• ISO 640
Wings Of Gossamer  12 copy.jpg
  • ILCE-7M3
  • FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 GM OSS + 1.4X Teleconverter
  • 560.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 8000

Stunning! Which camera & lens combo were used? (Perhaps I'm overlooking the info in your profile, but I didn't see it anywhere :) )

Sony A7iii +100-400mm +1.4 ext

Thanks!! Very beautiful! I'm surprised it is with the 100-400!! Oh wait... Now I see it actually in the thread title. Stupid - sorry!

Wow, beautifully shot! Now where did I bury that extender....

These are wonderful! The detail in each is absolutely amazing, and I love the bug with the bubble! Wow.....

Holy smoke. I didn't even think such sharp, detailed close-ups were possible with a 100-400 and 1.4X extender. Makes me reconsider why did I buy a macro lens.

Holy smoke. I didn't even think such sharp, detailed close-ups were possible with a 100-400 and 1.4X extender. Makes me reconsider why did I buy a macro lens.
Such a versatile lens LBH have to save up your pennies :sneaky:

OMG the second and third pictures in particular are fantastic !! Did you use stacking tubes too? I also have to ask - were these insects alive? Thanks. Awesome and would love to have some more info. on how to do this if you are willing to share. Thanks. 🐛🐝

No stacking tubes all taken at 560mm
OMG the second and third pictures in particular are fantastic !! Did you use stacking tubes too? I also have to ask - were these insects alive? Thanks. Awesome and would love to have some more info. on how to do this if you are willing to share. Thanks. 🐛🐝
No stacking tubes used all taken at 560mm 100-400mm + 1.4 ext the bug with the bubble was on my house blind and if you look close my car is outside and dragonfly in a local pond all handheld and zoomed in very close hope that helps

No stacking tubes all taken at 560mm

No stacking tubes used all taken at 560mm 100-400mm + 1.4 ext the bug with the bubble was on my house blind and if you look close my car is outside and dragonfly in a local pond all handheld and zoomed in very close hope that helps

Thank you @WeeMalky - that gives me hope :) Did you use an on camera flash too ?

Thank you @WeeMalky - that gives me hope :) Did you use an on camera flash too ?
Nope. And butterfly was on the local golf course which has a lot of wildlife around it and is on the Ayrshire Coast

the 100-400 is tickling my interest a bit I must say - those images are terrific.....seems a tad sharper than the 200-600 and of course closer focussing distance, makes for a good in field pseudo macro

Superb images Malcolm and agree the 100-400mm is a super versatile lens

Fantastic! I'm going to give this combo a try with my A9

I love my 100-400mm and am very glad that I bought it! Definitely it is more versatile and useful for me than the 200-600mm since I can walk around with it, and don't need to always have a tripod at hand. In addition, I can on one walk-around find myself shooting a heron at some distance and then a flower close-up. A terrific lens, really!

Love these. Very nice job.

Fantastic pictures Malcolm.
I almost bought a Sony Fe 90mm macro lens for my Sony a7r4 but looking at your pictures, I seriously doing the check out and I'm reconsidering which lens to buy.

I currently have a Sony Fe 24-240mm and Sony fixed 50mm F1.8 prime (in retrospect I should have bought the 90mm macro instead of 50mm prime)

What are your suggestions 100-400 vs 90mm macro. Thrice the money for 100-400 but can do lot more with the telezoom I guess. The bokeh you have achieved is amazing...

Fantastic pictures Malcolm.
I almost bought a Sony Fe 90mm macro lens for my Sony a7r4 but looking at your pictures, I seriously doing the check out and I'm reconsidering which lens to buy.

I currently have a Sony Fe 24-240mm and Sony fixed 50mm F1.8 prime (in retrospect I should have bought the 90mm macro instead of 50mm prime)

What are your suggestions 100-400 vs 90mm macro. Thrice the money for 100-400 but can do lot more with the telezoom I guess. The bokeh you have achieved is amazing...
Hi IMHO I would go for the 100-400mm I know its a very large outlay plus the teleconverter but it's such a versatile lens. now this is just a personal opinion FE24-105mm and the 100-400mm two lenses and you are covered for quite a range and if you add the teleconverter 24mm to 560mm. And you can always buy used I have the old Minolta 100mm f2.8 Macro + adapter very limiting with the 100-400 you are plenty of distance away and you don't disturb anything the bug with the bubble was on my Venetian blind in the house and if you look very close my car is in the bubble?. If you look at some of my other posts I am sure you will see ones with the same setup and not bugs. Good luck with your decision🙏

How do you think the image quality would compare if you had used your A6500 with the same lens setup
Hi Richard don't think I have used the setup with the 6500 will have a look-see

That would be interesting, the teleconverter wouldn’t be needed due to the crop factor.

That would be interesting, the teleconverter wouldn’t be needed due to the crop factor.
A6503616.jpg
A6503612.jpg

No bugs in the garden a couple from the bird feeders this afternoon don't think just as sharp as the A7iii was a bit windy mind A6500+100-400=1.4 tel

Thanks very much,I think your right but they are still very good, with the crop factor that’s equivalent to 840 mm

I have both the 90mm macro and the 100-400mm and they are two very different lenses, although at times, yes, the 100-400mm does a dandy job as a macro/closeup type lens. I use my 90mm macro both outdoors for shooting flowers and such (no bugs) and indoors (for all kinds of smallish subjects on the tabletop, macro/closeups). The 100-400mm does a lot for me outdoors. I love both and they are my two top most-used and favorite lenses.

The 100-400 is indeed very versatile and I've used it for shooting wildlife, both at a distance and closer-up, I've shot leaves high up in a tree, I've shot small birds and larger birds.....etc., etc. The 90mm macro I use for those times when I know I'm going to want to get close up to my subject and I won't be shooting birds or animals at a distance. Both of these are quite well suited to what I like to shoot and to my shooting style.

Back