Can a laptop replace a workstation for video editing

Welcome to the New Sony Alpha Shooters Community
Our community was only launched in August 2020 but is already thriving thanks to many amazing and helpful members. We'd love to welcome you on board too!
Join Now

Raindog

Original poster
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Aug 27, 2020
Hi all. After 9 months of turmoil, HP have finally agreed to either refund my HP mini Z2 workstation or replace it plus 10% off a new HP purchase. I invested in this workstation primarily with video editing in mind. But I’m now rethinking my strategy and looking at buying a laptop because I travel for work about one week a month, and the place I travel to is where I do 99% of my video/photography. The option to review/edit on site would be really helpful. I can’t afford a workstation and a laptop, but I have a nice monitor at home I could hook the laptop up to. Interested in whether any of you experienced video shooters out there think this is a good idea?

Thank you for your advice…

AlphaWorld

Well Known Member
Followers
Following
Apr 8, 2021
Name
Tony
Well, I know a few photographers happily using a MacBook M1 Air for all their photography processing.

I don’t know anyone doing video on a laptop, but the M1 and M2 do have hardware assisted video codecs, so I suspect they can do video, too. Apple showed images of someone doing video on a laptop in their announcement of the M2 laptops earlier this year…

I know you are talking Windows, but I’m pointing out that it is theoretically within reach of a laptop.

Reactions: Raindog

Raindog

Original poster
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Aug 27, 2020
Well, I know a few photographers happily using a MacBook M1 Air for all their photography processing.

I don’t know anyone doing video on a laptop, but the M1 and M2 do have hardware assisted video codecs, so I suspect they can do video, too. Apple showed images of someone doing video on a laptop in their announcement of the M2 laptops earlier this year…

I know you are talking Windows, but I’m pointing out that it is theoretically within reach of a laptop.
I am actually looking closely at apple computers for the first time in my life. Haven’t been keen in the past, but my priorities are now changing, and everything else I have is apple (phone etc).

FowlersFreeTime

Veteran Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Nov 19, 2020
Name
Chris
Country
United States
City/State
Pembroke Pines/FL
I made a few youtube videos during pandemic lockdown, nothing professional, but I used my laptop and Adobe Premiere Pro. I would say yes a laptop can do the job, but two things were annoying to me:
  • Screen real-estate: you are going to use an external monitor most of the time right? if so, the cramped workspace won't bother you much.
  • Trackpads kinda suck: I opted for an external mouse to have better control over things on the small screen.

Brownie

Well Known Member
Followers
Following
Oct 22, 2021
Name
Tim
Country
United States
City/State
SE Michigan
Laptops are fine. Provided you buy the correct one performance is no different than a good workstation. Some Macs were made specifically for this reason. If you go with a PC, make sure you have enough processor. It doesn't matter how much RAM is onboard if you have a slow processor. My little i3 won't cut the mustard, can't do anything more than a 720P video, it even bogs down under 1080. Not a problem for my use but would infuriate a video guy.

FowlersFreeTime

Veteran Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Nov 19, 2020
Name
Chris
Country
United States
City/State
Pembroke Pines/FL
Laptops are fine. Provided you buy the correct one performance is no different than a good workstation. Some Macs were made specifically for this reason. If you go with a PC, make sure you have enough processor. It doesn't matter how much RAM is onboard if you have a slow processor. My little i3 won't cut the mustard, can't do anything more than a 720P video, it even bogs down under 1080. Not a problem for my use but would infuriate a video guy.
I can second that. The laptop I am using is a lower spec i5 that I bought for my wife. I cheaped out thinking I would only ever use my desktop. Big mistake. I am always out of memory (HDD) on that machine, and the 8gb of RAM is just enough for my purposes of 1080p video processing. I would need more of everything if I was doing 4k video.

Reactions: Brownie

iain clyne

Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Apr 9, 2022
Name
Iain Clyne
If you have the right spec on a laptop it can do most things a base station can do. I've used a MacBook Pro in various forms for the last 25 years with no issues.

pmenear

Followers
Following
Aug 19, 2021
Name
Peter Menear
I made the switch from workstation to laptop with a Dell XPS 15 9510 i7-11800H, 32gb ram, 4TB drive, nvidia rtx 3050 Ti grafix. I had to add 4 external SSD drives and 7200rpm backups so the switch was not cheap. I still use my workstation monitor but I can now take my work with me as I travel, the laptop screen is very good just a bit small and the external solid state drives go with me. Everything works as good as the workstation but the extra drives add cost.

Raindog

Original poster
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Aug 27, 2020
Thanks for all the suggestions. I ended up going for a MacBook Pro 16inch. The best specs available without waiting 2 weeks were 32gb and 1tb hard drive. Moving from windows is always going to be weird but wow what a computer. Happy with 32gb but I already knew I would regret the 1tb hard drive, but I have a 5tb external to use with it. I’ve been away for a week and for the first time I can review and work on 4K video with no problem (except finding workarounds on importing Sony files on premiere pro 🙄)

• Trophy
Reactions: Brownie

AlphaWorld

Well Known Member
Followers
Following
Apr 8, 2021
Name
Tony
A 5TB external is probably magnetic. You can add a 2TB external SSD for stuff you need more responsive - it's much faster. Anything larger that 2TB gets rather expensive at the moment.

Brownie

Well Known Member
Followers
Following
Oct 22, 2021
Name
Tim
Country
United States
City/State
SE Michigan
Thanks for all the suggestions. I ended up going for a MacBook Pro 16inch. The best specs available without waiting 2 weeks were 32gb and 1tb hard drive. Moving from windows is always going to be weird but wow what a computer. Happy with 32gb but I already knew I would regret the 1tb hard drive, but I have a 5tb external to use with it. I’ve been away for a week and for the first time I can review and work on 4K video with no problem (except finding workarounds on importing Sony files on premiere pro 🙄)
Winner winner!

Pro Membership Upgrade

• If you'd like to support this community you can easily do so by becoming a Pro Member and unlocking the following benefits:

✓ No Adverts in the Forums
    ✓ Pro Member Competitions
    ✓ Sell Items in the Marketplace
    ✓ Unlimited Gallery Uploads
    ✓ Higher Resolution Gallery Uploads
    ✓ Forum Profile Signature
    ✓ Custom Profile Cover Photo
    ✓ Advertise Your Photography Workshops

Pro Member Upgrade

Shopping Links

You can also support this site by purchasing gear through the following affiliate links:
Although I would recommend supporting your local camera store if you have one.

User Menu

alpha shooters text logo

© 2020 Alpha Shooters. All Rights Reserved.
Disclaimer: Alpha Shooters is an independently run website and is not affiliated with Sony.com
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.