Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Gary
Country
United Kingdom
ok so I have asked something similar before but here we go time and tech has moved on, what memory cards do you use, brand, speed, size. do you have any brands you do not trust
and why, anything out there that is good value? post up your thoughts all welcome :)

Sony tough. Neither of my cameras are fast enough to need the fastest one so I go the next fastest. A 128 in the first slot and a 64 in the second. Also have one of the fast Kingston cards. It really isn’t that much faster than the Sony, gets me a few extra frames in a burst on the A7 4, nothing extra on the A7R III.

After getting the A1 I got a prograde cfast express A card 80gb and a fast sd card in the other slot. Most of my sd cards are Lexar cards.

Last edited:
I use Lexar 320gb CF Express type A cards in my Sony A1’s. I bought 2 off AliExpress earlier this year and they have performed perfectly for the entire time. I’m not a techno geek and haven’t performed any in depth tests but I also have some Sony 160gb CF cards and can’t see any difference either in writing to cards in camera or transferring to Mac via card reader between the Lexar and Sony, in fact would say the Lexar download to Mac slightly quicker !!

the Lexar cards are extremely competitively priced and seem 100% legit but understand anyone’s scepticism because of AliExpress. All I can say is mine have been perfect

Ok thanks to all who replied so far lets add another question how many cards do you own and do you generally clear your cards when full, I am and weird on this one I only cull the rubbish from the cards and copy the good stuff to 2 external ssd drives and never empty cards when full, they are also a back up for me. the reason for this my friend had is gear taken including his laptop and all external drives. I just buy more although I do not buy super fast cards.

I own a dozen or so all together, but many are older smaller cards. 3-128, 4-64. Besides what's in the camera the others are carried for backup in case of failure. Cards get emptied after every shoot.

Sony Tough is my main card. a277/150 64gb. I only use it because I got a deal on it, and it is backed up by Lexar cards of similar speeds. The speed is good enough on the A7TRIV, but I would think a faster card would be needed on an A1 for example, to increase write speed. I like Lexar, I've only ever had one fail, which I manged to recover the images from with their free software, and which they then replaced as they are lifetime warranty. I will never use Sandisk. I have had failures and know many others who have too.

A1 = Sony Tough CF-A 160GB and ProGrade CF-A 160GB
Up until very recently there hasn't been any other options. Cannot tell if there is a speed difference between the two. I do notice that about half the time I cannot transfer an image from the camera to the phone when the image is on a ProGrade card, this really isn't an issue just a slight annoyance.
A7Riv = Sony Tough G SD 128GB, Sony G 128GB & 64GB, Lexar (whatever their fastest is) 128GB and SanDisk (something rather slow) 64GB
The faster ones because there really is a noticeable difference in speeds, the SanDisk because my new car for some reason won't record or read 64GB cards.

Another vote for Sony Tough cards in both slots of my A7IV.

I transfer long before cards are full to home NAS and anything remotely interesting/good gets backed up to another drive.

I have 2 x Lexar 320gb. 4 x Sony 160gb cards (CF Express obviously). 3 x 128gb Sony SD tough and 1 x 64gb Sony SD tough (the faster of the tough cards) which were originally bought for my A9 & R3.

Have an old Sandisk card which I keep my Camset on which is always in my card holder just in case !!

Never had a failure on any of those cards and tbh the SD cards are more that good enough unless shooting BIF or sports.

I always format in camera, not sure if that’s good bad or indifferent but always have done that maybe others have thoughts on that ?

Sony tough 2 x 164 Gb, 1 in slot 1 and 2 with 64 GB cards as emergency back up....format cards before the shoot and always empty my cards after a shoot - rubbish deleted, keepers transferred to external drives and duplicated.

In one A1 I have pergear 260 and sony 160. In my other A1 I have 2 prograde 160's. I have one sony 160 as a back up plus a couple of 256 v90 cards and some sony V90 cards as well.
I empty cards either at lunch and evening when I'm on a shoot or when I get home if I'm shooting local. Back up to 2 ssd drives.

I'm phasing out my Sandisk (uhs-i, v30) SD cards and purchased Lexar 2000x SDXC UHS-II (V90) cards during Amazon Prime day. I upgraded from UHS-I to II since I know that when I finally upgrade my camera body from the a6400, I will need the faster read/write speeds, and Lexar seems to be well regarded and decently priced.

I have a pile of SD V90 cards. Most have performed well. Trying to get more disciplined about backing them up to external drives and then formatting them but it’s not engrained yet.

Now for the A1 running a pair of Pergear 520gb TypeA cards. Fast and reliable so far and the prices per gb is getting much better.

Sony tough 2 x 164 Gb, 1 in slot 1 and 2 with 64 GB cards as emergency back up....format cards before the shoot and always empty my cards after a shoot - rubbish deleted, keepers transferred to external drives and duplicated.
(y)

Sony Tough 64gb. Fast and reliable enough for the only slot of my A7C.

Sony Tough, mostly and SanDisc, Lexar the fastest versions, a 128 in each slot of the camera, with four extras per camera, all get dumped two a few 2or 4 tb ssd portables as well as 12tb desk top drives

I have six Sony Tough G 128GB SD, one Sony Tough G 256GB SD, four Sony Tough G 160GB CFeA And two Lexar Gold 160GB CFeA - much cheaper, and seem OK, but they don’t feel as tough…

I upload them to an SSD attached to my desktop, copy them to my NAS, then copy them to two external magnetic drive. Then I format the card before using it again.

catch with culling them on the card is that you fragment the card because the files are different sizes. I also don’t know the longevity of data stored in a flash memory card. If you want backups, external magnetic hard drives (the little 2.5” drives) are probably the best, and the price per terabyte is hard to beat. They are also quite portable.

Two Sony Tough CFE Type A 80 GB cards in the A7R V
Two Sony Tough CFE Type A 160 GB cards in the A1
One Sony Tough SD card in the A7C

Trying to recall now -- I think I've got one extra Sony Tough CFE Type A 80 GB card and one extra CFE Type A 160 GB in the small pouch I carry when out shooting. Got lots of Sony Tough SD cards in various sizes / capacities since they have been accumulated over time and I still have three cameras which use them (A7C, RX10 IV, RX100 VII).

I have bought 6 of the Kingston canvas go plus cards 64gb 170 SD great value at around £ 12.00 each, not the fastest cards but having had them for around 12 months they seem to be a decent option

Back