Name
Tim
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Shropshire
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
Has anybody had any connection issues with their 200-600? I attached mine to my A1 last week and the aperture just displayed as -- and the lens also failed to focus. The camera was also incredibly slow to turn on and off. I also tried it on my A7RV and had exactly the same problem. My A1 is also working fine with my other lenses so I can't see it being a camera issue. I've cleaned the contacts but the problem remains. I read over on the DPReview forums that someone had a similar issue and it was diagnosed as: "ZMR Assembly-Faulty F-stop". I've never needed to send a lens in for repair before so it will be interesting to see how that works and how much it costs!

yes now and then mine is a very early copy and I have never updated it, but it has always worked fine after turned off and on again

I'm sure you have already, but I'd take a pencil eraser or isopropyl alcohol to the contacts on the lens, and check that it turns all the way to locking into place.

I haven't had any trouble with the 200-600, but I don't use it a huge amount (it's on the edge of "too long / too heavy" for me).

• Admin
I'm sure you have already, but I'd take a pencil eraser or isopropyl alcohol to the contacts on the lens, and check that it turns all the way to locking into place.

I haven't had any trouble with the 200-600, but I don't use it a huge amount (it's on the edge of "too long / too heavy" for me).
I've not tried an eraser yet just a lens wipe, will see if I can find one! It's locking into place just fine.

I've not tried an eraser yet just a lens wipe, will see if I can find one! It's locking into place just fine.
Isopropyl alcohol and cotton swabs. Lens wipes won't cut. I'd to the erase and follow with the alcohol to clean up any residue.

• Admin
Isopropyl alcohol and cotton swabs. Lens wipes won't cut. I'd to the erase and follow with the alcohol to clean up any residue.
I've done that now but it's still not working 😭

Sorry to hear that. Hope it isn't too expensive to fix.
Me too! I need to contact a few places and get a rough idea of what I’m looking at. Still, hopefully the Sigma 500 should arrive next week so I’m not in a big rush to get it sorted as I don’t see it getting too much use once the Sigma arrives.

has this got the same problem as yours?

Thanks for sharing these Andrew. Yep, basically the same or very similar problem to mine. Mine also has quite a bit of play and always has done. Just about to contact a Sony service centre to see what they say.

When submitting an online repair request with Fixation they gave me an average cost of £82.36 - £352.14 for repairs to the 200-600. With the lower end being for minor issues and cleaning and the higher end when components need replacing.

They arranged the collection and it's being collected next week. Now I just need to find the lens cap which I recently lost and the original box which I fear I might have binned after a clean out when moving house! 😭

When submitting an online repair request with Fixation they gave me an average cost of £82.36 - £352.14 for repairs to the 200-600. With the lower end being for minor issues and cleaning and the higher end when components need replacing.

They arranged the collection and it's being collected next week. Now I just need to find the lens cap which I recently lost and the original box which I fear I might have binned after a clean out when moving house! 😭
Do you still have the soft case? That’s more important than the box - can always pack in soft case then bubble wrap and a suitable box.

Has anybody had any connection issues with their 200-600? I attached mine to my A1 last week and the aperture just displayed as -- and the lens also failed to focus. The camera was also incredibly slow to turn on and off. I also tried it on my A7RV and had exactly the same problem. My A1 is also working fine with my other lenses so I can't see it being a camera issue. I've cleaned the contacts but the problem remains. I read over on the DPReview forums that someone had a similar issue and it was diagnosed as: "ZMR Assembly-Faulty F-stop". I've never needed to send a lens in for repair before so it will be interesting to see how that works and how much it costs!
Yes this happens to me. For an instant fix semi-remove the lens and attach, you don't need to fully remove the lens. For more of a fix make sure all the screws are tight on the lens connection point, this tends to be the issue most often. This also will occur more often when I forget to switch the strap from the camera to the lens.

Yes this happens to me. For an instant fix semi-remove the lens and attach, you don't need to fully remove the lens. For more of a fix make sure all the screws are tight on the lens connection point, this tends to be the issue most often. This also will occur more often when I forget to switch the strap from the camera to the lens.
Tried this but no joy. The screws are tight but they were coming a bit loose a while back so it’s definitely worth checking them now and again.

Last edited:
Do you still have the soft case? That’s more important than the box - can always pack in soft case then bubble wrap and a suitable box.
I should do somewhere, I don't normally bin the cases. It will definitely be well packed. I don't want to pay for replacement glass as well.

I should do somewhere, I don't normally bin the cases. It will definitely be well packed. I don't want to pay for replacement glass as well.
Hope it goes well ,i have my sigma 500 5.6 super little lens but then so is the sony 200-600mm sony repair for me is just 8 miles away in horley surrey so i am good if this ever occurs ,very odd why this happened ,and obviously lens is not talking to camera it will be a electronic fault ,unless your mount is loose have you tried nipping up the screws on the lens mount over time these can come loose ,just need a jewllers screw driver

had the same yesterday ... in my case because of wearing the heavy lense often over the body of my A1 ... it was needed to tighten the screews of the mounting plate on the cam side

had the same yesterday ... in my case because of wearing the heavy lense often over the body of my A1 ... it was needed to tighten the screews of the mounting plate on the cam side

Glad it was an easy fix for you! Unfortunately my screws are tight and I’ve tried it on 4 different cameras, all have the same issue. This might help someone though so thanks for sharing!

So I've had the repair cost back from Fixation and it's definitely a little more than I was expecting! 😭

Unit costQtyEst. cost
Labour£324.001£324.00
MOUNT ASSY£61.841£61.84
MAIN PC BOARD ASSY£60.921£60.92
5 GROUP ASSY£196.571£196.57
Misc Part£12.001£12.00
Estimate total: £655.33

So I've had the repair cost back from Fixation and it's definitely a little more than I was expecting! 😭

Unit costQtyEst. cost
Labour£324.001£324.00
MOUNT ASSY£61.841£61.84
MAIN PC BOARD ASSY£60.921£60.92
5 GROUP ASSY£196.571£196.57
Misc Part£12.001£12.00
Estimate total: £655.33
once it's been into their hands they can tell you anthing they want
:mad:

once it's been into their hands they can tell you anthing they want
:mad:
Yep. I haven't got a clue what's wrong with it. Just have to take their word unfortunately. I could get it back and send it somewhere else for a comparison but that could end up costing me more.

Yep. I haven't got a clue what's wrong with it. Just have to take their word unfortunately. I could get it back and send it somewhere else for a comparison but that could end up costing me more.
(Insert repair type here) center suck because of this. I will say this it is good that they at least provide you with a detailed summary of what they are going to do. I've had experience with both Sony approved repair shops on the east cost of the US and one of them only provides "return lens to factory condition".

View the Latest Sony Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Back