Sony A7 IV firmware update problem

Dotsmike

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Mike Douglas
I'm trying to update my firmware on my a7 iv from 1.10 to 1.11
I've formatted my card and I installed to slot 1 and my camera says "there is no media in slot 1" I've tried different cards, and I was able to view images on the card before I formatted.
I just did a factory reset to see if that would resolve and I got the same result.

Last edited:
You mean 1.10, and not 1.01, right? Just double checking due to the 1.05 issue.

Not sure what would cause that. You are downloading to a computer first, right? Then dragging and dropping to the card? And all previous versions have been removed from the card (since Sony names them all the same)?

You mean 1.10, and not 1.01, right? Just double checking due to the 1.05 issue.

Not sure what would cause that. You are downloading to a computer first, right? Then dragging and dropping to the card? And all previous versions have been removed from the card (since Sony names them all the same)?
I typed in 1.10 on my post, and I did download to the card on my PC. and it was a clean card.

Mike,
Did you format the card in the camera?

Here is the post on the main blog of this site that details how to do it. It worked for me.

Here is the post on the main blog of this site that details how to do it. It worked for me.
Thanks Fred, I've done exactly that.
Question, If I currently have version 1.10 installed, then I must have already done the firmware version 1.05, correct? I ask because I keep seeing that v1.11 won't install if v1.05 was not installed previously.
Sony official statement: “This update was suspended on August 24, 2022, because some products could not operate properly after the update to Ver.1.10. The update has resumed with countermeasures on September 8, 2022. We apologize for your inconvenience. In case you have already updated to Ver.1.10, if you can set RAW File Type to Lossless Compression (L), the issue will not appear. (Added on September 8, 2022)”.

@Dotsmike I am not sure. Can I assume you never did any updates yourself and you bought the camera with 1.10 already loaded? I think @Timothy Mayo is the one who can best address your issues.

No, I did the update to 1.10.
How do I get Timothy Mayo to chime in Fred?

No, I did the update to 1.10.
How do I get Timothy Mayo to chime in Fred?
He's the Forum Boss. Just PM him as he's dealing with 2 small children so he might miss your Post. Also, it's the weekend.

Hey Mike. If you are running 1.10 then you must have upgraded to 1.05 first or if you recently bought the camera it might already have had 1.05 or 1.10 installed. As for the "there is no media in slot 1" error, that's a strange one especially if you have tried multiple cards. What cards are you using? If you format the card in-camera then shoot images is everything working fine then? and the error only appears after you copy the firmware over?

Hi Tim, I have a Sony CF express, SanDisk Extreme Pro, and a pro master. I know I did an upgrade, I think only once, and it was quite easy, I do format the card in camera, and things appear fine to me.
Thanks for chiming in Tim!
It doesn't look like v1.11 has all that much going that I'll be missing, I'm just concerned with future upgrades that I'll be having the same issues.

Last edited:
Hi Tim, I have a Sony CF express, SanDisk Extreme Pro, and a pro master. I know I did an upgrade, I think only once, and it was quite easy, I do format the card in camera, and things appear fine to me.
Thanks for chiming in Tim!
It doesn't look like v1.11 has all that much going that I'll be missing, I'm just concerned with future upgrades that I'll be having the same issues.
It is odd if the memory cards are otherwise working fine. I guess you have tried downloading it again? What's the name of the file you are copying over?

I'm sorry Tim, I don't understand your question, I'm downloading v1.11 and I can see the download happening to my formatted card, I then insert it to slot 1, turn on camera, select menu, setup, setup option, version, the OK is orange, toggle up to software update, which turns a faint orange, then I get the message that there is no media.
The file appears as BODYDAT 867,921 KB , I then drag it to M4ROOT

Last edited:
I'm sorry Tim, I don't understand your question, I'm downloading v1.11 and I can see the download happening to my formatted card, I then insert it to slot 1, turn on camera, select menu, setup, setup option, version, the OK is orange, toggle up to software update, which turns a faint orange, then I get the message that there is no media.
The file appears as BODYDAT 867,921 KB , I then drag it to M4ROOT
If you are copying it to the M4ROOT folder that might be why it doesn’t work. BODYDATA.DAT needs to go in the main root directory of the card, not in any of the sub-folders.

The file reads as; BODYDAT not BODYDATA.DAT
Maybe this is the problem?
That’s probably it. Although your file browser might hide the .DAT extension but it should still be called BODYDATA and not BODYDAT

Any idea why it shows as that and any idea how to remedy, and does it need to have .DAT after BODYDATA

Any idea why it shows as that and any idea how to remedy, and does it need to have .DAT after BODYDATA
I'm afraid not. Where are you downloading it from? I just downloaded it from here and it's definitely BODYDATA.DAT

Try downloading it to another folder on your computer just in case it's getting renamed. If you already have the 1.05 firmware in your downloads folder then when you download 1.11 it will get renamed as they have the same file name.

Are you using Mac or Windows? There will be an option to display system file extensions but that shouldn't really matter. But it definitely needs to be called BODYDATA for it to work.

I'm all set Tim, I called Sony and they worked me through it. It seems that the file was not named correctly because it would either have (1) after BODYDATA from my multiple attempts. And it doesn't have to show .DAT on the file explorer download page. She (Sony) thinks that happened because of the windows 11 update.
Anyway, thanks for your help.
Mike

I'm all set Tim, I called Sony and they worked me through it. It seems that the file was not named correctly because it would either have (1) after BODYDATA from my multiple attempts. And it doesn't have to show .DAT on the file explorer download page. She (Sony) thinks that happened because of the windows 11 update.
Anyway, thanks for your help.
Mike
Glad that you got it sorted in the end Mike!

Back