Canada
City/State
British Columbia
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
I'm fascinated by fences, today, with a touch of frost
DSC04197.jpg
  • ILCE-1
  • Sony FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS II (SEL70200GM2)
  • 70.0 mm
  • ƒ/13
  • 1/40 sec
  • ISO 640
DSC04198.jpg
  • ILCE-1
  • 70.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/40 sec
  • ISO 400
DSC04196.jpg
  • ILCE-1
  • 70.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/40 sec
  • ISO 800

This first one here, if you could do something with those branches on the immediate left of it I think it would be an absolutely lovely image.

Your editing is really taking shape too mate. Can see the effort you are putting in is paying off. 🌞

This first one here, if you could do something with those branches on the immediate left of it I think it would be an absolutely lovely image.

Your editing is really taking shape too mate. Can see the effort you are putting in is paying off. 🌞
Thank you, Clint. I appreciate the encouragement.

I wondered about those branches. I considered cropping them out, but I wanted the fence in the foreground. I could go at those branches with a healing brush with Capture One, but I haven't had much luck with this kind of edit with that software. I don't have any experience with Photoshop. Is that the next step?

Last edited:
Fences make great leading lines, and your photos use the fences to lead the eye into the scene. Nice.

You know what would have been cool? and feel free to ignore my thinking out loud here, but imagine if you had the fence leading to a subject. In the second image, it would be nice if a person was around the left rule of thirds vertical, maybe 6 fence posts to the right from the little roof/noticeboard(?). Do you walk with a tripod, or was this a casual snap? because you could have set the timer and put yourself in the scene (if that's to your liking). Of course without anyone else around, no worries!

Mate, I'm not an expert in that department, I might remove a background person or a weird rock or something with the clone tool. But I have this ideology that if I have to manipulate it too much then it's not my image, as I've said I still just use the standard LR not even LR Classic, I can't stand looking at the whole Windows 3.1 style layout it, I think it's pretty crappy that such a prestigious program is like that.

I can't see the harm in removing the branches if you can work it out, but I would have just cut the tree down for that image... 😄

What other lenses do you have ST?
Hi, Clint.
Thanks for asking.
FE PZ 16–35 mm F4 G
FE 24–105mm F4 G OSS
FE 70–200 mm F2.8 GM OSS II

FE 24–105mm F4 G OSS
This was my first lens (ignoring the 28-70 kit lens still in a drawer). I got it with the A7 IV when all this photography stuff started six and a half months ago. I took it on my daily walks until I got the 70-200, and I still use it, especially indoors. I haven't retired this lens, but it's currently getting less camera time while I explore the 70-200. If I was going to do more street photography, I think I'd start with this or the 16-35 below.

FE PZ 16–35 mm F4 G
I picked this up last September. I support a local group of musicians who gather weekly to make hand-made music. I help organize the events, handle community outreach, and since August, I've done all the photography and video. That's why I got the 16-35. It's been a lot of fun, and it was a massive change from using 24-105, as you have to get right into the action to use it. Also, the wider angle can give me shots that look similar to smartphone photos, so the feel is warm, friendly, and familiar on social media. 24 mm is the new 50 mm on social. I also use the 24-105 at these events.

The power zoom (PZ) plus clear-view zoom have been good for video too.

I rarely take photos of people, and when I do, it's with the subject's permission and consent to how it will be used. That's why I haven't shared many photos of people here. The exceptions have been the photos in the photographers at work thread.

The 16 mm end has let me explore some portraits and landscapes where the subject looms large in the foreground, and there's still room to show the larger environment. I used to bring it along on my walks with the 24-105 on the camera. In the end, I stopped doing that because I don't like changing lenses in the field. I'm sure I'll overcome that with time.

I just got this a few weeks ago. It's been great to explore the longer focal length and wider aperture. Interestingly, I'm zooming more with my feet with the 70-200 than with the 24-105. That's mainly because I got used to and like the field of view at 24 mm. To get similar composition, I have to step well back or rethink the shots I would have taken at 24mm or do a series and stitch them together.

I often will also take a long walk so I can use the 200 mm end of the lens to get a super shallow depth of field. Or, I'll do that to get something in the foreground that creates a sense of scale for the subject in the background. This is all experimentation.

And, of course, it's the thin edge of the wedge for wildlife and, lately, bird photography. I can't wait until the 2x teleconverter is available again.

A1 and A7 IV
I also got the A1 a few weeks ago. Going from 33 megapixels (A7 IV) to 50 megapixels (A1) has meant I can do deeper crops and get more reach for some birds (stationary and in-flight). This was one of the reasons I got it. The other was to find out what I could do with higher frames per second. I'm delighted when the camera captures things that happen too fast for human perception to appreciate otherwise. Now that I've got the A1, I can take it with the 16-35 and the A7 IV with the 24-105 for indoor events. But, of course, I'll also take the 70-200 in the camera bag.

Thanks for reading this far.
I have yet to figure out if I like landscapes, wildlife, birds in flight, street photography or events, but I'm keen to try everything.

Looking at others' photographs here has been an eye-opener, constant delight, and inspiration.

Last edited:
Mate, I'm not an expert in that department, I might remove a background person or a weird rock or something with the clone tool. But I have this ideology that if I have to manipulate it too much then it's not my image, as I've said I still just use the standard LR not even LR Classic, I can't stand looking at the whole Windows 3.1 style layout it, I think it's pretty crappy that such a prestigious program is like that.

I can't see the harm in removing the branches if you can work it out, but I would have just cut the tree down for that image... 😄
I was showing someone the photos from yesterday. I came across this one taken from a little farther back.

DSC04195.jpg
  • ILCE-1
  • 70.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/40 sec
  • ISO 640

And so you don't have to scroll back, here is the one I posted yesterday (with the tree).
DSC04197.jpg
  • ILCE-1
  • 70.0 mm
  • ƒ/13
  • 1/40 sec
  • ISO 640

Fences make great leading lines, and your photos use the fences to lead the eye into the scene. Nice.

You know what would have been cool? and feel free to ignore my thinking out loud here, but imagine if you had the fence leading to a subject. In the second image, it would be nice if a person was around the left rule of thirds vertical, maybe 6 fence posts to the right from the little roof/noticeboard(?). Do you walk with a tripod, or was this a casual snap? because you could have set the timer and put yourself in the scene (if that's to your liking). Of course without anyone else around, no worries!
Hi, Chris.

Thanks for taking an interest. I appreciate your suggestions.

I rarely include people in my photos*. I wait for those moments when there are no folks in the frame. But that's just me projecting my own discomfort with being in photographs. I generally find that people are delighted when I ask. Mostly, I'd rather not disturb people. *When it's part of the gig, I'll shoot people doing stuff - when that's what I'm there to do.

I inherited an old tripod. It's more than I want to carry on my daily tromps through nature. And the last thing I'd want to do is include myself in a photo.

I appreciate your ideas about composition. Sometimes we like instrumental music, but most of the popular stuff has singers.

Last edited:
Hi, Chris.

Thanks for taking an interest. I appreciate your suggestions.

I rarely include people in my photos*. I wait for those moments when there are no folks in the frame. But that's just me projecting my own discomfort with being in photographs. I generally find that people are delighted when I ask. Mostly, I'd rather not disturb people. *When it's part of the gig, I'll shoot people doing stuff - when that's what I'm there to do.

I inherited an old tripod. It's more than I want to carry on my daily tromps through nature. And the last thing I'd want to do is include myself in a photo.

I appreciate your ideas about composition. Sometimes we like instrumental music, but most of the popular stuff has singers.
Understood, and your analogy of musical taste is a good one.

Hi, Clint.
Thanks for asking.
FE PZ 16–35 mm F4 G
FE 24–105mm F4 G OSS

FE 24–105mm F4 G OSS
This was my first lens (ignoring the 28-70 kit lens still in a drawer). I got it with the A7 IV when all this photography stuff started six and a half months ago. I took it on my daily walks until I got the 70-200, and I still use it, especially indoors. I haven't retired this lens, but it's currently getting less camera time while I explore the 70-200. If I was going to do more street photography, I think I'd start with this or the 16-35 below.

FE PZ 16–35 mm F4 G
I picked this up last September. I support a local group of musicians who gather weekly to make hand-made music. I help organize the events, handle community outreach, and since August, I've done all the photography and video. That's why I got the 16-35. It's been a lot of fun, and it was a massive change from using 24-105, as you have to get right into the action to use it. Also, the wider angle can give me shots that look similar to smartphone photos, so the feel is warm, friendly, and familiar on social media. 24 mm is the new 50 mm on social. I also use the 24-105 at these events.

The power zoom (PZ) plus clear-view zoom have been good for video too.

I rarely take photos of people, and when I do, it's with the subject's permission and consent to how it will be used. That's why I haven't shared many photos of people here. The exceptions have been the photos in the photographers at work thread.

The 16 mm end has let me explore some portraits and landscapes where the subject looms large in the foreground, and there's still room to show the larger environment. I used to bring it along on my walks with the 24-105 on the camera. In the end, I stopped doing that because I don't like changing lenses in the field. I'm sure I'll overcome that with time.

I just got this a few weeks ago. It's been great to explore the longer focal length and wider aperture. Interestingly, I'm zooming more with my feet with the 70-200 than with the 24-105. That's mainly because I got used to and like the field of view at 24 mm. To get similar composition, I have to step well back or rethink the shots I would have taken at 24mm or do a series and stitch them together.

I often will also take a long walk so I can use the 200 mm end of the lens to get a super shallow depth of field. Or, I'll do that to get something in the foreground that creates a sense of scale for the subject in the background. This is all experimentation.

And, of course, it's the thin edge of the wedge for wildlife and, lately, bird photography. I can't wait until the 2x teleconverter is available again.

A1 and A7 IV
I also got the A1 a few weeks ago. Going from 33 megapixels (A7 IV) to 50 megapixels (A1) has meant I can do deeper crops and get more reach for some birds (stationary and in-flight). This was one of the reasons I got it. The other was to find out what I could do with higher frames per second. I'm delighted when the camera captures things that happen too fast for human perception to appreciate otherwise. Now that I've got the A1, I can take it with the 16-35 and the A7 IV with the 24-105 for indoor events. But, of course, I'll also take the 70-200 in the camera bag.

Thanks for reading this far.
I have yet to figure out if I like landscapes, wildlife, birds in flight, street photography or events, but I'm keen to try everything.

Looking at others' photographs here has been an eye-opener, constant delight, and inspiration.

The 16-35mm PZ is unbelievable! As everyone knows I recently replaced my 16-35mm GM with it and I don't regret it one bit. An absolutely sensational lens that PZ and it just looks so good on the camera too.

I'd probably use as sharp as possible for street stuff if I were you, the art work and buildings etc just really call for it.

I don't know I guess a lot of people find their niche but although I like to think of myself as more of a landscape shooter, I really just shoot anything and everything and regardless what genre I find I still get the same satisfaction when something comes up well. I suppose it is weather which decides what style I shoot on any given day. 🌞

Four months later

A1_04946.jpg
  • ILCE-1
  • 70.0 mm
  • ƒ/2.8
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 250
A1_04948_Panorama.jpg
  • ILCE-1
  • 70.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/40 sec
  • ISO 320

Always enjoy those golden autumn/fall colours,. I never really understood the dramatic differences in seasonal colours, and foliage until I experienced them whilst living in the US over 30 years ago. In Australia the vast majority of our are evergreen.

Plethora of fences in Horse Country near Lexington, Ky.

DSC09912-3.jpg
  • ILCE-9
  • FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS
  • 70.0 mm
  • ƒ/14
  • 1/1000 sec
  • ISO 640

Christmas day in the drizzle, still drawn in by the winding fence.
A1_09695.jpg
  • ILCE-1
  • 70.0 mm
  • ƒ/2.8
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 3200

A1_09714.jpg
  • ILCE-1
  • 165.0 mm
  • ƒ/2.8
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 3200

Last edited:
Follow the fence down to the fog
A7403632.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • Sony FE 24-105mm F4 G OSS (SEL24105G)
  • 105.0 mm
  • ƒ/5.6
  • 1/125 sec
  • ISO 1600

Misty again this morning
A1_03929.jpg
  • ILCE-1
  • 200.0 mm
  • ƒ/2.8
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 5000

A1_03931.jpg
  • ILCE-1
  • 70.0 mm
  • ƒ/2.8
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 8000

Fun with the FE PZ 16-35 MM F4 G today in the rain
A7404047.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • Sony FE PZ 16-35mm F4 G (SELP1635G)
  • 35.0 mm
  • ƒ/4
  • 1/160 sec
  • ISO 100