Following
Name
Martin Godwyn
Country
Canada
City/State
Vancouver
Hi folks,

Can anyone recommend extension tubes? I'm using the a7r4 and Sigma 105mm DG DN macro and was looking to get to 2x magnification or possibly more.
Also, how do extension tubes stack up (pun intended) against a higher quality close-up lens (say, B+W)?

Cheers.

According to Sigma, your lens can be used with their x2 teleconverter to give x2 magnification. This will allow a full range of magnifications from zero to x2. This may be the best option, apart from the price.

I have been using these tubes with my 90mm macro, and have been happy with them, getting about x2 maximum magnification.

I suspect that a close-up lens would not give the best image quality (it would have to be 10 diopters).

Hi folks,

Can anyone recommend extension tubes? I'm using the a7r4 and Sigma 105mm DG DN macro and was looking to get to 2x magnification or possibly more.
Also, how do extension tubes stack up (pun intended) against a higher quality close-up lens (say, B+W)?

Cheers.
Tubes are like filters. More expensive ones are usually better. However, I've used the cheapest ones on Amazon before with good luck.

If you want high quality macro for a reasonable amount of $, Check into the Raynox 250. These are very good.

What Brownie said. Tubes can be good, but the depth of field is microscopic and they are really hard to use. Raynox are superb

According to Sigma, your lens can be used with their x2 teleconverter to give x2 magnification. This will allow a full range of magnifications from zero to x2. This may be the best option, apart from the price.

I have been using these tubes with my 90mm macro, and have been happy with them, getting about x2 maximum magnification.

I suspect that a close-up lens would not give the best image quality (it would have to be 10 diopters).
Ah - thanks for that - I did not know about the Sigma 2x... but, ouch! Pricey! ... Hmmm - not seeing that for the Sony mount, though.

Last edited:
I use a +3 62mm Marumi achromat macro lens on my Sigma 105 with very good results. (adapted to Sony A1)
DLL 2 r.jpg
  • ILCE-6400
  • 105mm F2.8
  • 105.0 mm
  • ƒ/18
  • 1/60 sec
  • ISO 320

Last edited:
Back