Do Sony make the worst camera strap ever ?

spudhead

Legendary Member
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Gary
Country
United Kingdom
So the other day I reached for the a9 and a peak design strap and suddenly it hit me I have bought 6-7 sony cameras over the years and never used one Sony strap apart from trying once and that was for 10 minutes they are the worst in my opinion. So that said I use peak design and black rapid for the heavy prime, so if I am not alone what happens to all the sony straps I guess they stay in the box in the there plastic sleeve ,so what strap do you guys use ?

Most manufacturer straps are dreck. Stiff, itchy and picky, make your neck sweat. I don't use neck straps for anything more than a few minutes where it acts more like fall protection than a carrier. I've been using Joby cross body straps, but have started switching to Peak Design. Unfortunately they just had a price increase a few weeks ago and a slide light just cost me $60 US. YEESH.

I am really switching over to the entire Peak Design system. I have a capture clip and stabilizer, the strap end kit that lets you convert a regular strap to Peak Design quick release, and a couple other accoutrements. I would like to get a 'cuff' and a spare capture clip plate.

Never even opened mine. I don't like all the logos, it's for posers. I use a Black Rapid Sport

I'm on my second Peak Design Slide Lite. I gave my first one to a cousin who was getting into photography, it was such a nice design, I had to share.
I think I put more mileage on my first one (gray) but its my second one (sage green) which has a very minor fraying on the edges now. Still infinitely more comfortable than the Sony saw-my-neck strap LOL

Peak Design user here!! In the past I had used Op/Tech straps, which are also very good, but found them a hassle to put on the camera. When I was waiting for the A1, I did some research, read recommendations and decided to try the Peak system. Started with the Slider Lite or whatever it's called, and then bought the heavier-duty regular one for use when I've got a long, heavy lens attached to the camera. Then experimented with the Cuff wrist strap...... I love the versatility of so easily being able to switch to whatever kind of strap best suits what I'm about to do with whichever camera I have in hand. Right now my A7R IV has been doing mostly macro/closeup duty in the house and so the wrist strap works really well for this. The A1, which usually goes out with the 100-400mm attached, happily wears the regular Slide strap, which is perfect for my needs. When putting the camera and lens(es) into a bag for a day excursion, easy enough to detach the straps and tuck them into a convenient place in the bag and then once at the destination ready to shoot, the straps go back on very quickly. Peak Design really works well for me and my cameras.

As for using a strap provided by any camera manufacturer, I haven't done that for years. Nikon's straps aren't that great either. I've never even opened new straps when unpacking a new camera body. The one exception was with the A7R IV two years ago since that was a Sony, a new brand to me when it came to FF cameras and I was curious. Opened it, looked at it, draped it around my neck and shoulders, shook my head and put it back into the box. Instead I got out one of the Op/Tech brand straps that I was using at the time. Aside from the functionality issues, I also don't like that the manufacturer's straps scream very loudly what the brand is, what the camera is, etc., and I prefer to be a lot more subtle rather than announcing, "hey, look guys, I'm carrying an expensive camera here!"

Most manufacturer straps are dreck. Stiff, itchy and picky, make your neck sweat. I don't use neck straps for anything more than a few minutes where it acts more like fall protection than a carrier. I've been using Joby cross body straps, but have started switching to Peak Design. Unfortunately they just had a price increase a few weeks ago and a slide light just cost me $60 US. YEESH.

I am really switching over to the entire Peak Design system. I have a capture clip and stabilizer, the strap end kit that lets you convert a regular strap to Peak Design quick release, and a couple other accoutrements. I would like to get a 'cuff' and a spare capture clip plate.
I hear you! I want the capture clip, but have made do with the slide lite.
I tried the cuff, but it got in the way a bit. I think what I really wanted was the Clutch, but the APSC body doesn't have a big/deep enough grip to warrant that setup.

I use a black rapid strap, can’t remember which model it is, I’ve had and used it for years.

The thing I like about the Peak Design straps is that they do not need to be screwed into the tripod mount. I much prefer not doing that. I use my straps as cross-body straps and that works fine for me, although they're not quite the same as an actual sling design.

The cuff wrist strap works nicely for me in the house when I'm working with a macro or closeup shot, but I would not like using one outside. It can be awkward at times to put on or remove and at home that's fine, no big deal, but outdoors I want something around my neck or across my body which gives me more flexibility in using my hands and arms to also support/carry the camera.

The capture clip looks neat but I have the feeling that I probably wouldn't like it all that much, especially with a heavy lens on the camera, when I'd want to be hanging onto the camera anyway. For some of my smaller, lighter lenses on the camera it could be kind of cool, though.

Peak Design or QD-mount supported straps. I normally prefer using a Nucis leather wrist strap with a Peak Design connection.

I hear you! I want the capture clip, but have made do with the slide lite.
I tried the cuff, but it got in the way a bit. I think what I really wanted was the Clutch, but the APSC body doesn't have a big/deep enough grip to warrant that setup.
I plan to use them together at the track. When I'm shooting the strap will act as fall protection. I get as low as possible for most shots and extend the camera over the safety wall as much as I dare. If something were to happen and I dropped the camera over the wall I'd be screwed, and not just from a damaged camera standpoint.

Then, when waiting during downtime (which happens more than one would expect) I'll use the capture clip to take the weight off my neck and shoulder. I don't plant to use it while walking around, especially with a larger lens. Maybe the 17-28, but it seems something like the 24-105 would be max.

I am thinking about the Cuff for the same purpose. I could still protect my camera, my dignity, and my media pass with a Cuff to stop a drop.

I don't know the answer to your question but I have 3 Sony cameras and all 3 straps are in the boxes. I had the first one on my a6000 for a week or two then bought a Joby strap and the fact it connected to the tripod mount was annoying, but then I learned that you don't really want a strap attached when the camera is on a tripod anyway, but I still wasn't satisfied with the strap.
So I bought the PD Slide Lite, then I bought a Capture Clip, next was the PD Cuff strap, then when I went full frame with the a7iii I bought the Slide. I'm a Peak Design strap fan for sure and love how easy they are to remove and swap out for a cuff, or move to a different connection point depending on which lens I have on the camera.

So the other day I reached for the a9 and a peak design strap and suddenly it hit me I have bought 6-7 sony cameras over the years and never used one Sony strap apart from trying once and that was for 10 minutes they are the worst in my opinion. So that said I use peak design and black rapid for the heavy prime, so if I am not alone what happens to all the sony straps I guess they stay in the box in the there plastic sleeve ,so what strap do you guys use ?

I think Sony is in the running, but the last Canon strap I tried is a strong competitor for worst, too. Sharp edges carefully designed to cut into your neck.

And I think all of the Sony / Canon / Nikon straps tie for the award for using the worst possible way to attach the strap to the camera.

RE the tripod mount straps, I love them. You use a short lanyard to one of the strap lugs and looped back to the strap. If the strap were to come unscrewed or the bracket break, the lanyard would stop it from falling. What I like about them is the multiple loops and strength. There isn't a whole lot to go wrong. Easy up and down, adjustable for carry. The problem is they don't work well for carrying large lenses with the tripod screw threaded into the lens shoe, it's unbalanced. You'd have to be willing to let a heavy lens dangle from the mount, and that scares me.

On a Peak Design it's more like a long regular strap in that both ends attach to the camera. If one of the ends were to break the camera would fall. I don't like the fact that there's no safety, you must depend on build quality. I wish they had some kind of cross-strap safety you could attach near the camera that wouldn't affect carry. Something that clamps firmly to both ends of the strap and could be adjusted for length. One or both ends could even be the same quick release setup.

As several people have already said, all manufacturers straps are terrible (though I do use the Nikon strap on one of my two D850 bodies). For my other D850 and my Sony A74 I use an OpTech conventional neck strap with a comfortable suede section that covers the webbing. The webbing itself has a quick release connector near where it attaches to the camera, in case I want to take it off when using a tripod (though I never take it off). For my Sony, since the only lens I have is the large FE 200-600, I keep the strap attached to the lens lugs instead of the camera body (which would put too much strain on the lens mount).

I have never used one of the sling style cross body straps, but as the posts above show they are quite popular. My brother and cousin both use them; maybe I should try one? However, when I carry my Sony setup I rarely use the strap and just carry the camera by the lens tripod foot (a replacement Really Right Stuff foot that is slightly longer than the stock Sony foot).

This is interesting. I thought I was the only person who thought that these OEM camera straps are literally cheap crap. I have not used any for more than a week. I have been using Rapids Dual straps for the longest while, especially since you can use them single. They are about 14 years old now. I find though that with the huge cost of cameras the straps could be constructed much better. I feel like it is an unfair extra cost to a photographer after sacrificing so much to buy the camera in the first place.

I am a converted Peak design slide strap user with the Q Clips ....I find the straps very functional , not too broad, flexible
and work well with the clips allowing ready switching between cameras or lenses as required.

Back in my nikon days, initially i used nikon's straps for a very short time before i realised, especially when travelling, i was
setting myself up as a target for mugging/theft etc and then quickly graduated to Black rapid single and dual strap
configuratiions before hooking into peak design single narrow straps and Q clips, which i found very good for short lenses but
found them painful over a full shooting day with heavy long lenses, Ultimately I went with my current "slide" straps......

Peak Design user here!! In the past I had used Op/Tech straps, which are also very good, but found them a hassle to put on the camera. When I was waiting for the A1, I did some research, read recommendations and decided to try the Peak system. Started with the Slider Lite or whatever it's called, and then bought the heavier-duty regular one for use when I've got a long, heavy lens attached to the camera. Then experimented with the Cuff wrist strap...... I love the versatility of so easily being able to switch to whatever kind of strap best suits what I'm about to do with whichever camera I have in hand. Right now my A7R IV has been doing mostly macro/closeup duty in the house and so the wrist strap works really well for this. The A1, which usually goes out with the 100-400mm attached, happily wears the regular Slide strap, which is perfect for my needs. When putting the camera and lens(es) into a bag for a day excursion, easy enough to detach the straps and tuck them into a convenient place in the bag and then once at the destination ready to shoot, the straps go back on very quickly. Peak Design really works well for me and my cameras.

As for using a strap provided by any camera manufacturer, I haven't done that for years. Nikon's straps aren't that great either. I've never even opened new straps when unpacking a new camera body. The one exception was with the A7R IV two years ago since that was a Sony, a new brand to me when it came to FF cameras and I was curious. Opened it, looked at it, draped it around my neck and shoulders, shook my head and put it back into the box. Instead I got out one of the Op/Tech brand straps that I was using at the time. Aside from the functionality issues, I also don't like that the manufacturer's straps scream very loudly what the brand is, what the camera is, etc., and I prefer to be a lot more subtle rather than announcing, "hey, look guys, I'm carrying an expensive camera here!"
If I saw a petite Woman of a certain age, carrying an A1 with a 100-400 GM mounted on the front of it, I doubt I would notice the strap being used unless it was gold plated, and then I'm not even sure. ;) FWIW, I use the PD Wrist Cuff and the Slide Lite. The full size slide and the Capture Clip are on my list, coming soon to camera gear near me!

Back