Do You Own the Sony 85mm f/1.8? Need Help Here.....

View the Latest Sony Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

MyDogsOwner

Well Known Member
Followers
Following
Name
Lisa
Country
United States
City/State
St. Louis, Missouri
My Sony FE 85 1.8 arrived and I took it with my dog outside for some test shots. I was just wanting to see how sharp it is and how well the eye-detect works. Is this purple fringing or CA? I've never had this much CA before in a lens. Is this normal for this type of situation with the harsh lighting? I'm wondering if the lens needs to go back or if I should have stopped down more or something. This with the Auto Lens Profile turned on to Remove Chromatic Aberrations.

DSC07729.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM4
  • FE 85mm F1.8
  • 85.0 mm
  • ƒ/4.5
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 100

Last edited:
Here's a few more images. The first is a Birch Tree that has purplish hues as well. The other two images seem OK.

DSC07807-2.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM4
  • FE 85mm F1.8
  • 85.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 800

DSC07843.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM4
  • FE 85mm F1.8
  • 85.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 160

DSC07723.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM4
  • FE 85mm F1.8
  • 85.0 mm
  • ƒ/4.5
  • 1/1250 sec
  • ISO 100

And, this last one has awful fringing, zoomed in a little. Again, this is with the Auto Chromatic Aberrations turned on for the lens profile in LRC to correct them.

DSC07830.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM4
  • FE 85mm F1.8
  • 85.0 mm
  • ƒ/1.8
  • 1/2000 sec
  • ISO 100

Last edited:
Do you shoot RAW or just JPEG. If you shoot RAW, I have found the DXO software to be the best for eliminating lens aberrations...

Do you shoot RAW or just JPEG. If you shoot RAW, I have found the DXO software to be the best for eliminating lens aberrations...
I shoot RAW. I'm trying to determine is I got a Bad copy of this lens or if it's normal behavior for this lens. All the reviews say the CA is well-controlled for it. This is the worst lens I've seen with it.

In that case I would not hesitate to return it. I have to agree with you - I wouldn't be happy with that.

My copy is my favourite lens! Or at least it was until I got the Samyang 135/1.8.

I used to say "it is impossible to take a bad photo with this lens!" Well, ok, I don't find it quite so amazing on my a7iv as I did on my aps-c a6500, but it is still good. I mostly photograph people on badly lit stages. I don't do much of the branches-against-sky CA-magnet stuff. And I don't have any "posh" G/GM stuff to compare it with. But I don't think I have ever seen anything like the fringing on those branches.

Hope you may be happier with an exchange lens.

Oh, and... Nice pics!

View the Latest Sony Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Back