Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Gary
Country
United Kingdom
Ok so I think most do not use the crappy Sony straps and anchors, so what do you use day to day and why and have you had any failures

I use Blackrapid sport when carrying heavy lens 300 g 2.8 200-600 with anchor in lens foot if possible and an anchor to the main strap just in case, it sits the camera to the side of me which I like. If shorter or lighter lenses ie travel etc I have peak design straps from the light weight to the largest version although I have not used the large version just mounted once and I care for it much , I think Joby are decent I have used them over the years

So post up all welcome (y)

Pd Slide. Easy to remove and switch between cameras and binoculars. I also don't like the ones that have a single connection point mostly because I couldn't find one that hung in a way that I found easy to use.

The link I will post with this is close to what I use but mine is home made by me.
I done it this way as after I got use to it I found it evens out the weight better that a over the shoulder strap.
My back is no good and anything to help it is worth giving a go.
I made 2 straps that go from the lens to those thing that are on dog leashes and hook it up this way.
It is really well balanced, but as said it took a few outing to get use to it this way.
So the weight is on the lens and not the camera as was once asked.

I had to go this way as I drink a lot of water but when I have been busy this tends to get overly heavy for me and I will be buying this one in the link.
As water is quite weighty and kills my back so this one will mean I need to carry a bottle of water.
Plus because of my other issues I can lose my balance and this way I have 2 hands to save myself.
It works for me and it now is the only way I can go on outings now.

I only use one, a Black Rapid Sport , attached to the foot of the 200 600. I don't need one for using smaller lenses of course. I have had my BR for at least 10 years, and it has never failed me, it's just perfect for my needs, as I like having the camera at my side at arms length. Quick to grab and start shooting, and I can carry it all day with no fatigue caused by it.

PD Side lite.

The QD Loop. Most of my cameras have a RRS or Kirk plate which have the QD socket built in.

Otherwise, I prefer a leather wrist strap with PD anchors.

No failures with either system I use.

Peak Design Slide Lite. Perfect sizing for the A6xxx or A7C body and easy to remove (unclip) when you want more freedom.

Does anyone use the pd base plates? I have some but dont use them

Yes. I use the base plate for the PD clip on one camera and the small base plate on the other, just for a strap connection point. I found that with the longer zooms like the 100-400 and 50-400, putting one end of the strap on the base plate and one on the left strap lug makes for a very nice close to the body carry, with the grip naturally positioned when you reach down, and the strap out of the way when you bring the camera up.

meh, sometimes.
When I'm out taking family photos or photos on my garden walks, I just carry the strap, or the clutch.
The only time I ever needed the base plate was for tripod shots or video, both of which are an increasing rarity for me.

I’ve not been overly happy with how I carry the camera and as I already have the pd clip it was just attached to my rucksack but not ideal for handling. Also my current wrist strap cuff has been great but migrated from the A7 and the Nex before that.. (non pd is now 8 years old so overdue a failure) so In a good way it’s all yours fault, hope it’s worth the small investment!

IMG_9578.jpeg
  • iPhone 12 Pro Max
  • iPhone 12 Pro Max back triple camera 5.1mm f/1.6
  • 5.1 mm
  • ƒ/1.6
  • 1/88 sec
  • ISO 125

I’ve not been overly happy with how I carry the camera and as I already have the pd clip it was just attached to my rucksack but not ideal for handling. Also my current wrist strap cuff has been great but migrated from the A7 and the Nex before that.. (non pd is now 8 years old so overdue a failure) so In a good way it’s all yours fault, hope it’s worth the small investment!

View attachment 49098
I didn't love the cuff, I felt like it got in my way a bit, but it might work better on a larger camera body so you might like it.
To me, the slide lite is my ideal camera strap; though if I was handling full frame gear including a big lens, I'd probably opt for the regular sized slide which includes some padding where the wider strap sits across your shoulders. ANYTHING is better than the straps these cameras come with LOL

I have relied on the cuff constantly, switching between that and the pd strapped to my rucksack, but found I mainly carried it in my hand cuffed to my wrist.. wrist fatigue over a longer day tends to be an issue. Reading this thread inspired me to try the slide and relocate the pd capture clip to my belt, I just hope it’s something I warm to… 😅

The thing about what we use threads is that what I use works well for my situation, but maybe not for yours. Example:

I use the Capture Clip on my belt when I have a second camera in use at the track. It hangs there with the 24-105 for a wide prime so when I walk nearer the starting line, all I have to do is let camera 1 hang on the strap, pluck camera 2 off the clip, take my shots, then return it to the clip. I would NOT want to go on a hike with it hanging there, nor do anything more than saunter a couple hundred feet. Also, if you position it wrong you can end up disconnecting the hood. I almost lost mine a couple times.

The slide light is more than enough for a full-sized body and a 100-400 or 50-400 lens. I have one strapped on for hours at a time oveer 14-hour days and it's no problem at all. In fact, I don't even want a wider strap at this point.

I use the cuff for walks sometimes looped around my wrist, but not tight. The camera hangs from my fingers which are curled around the grip just enough to keep it there, without having to hold on. If the camera drops or gets knocked loose the cuff takes over. I also use it at the track as opposed to the risk of dropping the camera over the wall and onto the track! :eek:

Seems to mirror what I do well, thanks for that, I intend using with the combination of both and for hiking, short to medium distance trails, with two dogs mostly joining me is my challenge. I’m ok when I can let them off the lead, securing safely and out of the way when on the lead is my “golden pot” and where I’m trying to be. I now have a good smaller bag to accompany my walks and put away when between catching moments. The bag was great recently on my travels but just lacked a way of keeping the camera convenient.

This looks like a good way to go. If not watch out in the for sales ads somewhere 🫣😂

I use Peak Design straps and the cuff, swapping out to fit the upcoming shooting situation. At home when shooting macro, closeups and still life, the cuff works very well. When going outdoors for walks and other excursions I use either the Slide Lite or the regular Slide, depending upon the lens. The 100-400mm definitely requires the regular Slide, whereas when I've got a lighter, smaller lens on the camera, the Slide Lite works just fine.

I found that with the longer zooms like the 100-400 and 50-400, putting one end of the strap on the base plate and one on the left strap lug makes for a very nice close to the body carry, with the grip naturally positioned when you reach down, and the strap out of the way when you bring the camera up.
The same way I use and found the same.

I have the Capture Clip on my backpack bag. I don't go out with the bag often but when I do I use it most of the time even with the long lenses.

Yes. I use the base plate for the PD clip on one camera and the small base plate on the other, just for a strap connection point. I found that with the longer zooms like the 100-400 and 50-400, putting one end of the strap on the base plate and one on the left strap lug makes for a very nice close to the body carry, with the grip naturally positioned when you reach down, and the strap out of the way when you bring the camera up.
I have one of those clips I think the latest version also unused

I use the “crappy” Sony straps and anchors. I use it because it serves my purpose well and (knock on wood) I haven’t had any failures.
My Sony cameras lie untouched in the box. Why? Primary reason is just prejudice (or, more politely, preference ;) ): I don't like wearing brand names.

More practical reason: I almost never use a strap anyway, so I keep one PD anchor on the camera for occasional use with the wrist strap, and another on my PD strap for when I do use it.

A friend on another forum said he never uses straps as he thinks they cause more camera accidents. I don't know, but I did have a big awakening one day when my strap, camera attached, was hanging off the table and I noticed my cat taking an interest in it. :eek:

A friend on another forum said he never uses straps as he thinks they cause more camera accidents. I don't know, but I did have a big awakening one day when my strap, camera attached, was hanging off the table and I noticed my cat taking an interest in it. :eek:
Would that really be called an accident, or is there another term for it? :unsure: :p

So… Pd pro pads not working out for me on my belt, so toying with the idea to mount it on a sternum strap across the rucksack. I found an odd strap lying around and rigged it how I’d like to mount it. Has any one else tried this or not bothered and just gone with a harness.

Thing is, I’m trying to rig the camera so I can carry it conveniently and safely while commuting and on my walks while wearing a laptop rucksack and or walking my dogs. Not keen on the harness to be honest.

If your using a sternum mounted method with a strap built in to the rucksack or have a recommended strap (lots of cheap looking stuff on Amazon) id be interested to know more.

Pictures just show what I’m trying to achieve, just mounting the pd clip to the rucksack harness leaves the camera too far to one side. Using it on the strap enable you to move it left to centre or to the right.

IMG_0209.jpeg
  • iPhone 12 Pro Max
  • iPhone 12 Pro Max front camera 2.71mm f/2.2
  • 2.7 mm
  • ƒ/2.2
  • 1/20 sec
  • ISO 640
IMG_0208.jpeg
  • iPhone 12 Pro Max
  • 2.7 mm
  • ƒ/2.2
  • 1/17 sec
  • ISO 640
IMG_0207.jpeg
  • iPhone 12 Pro Max
  • 2.7 mm
  • ƒ/2.2
  • 1/20 sec
  • ISO 640
IMG_0206.jpeg
  • iPhone 12 Pro Max
  • 2.7 mm
  • ƒ/2.2
  • 1/25 sec
  • ISO 400

So… Pd pro pads not working out for me on my belt, so toying with the idea to mount it on a sternum strap across the rucksack. I found an odd strap lying around and rigged it how I’d like to mount it. Has any one else tried this or not bothered and just gone with a harness.

Thing is, I’m trying to rig the camera so I can carry it conveniently and safely while commuting and on my walks while wearing a laptop rucksack and or walking my dogs. Not keen on the harness to be honest.

If your using a sternum mounted method with a strap built in to the rucksack or have a recommended strap (lots of cheap looking stuff on Amazon) id be interested to know more.

Pictures just show what I’m trying to achieve, just mounting the pd clip to the rucksack harness leaves the camera too far to one side. Using it on the strap enable you to move it left to centre or to the right.

View attachment 53674View attachment 53675View attachment 53676View attachment 53677
I dunno Jim, that looks a bit insecure to me, or at least it will bounce on your abdomen every step you take, might as well use a camera strap like the PD Slide at that point?

Yes, bouncing around on the strap, hence seeing if any one has found a better strap system, it fits well and firmly to the rucksack harness when mounted there but it’s too far to the shoulder and fiddly to clip on/off.

Just remembered I have the pd slide, I haven’t even tried using it yet. I have a feeling I will be more comfortable with it on the rucksack harness or mid mounted on a sternum strap… ughh 🤦‍♂️

@JimsZ what about this line of products?

As a total gear whore I use all kinds of stuff depending upon the shoot and the camera(s)

For the most part I use the PD anchors on nearly every body and change straps according to the len(es) for the shoot.
Sonys generally on Slide Lites unless it's a 200-600 outing.

Q2 gets its own paracord strap made to match the Reporter. :)

q2strap.jpeg
  • ILCE-1
  • FE 35mm F1.4 GM
  • 35.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/10 sec
  • ISO 500

The 200-600 is almost always used with the PD Slide because I think the mounting points on the lens are brilliant and imo much better to support the weight on the lens vs. straining the mount by using the camera mounts.

For events I shoot two bodies and use the Holdfast dual camera harness.

The X100S gets the Barton 1972 because it looks and feels good and I don't trust that strap enough to use it with a heavier camera. Lovely design - so so quality.

x100s.JPG
  • ILCE-1
  • FE 35mm F1.4 GM
  • 35.0 mm
  • ƒ/2.2
  • 1/13 sec
  • ISO 640

I admittedly have a problem. :D

Last edited:
I make my own wrist straps. Paracord 425 it's soft, flexible, and a little thinner than the typical 550. I make the tail long enough to be able to reach into a pocket without taking it off. I just measure it to wrap around my hand once.

Attachments

• PXL_20240111_012820930.RAW-01.COVER.jpg
    PXL_20240111_012820930.RAW-01.COVER.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 24
Yes, seen these, was gravitating towards buying the SKOUT, it looks like a decent a option and will most likely fit under a rucksack, I’ve looked in most of the London shops for one to try but not found one stocked yet. Probably have to mail order one.

Loving seeing all the other ideas and creativity 👍

This is my camera and bag set up. I needed to do something as over the shoulder was killing me as in pain wise after a long day out.
So I got the dog clips and sewed them on to the half moon things on the straps and once the straps are over your shoulder they are facing the front.
Using some out camera bag straps I cut off 2 pieces to the same length and got this.
It took a few outing's to get use to back wise but it did. So now I have my water and camera close by with the shoulder is better that is.
I have been out and I have tried it the other way again but this just never worked for me. And it was back to this.
Yer it might take a little longer to put on but the time is proven to be the big difference at the end of the outing.
Okay I hear you say the bouncing about. Well you have 2 hand and it is easy to support your arm on the camera or even hold it in place.
By the way if you are thinking about it being held by the camera , you are wrong and the newer lense come the suppports on the lens and not the camera.
So this is my way for my outings once I am fixed again and all my own idea.
Camera-bag  Set up.jpg
3.jpg
2.jpg

Last edited:
Back