Following
Name
Krystle
A local areppa.

Attachments

• DSC05681.jpg
    DSC05681.jpg
    318.5 KB · Views: 77
I do, but mostly with my phone. I'm too shy/introverted to use my Alpha camera to shoot food. Haha

But this is how we all learn you might really be surprised.
I used to by shy pulling out my alpha to shoot photos. But this was the best way for me to learn my settings.

It is kind of fun, but trying at the same time. After all, the better it looks, the more tempting it is to eat!
Our daughter is a great baker and was staying with us during COVID times for a bit; she produced the following and several other items that didn't last long enough to be photographed. I think Gimlets qualify as food in some locales. :) More here: https://mjwhite.photography/recipes-from-our-visiting-chef-alicia-white/
_MJW5522.jpg

_MJW5465.jpg

I do, but mostly with my phone. I'm too shy/introverted to use my Alpha camera to shoot food. Haha
Well said , we all have been in that place where people look around if you are trying to shoot a photo. especially in a posh restaurant.
But I am trying to overcome that too. Few mins of awkwardness doesn't hurt anyone. They don't know you and also its in our mind that they are getting disturbed. They might be thinking, wow wish I could have that camera :p

I have been thinking about starting to shoot food but haven't really gotten serious about it yet. My wife loves to cook. So, I thought I should start photographing the process as she cooks in addition to the finished meal. I've been thinking about this much more lately as I have been working on doing more photography out of my makeshift home studio. I need to start working on more of what I can do at home.

For you who are food photographers, what are your tips for someone who is just getting started?

I like food. Shooting it, consuming it. (Disclaimer: this was shot with my Sony RX100VA)

Attachments

• E9953184-99A9-4737-B4BB-3E0E3D7A63F6.jpeg
    E9953184-99A9-4737-B4BB-3E0E3D7A63F6.jpeg
    202.6 KB · Views: 50
I don't know how I missed this thread, but I will definitely post here in the future!
I like to make cooking videos, but my food photography skills are kinda poor; I'm working on it. most of my photos are for YouTube thumbnails, and therefore don't need to be of high quality:
Jerk Marinade thumbnail.jpg

But sometimes, I try harder, with varying levels of success:
DSC04104.jpg

And I do like the occasional beverage/product photography:
DSC04037_4x5.jpg

I don't know how I missed this thread, but I will definitely post here in the future!
I like to make cooking videos, but my food photography skills are kinda poor; I'm working on it. most of my photos are for YouTube thumbnails, and therefore don't need to be of high quality:
View attachment 8316

But sometimes, I try harder, with varying levels of success:
View attachment 8317

And I do like the occasional beverage/product photography:
View attachment 8318
I love shooting food but really lack in the video part.

I love shooting food but really lack in the video part.
There are professional food photographers, videographers, and even professional food stylists out there! So its a very deep rabbit hole you can trip into 😅
I have only been making youtube videos about food (as a hobby) for a year, and I am learning so much every time I record and edit! This is probably why I haven't taken the time to focus on the still photography side of the business, because of the setup and props needed to make that one hero image that wows the viewer.

Funny side note: I used to film what I was making for dinner but then my wife said I would take too long and she was STARVING/miserable by the time I allowed her to take a plate LOL. I now start prepping and filming a few hours in advance if she is eating with me.

There are professional food photographers, videographers, and even professional food stylists out there! So its a very deep rabbit hole you can trip into 😅
I have only been making youtube videos about food (as a hobby) for a year, and I am learning so much every time I record and edit! This is probably why I haven't taken the time to focus on the still photography side of the business, because of the setup and props needed to make that one hero image that wows the viewer.

Funny side note: I used to film what I was making for dinner but then my wife said I would take too long and she was STARVING/miserable by the time I allowed her to take a plate LOL. I now start prepping and filming a few hours in advance if she is eating with me.
Well, I have a cookie blog complete with my recipes, and free for anyone plus photos. I am starting a new site hoping to finally get it off the ground maybe in July for the over sixty crowds. Complete with Mediterranean food recipes and photos that I will cook for Mike and I. So I retire in June and I have a feeling I will be just as busy. :eek:

Well, I have a cookie blog complete with my recipes, and free for anyone plus photos. I am starting a new site hoping to finally get it off the ground maybe in July for the over sixty crowds. Complete with Mediterranean food recipes and photos that I will cook for Mike and I. So I retire in June and I have a feeling I will be just as busy. :eek:
Barbara please post a link to your blog!
I'm not much of a baker, but I occasionally dabble in banana bread and cookies :)

There you go. There is a banana bread cookie :ROFLMAO:
What an extensive collection of recipes, and lovely photos of the cookies! I've bookmarked two to try so far: Blueberry w/ Walnuts & Cinnamon Oatmeal, and Banana w/ Chocolate & Caramel Chip.

Barbara please post a link to your blog!
I'm not much of a baker, but I occasionally dabble in banana bread and cookies :)

What an extensive collection of recipes, and lovely photos of the cookies! I've bookmarked two to try so far: Blueberry w/ Walnuts & Cinnamon Oatmeal, and Banana w/ Chocolate & Caramel Chip.
Two good ones, Thank you I really do like taking photos of my cookies. I just enrolled in an adult enrichment class here for portrait photography. I do not usually take photos of people and want to see what I am missing.

There you go. There is a banana bread cookie :ROFLMAO:
Wow! Just found this older thread and had a look at your blog posts. Cookies look absolutely scrumptious o_O

Back