Domke bags

Westcactus

Newcomer
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Has anyone tried Domke bags? I want one to keep an A6600 with a lens and a spare lens and battery. Any suggestions?

I don't know what Domke is offering now in the way of new bags, but that is because I am still happily using the ones I bought years ago, some as far back as my film days. They are wonderful, indestructible, and unobtrusive, they don't scream "CAMERA BAG! Expensive gear inside!" One thing I like about them is that they are not fussy, nor overstuffed with so much padding and inserts that there is hardly room for the camera body or lens(es). I do have other bags, including a couple very nice ThinkTank ones, but very often I find myself reaching for one of my good old faithful Domkes......

I ordered Domke F-6 Little Bit Smaller Ruggedwear Bag as I caught a good sale! Looks like it will do the trick!

I'm going to offer an opposing view on Domke bags, or at least their original, classic F2, which I used for some time before converting it to a field library bag. I found it to be completely useless in keeping out dirt and airborne dust when shooting in my home region of Arizona, and in Africa. The flaps on the side and front pockets left gaping holes that did not prevent smaller items from falling out. And I found the (admittedly sturdy) steel spring main flap closure hooks to be impossible to work with one hand. I switched to a Billingham, which I found far superior in all those respects.

Westcactus, I'll be interested to hear your impressions. Mine might have been different if I'd been doing mostly urban shooting.

My favourite new bag ( you can't have too many right?) is the Wotancraft Pilot. I have the large one, which can fit two A7 bodies with lenses attached and a spare lens in the main compartment. Mine is Kahki and does not have any branding. It is probably the best bag I have bought.

I carried a Domke F2 for 20 years and I just ordered their RipStop special addition one today. Got the last one on Amazon.

Back