Fed up

As someone who lives in the desert I usually have the opposite problem: skies are too sunny (bad for photography) so I have a limited window of time to shoot at sunrise or sunset. Almost everyone I know who lives here loves it when it rains because it's so infrequent. However, if I lived somewhere that was dreary and/or rainy most of the time, I can see how it would get old.

For the record, I bought a Sony 1.4x at the same time I bought my 200-600 and it does work well, though I have not used it much. I was photograping a distant den of coyote pups at Rocky Mountain last summer and used it for them two days in a row. First day was sunny and I was shooting wide open (f9 with the combo) and most photos were not sharp. Second day it had just stopped raining so air was clear and I stopped down 2/3 to f11 and photos came out great. However, now I don't know if the difference was due to atmospheric haze on the first day or if the combination is not sharp wide open. I suppose you can do your own tests when your weather improves. (I should do my own tests too, but I have been too lazy!). EDIT: after I posted the image below I see the file info shows I was one full stop down to f13, though I think some were also f11.

Here is a shot from that second day, which has also been cropped in quite a bit:

coyote-family-returning-to-den.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • FE 200-600mm F5.6-6.3 G OSS + 1.4X Teleconverter
  • 840.0 mm
  • ƒ/13
  • 1/1250 sec
  • ISO 2000

Grey wet and very windy here today too Iain, things can only get better! 🌤️😎

Got a nice shiny 1.4tc to go on my 200-600, great. Got up this morning to grey sky's and pouring rain and it’s forecast for all day.
Won’t be playing with it today. 😩
yep weeks of rain and dark skies. I am sick of it Iain :(

Me too. We had sun yesterday, first time a while other than a peep here and there. Where was I? On the 35th floor of a building in downtown Detroit arguing project merits and costs with attorneys. At least I go to watch a few freighters going up and down. It's been so warm the shipping lanes on the lakes are still open.

Today, it's cloudy with rain/snow mix.

Here's a crappy 30X zoom cellphone shot from the 35th floor. The Detroit River, that's Canada on the right.

IMG_1640.jpg
  • iPhone 8 Plus
  • iPhone 8 Plus back dual camera 6.6mm f/2.8
  • 6.6 mm
  • ƒ/2.8
  • 1/160 sec
  • ISO 20

It's dismal here in Norfolk too, no piccies today.

I've escaped the British weather for the last five weeks, last stop in Spain before France tomorrow on our way home. Can't say I'm looking forward to it.

San Sebastian today......
DSC08215.JPG
  • ILCE-6600
  • E PZ 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OSS
  • 50.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 200
DSC08184.JPG
  • ILCE-6600
  • E PZ 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OSS
  • 50.0 mm