Critiques Welcome: Quartet of images from Catskills, NY (Overlook Mountain House, Overlook Mountain)

XopheCasa

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Christophe Casamassima
Country
United States
City/State
Baltimore, MD
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
Hotel Door 8 by 12.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • FE 35mm F1.4 GM
  • 35.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/40 sec
  • ISO 160
Hotel Indoor Wall 8 by 12.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • FE 35mm F1.4 GM
  • 35.0 mm
  • ƒ/4
  • 1/40 sec
  • ISO 160
Hotel Stairs 8 by 12.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • FE 35mm F1.4 GM
  • 35.0 mm
  • ƒ/1.4
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 160
Hotel Tree 8 by 12.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • FE 35mm F1.4 GM
  • 35.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/30 sec
  • ISO 160

I know I am not one who does a lot of these Black and White shots and I think many of us should be doing more but maybe like me many just forget about it but these shots as shots are what I don't mind.
Though if I had to say anything I would tell you to try to keep you line straight as the 2nd image the wall line is slightly out as are the steps in the next shot. It is an easy thing to look past but if you are going to try to sell shots this is something to keep in mind.

You have only posted a few times here, so glad you are participating. The Critique Lounge rules state to post no more than three images, but I think four is close enough that we can let it go. ;)
These work really well in black and white, a style of photography that (in my opinion) is much harder than color.They are well processed with a good tonal range (another thing that is hard to do). The last three are really strong, with my eye led to a point of focus in the frame. By comparison the first one is a little busy. It's still a good shot but I find the clutter distracting in that my eye doesn't know where to land. I think if you had gone in tighter and vertical to emphasize the doorway, it might be improved. I also agree with @Aussie that some lines need to be straightened, which can be done in the computer. Overall though nice job.

Back