Followers
Following
Name
Ralph Ernesti
Country
Australia
City/State
Mildura
I think it should be okay to post this here as we all are adults but I watched this happen before my own eyes.
I never knew that this would happen but happen it did.

People feed all the waterbirds and it becomes like a feeding frenzy.
And the little Coot was in the middle of it all when it was kicked and it tumbled to the ground and it just couldn't get up.
Along came the Purple Swamhen and just picked it up and headed for the water.
Yes I could have stopped it but its nature so what rights do I have.

To my surprise the parent birds did not a thing to stop it from going one.
I thought, surely they will get angry and attack. But no, they did nothing at all.

The Swamphen took the baby to the water and held it under for a while and then proceeded to eat the baby.
That's nature for you I think.
So if you don't want to see it don't look. And I have got more shot but what I am posting is enough.
Death 16-08-2021 (38).JPG
  • ILCE-7M3
  • 100-400mm F5-6.3 DG DN OS | Contemporary 020
  • 209.1 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/100 sec
  • ISO 250
Death 16-08-2021 (62).JPG
  • ILCE-7M3
  • 400.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/160 sec
  • ISO 250
Death 16-08-2021 (68).JPG
  • ILCE-7M3
  • 247.7 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/100 sec
  • ISO 250

Poor thing. This is, unfortunately, the ugly side of nature.

We tend to forget that nature can be very cruel, but that is the way things are, survival of the fittest. Recently saw a video on another group I belong to, of a Cheetah hunting down and killing a Springbok and you realise that beautiful Cheetah is a killer and has to be in order to survive.

The brutality of nature well captured.

Often a surprise to many people and to me the first time I witnessed it, Coots are one of the species well known for infanticide! Parental help in such a situation would not have been expected.

I suggest you use faster shutter speeds and allow higger ISOs with auto-ISO when shooting birds. 1/160s @ 400mm is asking for miracles

I suggest you use faster shutter speeds and allow higger ISOs with auto-ISO when shooting birds. 1/160s @ 400mm is asking for miracles
I have sharp shots at 1/60th @ 600mm , Handheld

Thanks to all on your comments.
But to Reciprocum I am not a big one on what you talk about.
I work on what I like not what others like as to me the shot looks okay.
So with play with the number what is it going to do for the shot.
This isn't a smart arse reply in anyway.
And I do think that sometime people throw out these number without knowing what the conditions are like at the time of a certain shot.
At times with a faster shutter speed my shot have turned out dark and then add in the ISO I then get the grainy look.
To me I honestly think its okay but I am willing to listen.

Thanks to all on your comments.
But to Reciprocum I am not a big one on what you talk about.
I work on what I like not what others like as to me the shot looks okay.
So with play with the number what is it going to do for the shot.
This isn't a smart arse reply in anyway.
And I do think that sometime people throw out these number without knowing what the conditions are like at the time of a certain shot.
At times with a faster shutter speed my shot have turned out dark and then add in the ISO I then get the grainy look.
To me I honestly think its okay but I am willing to listen.
I will trade a noisier image for less motion blur anyday, actually motion blurred images 95% of the time don’t survive culling. Your new 7M3 sensor high iso performance is much better that of your previous 7M2, even better that A1’s (I know I have both) so don’t be afraid to use auto-ISO on your 7M3

I will trade a noisier image for less motion blur anyday, actually motion blurred images 95% of the time don’t survive culling. Your new 7M3 sensor high iso performance is much better that of your previous 7M2, even better that A1’s (I know I have both) so don’t be afraid to use auto-ISO on your 7M3
That is fair enough as you may not like that as much but don't think we all need to follow what you like.
As we all have our own tastes in that and I am as much as an opposite to what you have said and would do the same but the other way.
I think you have to learn not everyone will like what you like, and you need to make a few allowances for this.
I do respect what you say but I disagree with it.

Back