Can anyone recommend a de noise tool

Welcome to the New Sony Alpha Shooters Community
Our community was only launched in August 2020 but is already thriving thanks to many amazing and helpful members. We'd love to welcome you on board too!
Join Now

spudhead

Well Known Member
Original poster
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Oct 28, 2020
Name
Gary
Country
United Kingdom
ok so I dont know if you guys use de noise tools if so please tell me about it and if it works , are they worth using, buying? I use capture one 21 version at the mo so I dont know if that makes a difference to recommendations

Reactions: rōken

Kevriano

Veteran Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Aug 18, 2020
Name
Kev Harper
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Ormesby St Margaret
ok so I dont know if you guys use de noise tools if so please tell me about it and if it works , are they worth using, buying? I use capture one 21 version at the mo so I dont know if that makes a difference to recommendations
Topaz, it's really the best there is IMO. I use it as a plug in on Photoshop, but it works as a standalone. In my opinion, it's an essential tool in the armoury, especially for high resolution cameras like the A7RIV. I'd even say it's revolutionary.

spudhead

Well Known Member
Original poster
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Oct 28, 2020
Name
Gary
Country
United Kingdom
Topaz, it's really the best there is IMO. I use it as a plug in on Photoshop, but it works as a standalone. In my opinion, it's an essential tool in the armoury, especially for high resolution cameras like the A7RIV. I'd even say it's revolutionary.
Hi how is the product sold as an annual product or a one time buy? are there up dates, is trial worth testing first? thanks alot

Kevriano

Veteran Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Aug 18, 2020
Name
Kev Harper
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Ormesby St Margaret
Hi how is the product sold as an annual product or a one time buy? are there up dates, is trial worth testing first? thanks alot
One time buy with free updates for a year, and then they try and get you to buy a new version if there is one, but I never have, because it works perfectly in it's current iteration. I would definitely take the free one month trial up, I did, and then bought it. Might as well get a free month first :)

spudhead

Well Known Member
Original poster
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Oct 28, 2020
Name
Gary
Country
United Kingdom
One time buy with free updates for a year, and then they try and get you to buy a new version if there is one, but I never have, because it works perfectly in it's current iteration. I would definitely take the free one month trial up, I did, and then bought it. Might as well get a free month first :)
thanks for info Gary

pointreyes

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Aug 7, 2020
Country
United States
City/State
Dallas/Oregon
To use Topaz with C1, I right-click on the image and select Edit with and Browse to the location of the executable file.

Jeff A

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Oct 31, 2020
Name
Jeff
Country
United States
City/State
Elk Grove, California
I bought the Topaz product, a one time purchase. Not subscription. Works great and runs inside of Lightroom if you are so equiped.

AlphaWorld

Well Known Member
Followers
Following
Apr 8, 2021
Name
Tony
The biggest competitor to Topaz is DxO’s DeepPrime algorithm, built into DXO PhotoLab and another tool whose name escapes me. PhotoLab is like LightRoom, but not a subscription. Has some other useful tools built in, too.

I am no expert in PhotoLab, but thought it worth mentioning that there is more than one option.

dewarp

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Dec 27, 2021
Name
Peter Dewar
I use Topaz Denoise Ver 5 or Ver 6 depending on the image. When Topaz came out with Ver 3 (I think it was) there was a step huge improvement. This meant that my old 4 Mpx images taken with a 2001 Sony point & shoot camera could now be used for serious work. I have since tried later trial versions of Topaz Denoise, but found them to be not worth the extra investment. However, I doubt that you can buy any old versions, so the latest Topaz Denoise is what you need.

regards - Peter

spudhead

Well Known Member
Original poster
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Oct 28, 2020
Name
Gary
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks all for replies, so whats the wotk flow do I de-noise first given that I use c1 at the mo? I would be grateful for a bit more help, ps already bought the Topaz denoise after 10 minutes trial with it, I do see it makes a difference

Kevriano

Veteran Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Aug 18, 2020
Name
Kev Harper
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Ormesby St Margaret
Thanks all for replies, so whats the wotk flow do I de-noise first given that I use c1 at the mo? I would be grateful for a bit more help, ps already bought the Topaz denoise after 10 minutes trial with it, I do see it makes a difference
Personal preference. Topaz recommend denoising first, I always do it after, it just makes more sense to me that way.

spudhead

Well Known Member
Original poster
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Oct 28, 2020
Name
Gary
Country
United Kingdom
Personal preference. Topaz recommend denoising first, I always do it after, it just makes more sense to me that way.
Yes I tried it first but it didnt make sense as you say as the programme seems to resize the image, I am just trying to get my head around it I am not great with tech

Kevriano

Veteran Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Aug 18, 2020
Name
Kev Harper
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Ormesby St Margaret
Yes I tried it first but it didnt make sense as you say as the programme seems to resize the image, I am just trying to get my head around it I am not great with tech
Interesting. It doesn't resize in Photoshop, that may be a setting.

dewarp

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Dec 27, 2021
Name
Peter Dewar
I first apply lens corrections in Lightroom (for distortion and chromatic aberration) to the raw file. I then export as a TIFF file (ProphotoRGB, 16-bit, original size) to edit in Photoshop. I first apply Denoise, and then follow up with Topaz Sharpen AI Ver 2. However, if I intend to go monochrome, I might not apply Denoise at all.

In my case, applying Denoise at the end of the edit often does not work. This is because at that stage I will most likely have distorted parts of the image. This stretches the noise pixels. It seems the Topaz Denoise (the versions that I use in any case) then no longer recognizes the noise as such, and the result is not too pleasant.

regards - Peter

Reactions: spudhead

spudhead

Well Known Member
Original poster
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Oct 28, 2020
Name
Gary
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for all who gave advise on this one as I say I bought topaz and seem to be getting on with it now in conjunction with c1 thanks all

Reactions: Kevriano

Pro Membership Upgrade

• If you'd like to support this community you can easily do so by becoming a Pro Member and unlocking the following benefits:

✓ No Adverts in the Forums
    ✓ Pro Member Competitions
    ✓ Sell Items in the Marketplace
    ✓ Unlimited Gallery Uploads
    ✓ Higher Resolution Gallery Uploads
    ✓ Forum Profile Signature
    ✓ Custom Profile Cover Photo
    ✓ Advertise Your Photography Workshops

Pro Member Upgrade

Shopping Links

You can also support this site by purchasing gear through the following affiliate links:
Although I would recommend supporting your local camera store if you have one.

User Menu

alpha shooters text logo

© 2020 Alpha Shooters. All Rights Reserved.
Disclaimer: Alpha Shooters is an independently run website and is not affiliated with Sony.com
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.