Name
Tim
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Shropshire
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
I asked Sigma nicely if they would lend me their new 500mm F5.6 DG DN lens to try out. They have loaned me lenses before but it has been a few years since I've asked for a loaner. Luckily they had just received one back and sent it straight out to me for a week, they needed it back in time for the Photography Show.

I'd read the specs of this lens and knew that it was around 880g lighter than my 200-600 F5.6-6.3 and significantly smaller, but it wasn't until I took it out of the box that I really appreciated the weight savings and much smaller size. It almost felt like holding a feather compared to my 200-600.

Below you will find a short summary of my first impressions, a slightly more detailed comparison can be found over on the blog:

Size & Handling

The Sigma 500 weighs just 1,365g (with foot but without hood and caps). The lens hood of the Sigma 500 weighs 150g which takes the total weight up to 1,515g. The Sony 200-600 weighs 2,245g (with foot but without hood and caps). The lens hood of the Sony 200-600 weighs 165g which takes the total weight up to 2,410g.

So the Sigma 500 is around 895g lighter than the Sony 200-600 with their hoods attached which is pretty significant.

The size difference is significant as well with the Sigma 500 measuring 107.6mm in diameter x 236.6mm in length vs 111.5mm in diameter x 318 mm in length for the 200-600.

sigma-500-f-5-6-dg-gn-vs-sony-200-600-2048px.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM5
  • FE 24mm F1.4 GM
  • 24.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/200 sec
  • ISO 1000

sigma-500-f-5-6-dg-gn-vs-sony-200-600-lens-hoods-on-2048px.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM5
  • FE 24mm F1.4 GM
  • 24.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/200 sec
  • ISO 640

Like the Sony the Sigma also features 3 customizable buttons, a focus limiter switch, AF/MF switch, OS switch with modes 1/2 and off. The Sigma also features a de-clickable and lockable aperture ring which you don't find on the 200-600, this will probably be appreciated more by videographers.

The Sigma also has a Custom switch with the options (OFF | C1 | C2). Unfortunately unlike L-mount shooters who can use the Sigma USB Dock to customize these functions, Sony shooters are stuck with the default settings. C1 is called "Dynamic View" and offers a recognizable OS effect in the viewfinder to help with composition. C2 is called “Moderate View” and focuses more on stabilizing the image at capture and less on stabilizing the viewfinder.

Image Quality

As you would expect from a Sigma prime lens the image quality is very good. Unfortunately I wasn't able to do a direct image comparison with my 200-600 as it picked a great time to die on me. But to my eyes the images I shot looked as good as the images shot with my 200-600.

DSC05426-3000x2000.jpg
  • ILCE-1
  • 500mm F5.6 DG DN OS | Sports 024
  • 500.0 mm
  • ƒ/5.6
  • 1/1250 sec
  • ISO 500

DSC05567-3000x2000.jpg
  • ILCE-1
  • 500.0 mm
  • ƒ/5.6
  • 1/2000 sec
  • ISO 1250

In Dustin Abbott's review he compares the sharpness of both lenses and concludes:

"The Sigma prime shows a clear advantage in the amount of detail captured in the center of the frame. Textures have more micro-contrast and “pop” more. The Sony corners are softer than the Sigma zoom, and so the advantage for the 500mm DN is even more pronounced here. It delivers a much stronger performance in detail and contrast."

Other reviews also suggest that the Sigma has a slight advantage when it comes to sharpness but it's not a night and day difference and for most real world subjects you will probably struggle to see the difference.

Autofocus Performance

Focus was pretty snappy on my A1 and it tracked really well, only a handful of shots were slightly soft and those could easily be put down to user error! I only tried it briefly on my A7RV and it seemed to struggle a little more at times to lock-on to the kites, for perched birds this wasn't an issue and Eye AF also worked very well. It did seem to struggle a little more with tracking against busy backgrounds on the A7RV, but when locked on only a handful of images were slightly soft.

DSC07483-3000x2000.jpg
  • ILCE-1
  • 500.0 mm
  • ƒ/5.6
  • 1/2000 sec
  • ISO 320

Compared to my 200-600 on my A1 I felt it performed very closely. Of course kites are pretty big birds and they won't challenge a lenses focus motors as much as shooting something smaller and faster such as swifts, so it's hard to say how well the Sigma 500 will perform with faster more challenging subjects. The 200-600 definitely performs better on my A7RV than the Sigma 500, but we might see improvements here with future firmware updates.

Sample Images

I've already posted quite a few sample images here. Registered members can also find the raw files to download here.

Limitations

The main limitations of the Sigma 500 are no support for teleconverters (unless you are an L-mount shooter), and the maximum frame rate is limited to 15 fps. It would probably shoot a lot faster if Sony would allow it, but they don't. For those who don't shoot often with the teleconverters and have no need for shooting faster than 15 fps then these limitations won't matter in the slightest.

To Buy One or Not

The Sigma 500 F5.6 costs $2,999.00 in the US or £2,779.00 here in the UK. The Sony 200-600 F5.6-6.3 costs $1,998.00 in the US or £1,559.00 in the UK. So you can save a chunk of cash if you are happy with what the Sony offers.

If you own the 200-600 then you've already got an amazing lens. If you are happy with the size and weight of this lens then there's no reason to purchase the Sigma 500. Plus you get a little more focal length.

If you don't already own the 200-600 and would like to purchase a long telephoto lens then you have a little more to think about. Do you need a zoom lens? Would you make use of the teleconverters? Shoot over 15 fps? If yes, then stick with the 200-600. If not, it's definitely worth considering the Sigma 500 if it's in budget.

Before I tried the Sigma 500 I had no plans to purchase one, but after shooting with it for a week I was sold and decided to order one. For me personally I appreciated the weight and size savings the most, especially as I have a slightly dodgy shoulder. I rarely use the teleconverters so I can live without them and I'm not keen on shooting over 15 fps either as it takes far too long to sort through the images afterwards. I will hopefully get my 200-600 repaired but I can't see it getting a great deal of use after the Sigma arrives.

I will write a little more on the blog when I get time. I should hopefully receive the Sigma next week if Harrison Cameras delivers so I can continue to add to my first impressions.

If you do decide to purchase this lens please drop your own impressions below so that we can keep them all together.

Last edited:
After a few hours shooting the need for my 200-600mm is diminishing the 100mm extra f/l is pratically mute as this gets negated by slightly faster aperture and a sharper image ,maybe my 200-600 is feeling its age? and has seen a lot of wear but it is just the weight when photographing little birds in the garden is such a easier task fatigue is a non issue unless you have had a really bad day ,so most of my results align with yours tim ,although do not get this confused with any of the big white primes it will still struggle in lower light ,i hope to test on my a7r5 also but some are saying the af takes a hit more so than a sony brand lens.

• Admin
After a few hours shooting the need for my 200-600mm is diminishing the 100mm extra f/l is pratically mute as this gets negated by slightly faster aperture and a sharper image ,maybe my 200-600 is feeling its age? and has seen a lot of wear but it is just the weight when photographing little birds in the garden is such a easier task fatigue is a non issue unless you have had a really bad day ,so most of my results align with yours tim ,although do not get this confused with any of the big white primes it will still struggle in lower light ,i hope to test on my a7r5 also but some are saying the af takes a hit more so than a sony brand lens.
Glad to hear that you are enjoying it so far Paul. It's definitely a much more comfortable lens to walk about with and shoot BIF for longer periods. Mine arrived yesterday and I'm sure it will be spending quite a bit of time mounted to my A1 this summer.

Glad to hear that you are enjoying it so far Paul. It's definitely a much more comfortable lens to walk about with and shoot BIF for longer periods. Mine arrived yesterday and I'm sure it will be spending quite a bit of time mounted to my A1 this summer.
Yes mine will be going mach loop in may for sure ,although i will need a zoom also but that will probably be my 70-200mm with t/c although undecided and my a7r5 has airplane ai so not sure if this will be a priorty for me ,although i never used it on any other camera ,have you experience with airplane tracking .

• Admin
Yes mine will be going mach loop in may for sure ,although i will need a zoom also but that will probably be my 70-200mm with t/c although undecided and my a7r5 has airplane ai so not sure if this will be a priorty for me ,although i never used it on any other camera ,have you experience with airplane tracking .
I've not tried the airplane subject tracking but it's hard to miss them going through the loop. I was using my A7RIII the first time I went. I can't remember for sure but I was probably just using zone without tracking.

I've not tried the airplane subject tracking but it's hard to miss them going through the loop. I was using my A7RIII the first time I went. I can't remember for sure but I was probably just using zone without tracking.
yeah its one of those advancements where you are not sure it has any relevance on proceedings or any advantage ,more a case of one step forward two steps back ,and i do not like the new a7r5 autofocus option sensitivity settings either ,the A1 is far easier to get to grips with ,although the new a9iii has focus improvements beyond Ai like setting up focus points to suit.

Got my 500mm Sigma last week and yesterday was the first time the weather and free time have coincided! Took it out with my A1 to a local NT park (Calke Abbey) and spent some time sat in their bird hide and also walking around the park. First impressions are - much lighter than my 200-600 and I found the image quality a little better. Didn't really miss the zoom as I used the APS-C mode if I needed a little more reach, although I suspect that cropping would work just as well! Now thinking of selling my zoom as I also have the new 70-200 F4 and when using the 2x TC can get to 400mm if I need it.

Will post some images later when I have sorted through them (highlight of the day was a water rail - a bird I have only seen twice before!)

I have used mine a few times this week and althought it does not offer much over the 200-600mm in out and out performance as the zoom is really quite good ,the benefits of carrying a bag of sugar over carrying 2 bags of sugar are much sweeter ,thing is i am not sure wether this prime goodness rendering is in my head half the time ,but it really does have some benefits ,like better image stabilization ,mid frame and edge sharpness ,controls lighting better when shooting into sun really very good for backlight,and the build quality is a touch better but early days.I am enjoying the journey so far ,i will not part with the zoom just yet.

• Admin
Got my 500mm Sigma last week and yesterday was the first time the weather and free time have coincided! Took it out with my A1 to a local NT park (Calke Abbey) and spent some time sat in their bird hide and also walking around the park. First impressions are - much lighter than my 200-600 and I found the image quality a little better. Didn't really miss the zoom as I used the APS-C mode if I needed a little more reach, although I suspect that cropping would work just as well! Now thinking of selling my zoom as I also have the new 70-200 F4 and when using the 2x TC can get to 400mm if I need it.

Will post some images later when I have sorted through them (highlight of the day was a water rail - a bird I have only seen twice before!)
Congrats on the new lens George. Looking forward to seeing your shots!

Thanks for your great review of this lens. Good job!

Sorry for the wait - here are three shots as promised.
Nuthatch.jpg
  • ILCE-1
  • 500.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/320 sec
  • ISO 800
Water_Rail.jpg
  • ILCE-1
  • 500.0 mm
  • ƒ/5.6