Editing Software: Subscription or stand-alone purchase?

Do you subscribe annually for your editing software or pay one-time?

• I subscribe (eg. Adobe)

Votes: 12 57.1%
  • I purchase stand-alone versions annually

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • I purchase stand-alone versions infrequently and only when I need to

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • I use whatever is free

Votes: 2 9.5%

• Total voters

FowlersFreeTime

Legendary Member
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Chris
Country
United States
City/State
Pembroke Pines/FL
I was looking at an "upgrade offer" to upgrade my copy of ON1 2023 to version 2024 for a discounted fee... and it hit me that if I do this annually, I'm basically supporting the subscription mentality I used to criticize Adobe for 😅
So what say you folks? Do you support subscriptions, or prefer to hold on to software (for a one-time fee) for a few years to make it more cost effective?

Adobe all the way here. It's what I'm used to, and as 2 of us it it's cheap at 9.98 a month

I was looking at an "upgrade offer" to upgrade my copy of ON1 2023 to version 2024 for a discounted fee... and it hit me that if I do this annually, I'm basically supporting the subscription mentality I used to criticize Adobe for 😅
So what say you folks? Do you support subscriptions, or prefer to hold on to software (for a one-time fee) for a few years to make it more cost effective?
While I have said I subscribe to Adobe, I actually get the software license free through work. However, once this privledge is removed (for what ever reason), I will subscribe to Adobe, perhaps not the complete range of software as I currently have access to, but the essentials for photography.

Much as I dislike the subscription model, I have now conceded and subscribe to Adobe. As you quite rightly mentioned, constantly upgrading is simply a different way of subscribing.

Affinity Photo. They have had two 'paid' versions. Version 1 was introduced in 2015 and given many upgrades for free over the years. Seven years later in November of 2022, they introduced Version 2, which was discounted for those who had purchased V1. Until the release of V2 no one had paid for any upgrades.

Since the release of V2 less than a year ago, they have had three upgrades, all free of charge. In fact I just got an email today about the new update that I'll download when I get home.

I paid $40 for V1 and $65 or so for V2, so about $105 total.

In Affinity's case, there are no constant upgrade fees. So far they've been true to their word.

Capture one pro annual here Chris I have been using it for 6-7 years now, really happy with it, although updates are not easy especially if it is a full new version

As much as I do not like subs for a number of reasons there really is no choice with Adobe and Capture One, so I do subscribe to both. With Photo Mechanic i pay a fee and get free upgrade until there is a major upgrade, then they charge a few and we repeat the cycle.

I use adobe and been using it since it came out so I suppose its just what I'm used too.

This poll has been remarkably one-sided, how interesting!
I may purchase ON1 2024 anyway as the upgrade offer price of $80 is still cheaper than an annual subscription (even cheaper than adobe) and the software suits all my needs.

This poll has been remarkably one-sided, how interesting!
I may purchase ON1 2024 anyway as the upgrade offer price of $80 is still cheaper than an annual subscription (even cheaper than adobe) and the software suits all my needs.
You don't have a selection for "I purchase stand-alone versions that do not require spending money for an annual upgrade."

You don't have a selection for "I purchase stand-alone versions that do not require spending money for an annual upgrade."
Actually, that was my intent with the option "I purchase stand-alone versions infrequently and only when I need to".
When I said "stand-alone" I meant the software would function on its own, without needing any further expenses (annual or otherwise), not including discretionary add-ons.

Actually, that was my intent with the option "I purchase stand-alone versions infrequently and only when I need to".
When I said "stand-alone" I meant the software would function on its own, without needing any further expenses (annual or otherwise), not including discretionary add-ons.
Fair enough. I misinterpreted the 'only when I need to' as more of a requirement due to newer systems than because of a new release.

I recently purchased an upgrade to On1 2024. Previously ran 2022, & 2019. I started off with Lightroom standalone which Adobe said they would support in in perpetuity. Six months later, that changed to if you want our product you have to subscribe. The package they initially offered, included products I didn't want, and cost more per year than my stand alone version had. So I decided to find an alternative. My only motivator for the latest upgrade was to gain support for lossless compressed raw files, that the new camera produces. I took another look at the subscription offers of both ON1, and Adobe but decided that I was better off just upgrading if, or when it was of tangible benefit to me.

I started with the standalone version of CaptureOne but moved to subscription because over the last couple of years the number of new and improved features have been extensive.

"I use whatever is free"

True but not true. Bottom line is that I choose from whatever is available for Linux. If they would make stuff like Capture One available, and I could afford it, I'd seriously consider buying it. But not on subscription.

Up to a month ago, I had a stand alone version of Capture One. But when the offered me 40%, I changed to subscription. After a year, I will evaluate the whole thing again.

Back