Creative block

I don't know how people who do street photography do it. I feel so creepy taking shots of mostly unaware, but sometimes watching, and a few times glaring subjects. It's a lot more obvious in a small town, I recon it's easier to get away with in a city. Not my cup-o-tea, but admire those who do it.
I feel the same way. Heck, sometimes I feel sheepish to pull out the camera at a gathering of friends much less on the street with strangers. That said, some street photography I have seen is really quite good, and kudos to those photographers.

I don't know how people who do street photography do it. I feel so creepy taking shots of mostly unaware, but sometimes watching, and a few times glaring subjects. It's a lot more obvious in a small town, I recon it's easier to get away with in a city. Not my cup-o-tea, but admire those who do it.
In Mexico it was always, "Con Permiso?" And "Si" was the usual response. I never got a "No." And I took some at festivals and so on with no asking. The only help I can offer is to not hesitate. Act like you are a serious-ass photographer and click away. That works. Some folks do not mind, so folks like it and some scowl. That's just how people are.

I have gone to shows and so on here. I have some wonderful photos of some folks here in town waiting for the drag show to open a few years back and a photo of one fellow all decked out. No problem. Just give it a try. And act like you are doing them a favor. Just stand up there as bold as brass and "click." Act like you know what you are doing. They haven't caught up with me yet.

I had my camera in my lap and was looking into the viewscreen which was horizontal but this old gal was unhappy. I am not sure she knew I pressed the button.

Pretend they are your friends and you are taking snapshots for a family album. You will succeed more, much more, often than you fail.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I'm gonna give it a go! I've got a trip to Boston next weekend. I got a new 85 f1.8 for my birthday and I'm taking it with me. The thought of street photography puts me a little outside my comfort zone, I am by no means a creeper. I'm planning on mostly buildings but inevitably, people will be in them. I will share if I get anything decent, or mediocre lol.

I have thought a lot about Street Photography, and notably, night Street Photography. So I live about 10 miles south of the Capitol of the State of California, Sacramento. What a perfect combination, except for one thing. I pictured myself walking around the darkened streets of Sacramento, with my shiny new A7M4 and a G-Master lens or two, walking amongst various homeless people (We have various encampments all around the city) and wondering how many of these folks are trying to figure out how they are going to get the money for their next drug purchase. Here I come, a 78 year old dude carrying around $5000 worth of camera gear. Do you know where I'm going with this? Well, I know that we are not supposed to talk about Politics here and I agree with this policy. I won't take this any farther except to say that this situation is the only thing stopping me from doing this Genre of Photography, and I think this is a sad situation.

I'm gonna give it a go! I've got a trip to Boston next weekend. I got a new 85 f1.8 for my birthday and I'm taking it with me. The thought of street photography puts me a little outside my comfort zone, I am by no means a creeper. I'm planning on mostly buildings but inevitably, people will be in them. I will share if I get anything decent, or mediocre lol.
Pretend you are a tourist taking pictures of the scenery. People will be the scenery. ;o)

This is where a smaller camera like an APS-C or C7 and a flip screen can be handy. The few times I've tried it, I found that if you flip the screen up and compose from your hip or stomach height, no one has a clue what you're doing. Remember to most people a camera means holding it to your eye or looking at the back of a cellphone by holding it in front of their face. The concept of taking a photo from that position is so foreign it never even occurs to them that's what's happening. It also gives a very pleasant perspective on people, especially if you're taller. I used my thumb to trigger the shutter. P mode is perfect for this if there's enough light that the camera doesn't slow the shutter too much, or even full Auto.

Back