Original poster
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Dec 11, 2020
Name
daryl Hoshide
FE 600 GM question: what OSS mode is primarily used for BIF, mode 2? if you ever go to mode 3 what are the conditions or circumstances?

@dhoshide

Original poster
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Dec 11, 2020
Name
daryl Hoshide
I have it set on mode 2 but have not tried the other modes yet. Whenever I get the chance to shoot I forget to test anything haha.
haha, been there- done that! lens arrives Friday and can't wait. Thanks again. I am sure I will be back with more questions as this is my first Sony.

Reactions: gordonhatusupy

gordonhatusupy

Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Nov 16, 2020
Name
Gordon
This is my first 600mm F4, so I have nothing to compare it to. But I had the Nikon 300mm 2.8 and this feels much lighter. The quality of the images is outstanding and the focus speed as well. You will not be disappointed. I've also been using it with both the 1.4 and the 2.0 teleconverters. I was highly skeptical about the 2.0x but from my last session it is wonderful on the a9ii. Focus speed is fast and the quality of the images is great. The only thing I need now is to be able to record 4k in 120f. I put in an order for the a7siii and I hope there will be a competitor to the Canon R5 in 2021. I don't think Sony has a choice tbh.

@dhoshide

Original poster
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Dec 11, 2020
Name
daryl Hoshide
I have the Nikon 500F4E ED FL and like to hand-hold so did not even consider the 600FL. Ordered the battery grip and the TC 1.4 which should still be fast AF/great IQ and give me 840mm. I shoot primarily on a very wide river so the birds can be very far away. do not do any video as of yet, but would be nice to know I have the capability. Yeah, seems Canon has the edge with video on the R5 but being a Nikon shooter and now adding the Sony, the last thing I need is to add a 3rd system LOL

Reactions: gordonhatusupy

Ziggy

Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Aug 6, 2020
Country
Australia
City/State
Victoria
On the 400/2.8 I find it pays off to match the mode to the subject. 1 for perched birds, 2 for panning and 3 for everything else. But if I'm feeling lazy, 3 does OK.

Pro Membership Upgrade

• If you'd like to support this community you can easily do so by becoming a Pro Member and unlocking the following benefits:

✓ No Adverts in the Forums
    ✓ Pro Member Competitions
    ✓ Sell Items in the Marketplace
    ✓ Unlimited Gallery Uploads
    ✓ Higher Resolution Gallery Uploads
    ✓ Forum Profile Signature
    ✓ Custom Profile Cover Photo
    ✓ Advertise Your Photography Workshops

Pro Member Upgrade

Shopping Links

You can also support this site by purchasing gear through the following affiliate links:
Although I would recommend supporting your local camera store if you have one.

User Menu

alpha shooters text logo

© 2020 Alpha Shooters. All Rights Reserved.
Disclaimer: Alpha Shooters is an independently run website and is not affiliated with Sony.com
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.