Close up with the FE100-400mm

Theres that 1.4x again! Great set.

I have both the 90mm macro and the 100-400mm and they are two very different lenses, although at times, yes, the 100-400mm does a dandy job as a macro/closeup type lens. I use my 90mm macro both outdoors for shooting flowers and such (no bugs) and indoors (for all kinds of smallish subjects on the tabletop, macro/closeups). The 100-400mm does a lot for me outdoors. I love both and they are my two top most-used and favorite lenses.

The 100-400 is indeed very versatile and I've used it for shooting wildlife, both at a distance and closer-up, I've shot leaves high up in a tree, I've shot small birds and larger birds.....etc., etc. The 90mm macro I use for those times when I know I'm going to want to get close up to my subject and I won't be shooting birds or animals at a distance. Both of these are quite well suited to what I like to shoot and to my shooting style.
Thanks Clix pic... That throws that extra bit of insight into my thought process. It helped in making me think what I like most.

I'm considering going with 90mm macro for now(hoping then I'll sell my 50mm f1.8 lens) and will buy 100-400 later.

Malcolm,
Did you shoot these closeups in Man or AF?
And in distance shots, have you ever compared hunt-to-sharp focus lengths of time using 100-400GM -- with and w/o the 1.4 conv?
I'm curious how much the 1.4 slows down AF. Maybe 1-sec, 2-sec? I'm considering either the 1.4 or 2x for moving targets. Your thoughts?

Lastly, excellent dragon shot!! But surprised at f11 the dragon's tail was slightly soft but appears on near same foc plane as eyes/body (but obviously not). I always thought f11 was deep enough. I even thought 8 was enough. But still very excellent shot!

Last edited:
Hi Mike very seldom use manual always AF . Never had any issues with the x1.4 and I have seldom used the x2 think you would need good light and that's something we don't get a lot of in Scotland and I shoot mostly handheld.

Back