Followers
Following
Name
Jeff
Country
United States
City/State
Elk Grove, CA
On Sunday the 24th of September, my wife and I attended the California Capital Airshow for the second year in a row. I was a smarter photographer this year compared to last but I had some big issues to deal with. The major problem was smoke from 2 wildfires, one to the southeast of us, the other to the north. The result was some knarly (Spelling?) destruction of some pretty good shots. In the end, I shot 1,426 images and posted a little more than 200 to Flickr after 6 1/2 long days of processing where I was trying to make silk purses out of cow ears. I may start a discussion later about processing in fire smoke. If anyone has had this experience, please PM me.

So, two links for you folks, aircraft parked and aircraft flying:
Aircraft parked

Aircraft Flying

If you look at the pictures, please look at all the work I did in the description area below the photos.

And of course, I have a couple of teasers....
dsc03379dsc03379-Enhanced-NR-2.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 GM OSS
  • 400.0 mm
  • ƒ/5.6
  • 1/2000 sec
  • ISO 160

Notice anything strange in this photo above?

dsc03518dsc03518-Enhanced-NR.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • 400.0 mm
  • ƒ/5.6
  • 1/2000 sec
  • ISO 125

A pair for you....

dsc04368dsc04368-Enhanced-NR.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • 315.0 mm
  • ƒ/5.6
  • 1/2000 sec
  • ISO 200

Not sure whether I like the Blue Angels or the Thunderbirds paint schemes best.

Last edited:
The first plane has an extra pair of wheels.

On Sunday the 24th of September, my wife and I attended the California Capital Airshow for the second year in a row. I was a smarter photographer this year compared to last but I had some big issues to deal with. The major problem was smoke from 2 wildfires, one to the southeast of us, the other to the north. The result was some knarly (Spelling?) destruction of some pretty good shots. In the end, I shot 1,426 images and posted a little more than 200 to Flickr after 6 1/2 long days of processing where I was trying to make silk purses out of cow ears. I may start a discussion later about processing in fire smoke. If anyone has had this experience, please PM me.

So, two links for you folks, aircraft parked and aircraft flying:
Aircraft parked

Aircraft Flying

If you look at the pictures, please look at all the work I did in the description area below the photos.

And of course, I have a coupled of teasers....View attachment 47858

Notice anything strange in this photo above?

View attachment 47859

A pair for you....

View attachment 47860

Not sure whether I like the Blue Angels or the Thunderbirds paint schemes best.
Landing gear is normal for a KC10 (military variant of DC10). The KC10 looks like its about to nose strike a bird! Or is this meant to be a photograph of two birds in flight :)

Landing gear is normal for a KC10 (military variant of DC10). The KC10 looks like its about to nose strike a bird! Or is this meant to be a photograph of two birds in flight :)
The photo was not doctored. My guess is that may have resulted in a bird strike. I might look at my JPG backups and see if I could see anything a few frames later.

Excellent Jeff.

Lovely shots Jeff. It's a shame about the smoke but it doesn't appear to have hurt these shots, at least to my eyes!

Back