it with the look it was giving, but I got some nice shots of it, as we must.

Nice shots. Funny and pretty little birds.

Nice shots. Funny and pretty little birds.
Thanks and you can see why they have become the most popular caged bird in the world.
They make good pets and good little talkers as well.

Back