Name
ST
Country
Canada
City/State
British Columbia
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
For those following along, the air quality hasn't been great around here, and this has put a damper on my early-morning, pre-dawn photography.
Today, it was also raining. So here is a photo I caught about thirty minutes before sunrise. The light was more like 3:00 am than 6:00 am. If you look closely, you can see the rain.
A1_04134.jpg
  • ILCE-1
  • Sony FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS II (SEL70200GM2)
  • 200.0 mm
  • ƒ/2.8
  • 1/100 sec
  • ISO 20000

This may be my favourite lens.
I'd be happy to hear your thoughts on this photo.

Thanks!

I like it mate. Wouldn't mind seeing a crop of the left over real estate on the left, but quite a decent shot as is. Interesting lighting over the water ripples. 🙂

I like it mate. Wouldn't mind seeing a crop of the left over real estate on the left, but quite a decent shot as is. Interesting lighting over the water ripples. 🙂
Thanks for your thoughts, Clint.

I had considered a closer crop, but I wanted to keep the wake, maintain a sense of balance, and preserve some negative space in front of the boat.

Thanks for your thoughts, Clint.

I had considered a closer crop, but I wanted to keep the wake, maintain a sense of balance, and preserve some negative space in front of the boat.

Indeed. That's why I said I think a bit off the left side may be beneficial. Didn't say anything about the wake or water in front of the boat.

nice shot the only thing I would do is crop a little off the left and top
Thanks, Bob.

For both you and Clint, as suggested
A1_04134 1.jpg
  • ILCE-1
  • 200.0 mm
  • ƒ/2.8
  • 1/100 sec
  • ISO 20000

That feels different, as though there is less ahead (perhaps, to look forward to) and more emphasis on the wake (the past). Is that what you fellows were going for? Or were you thinking that I should have the boat centred in the frame (since that's one of the consequences of cropping the top left)?

I tend not to centre things or creatures in motion these days deliberately. I try to create a feeling of anticipation about where they are headed or looking.

The original is good; though for my screen I would probably leave the left side alone and just rob the top to fit 16:9 as full screen --- if you drop the blacks, how does it look then?

The original is good; though for my screen I would probably leave the left side alone and just rob the top to fit 16:9 as full screen --- if you drop the blacks, how does it look then?
Hi, Miao.
As you suggested: cropped and blacks reduced by 25%
A1_04134 2.jpg
  • ILCE-1
  • 200.0 mm
  • ƒ/2.8
  • 1/100 sec
  • ISO 20000

blacks reduced by 50%
A1_04134 3.jpg
  • ILCE-1
  • 200.0 mm
  • ƒ/2.8
  • 1/100 sec
  • ISO 20000

How is that?

Nice shot indeed. I might have cropped differently, but I'm not sure. I'd have experimented a fair bit.

Nice one. On balance I like the first one. Being able to see a bit of the road/bridge in the background makes it more interesting than with the blacks down to my eye. As for the cropping, having the boat centered does not offend me. There is a bit of a story of the wake behind the boat but also the openness of where the boat is heading. Interested in 20k ISO. Not a heap of noise there and the rain perhaps masks some of that anyway. I’m generally thinking to stay below 6400 but your shot makes me think about the wisdom of sacrificing that in low light (not that I’m out and about at that time of day!).

Hi, Clide.
Great photo, love the reflection off of the water and the fisher people. May I recommend that you either crop out or remove the lights at the top of the photo? My eyes keep wondering up there. clide
Thanks for your thoughts.

As recommended, I removed the lights. The consensus in this discussion has been to favour the original crop (rather than trimming the top).

A1_04134 5.jpg
  • ILCE-1
  • 200.0 mm
  • ƒ/2.8
  • 1/100 sec
  • ISO 20000

What do you think?

Initially, I left the lights in the picture because they are always visible except when there is dense fog over the water. But that's my experience of being there and knowing the landscape instead of someone else looking at the photo.

Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions. I learned a great deal from you and exercise of implementing the changes.

To shed some light on the subject, here is the same scene 24 hours later, without the fishing boat. As you can see, it was lighter out, and we can see the shore across the bay.

A1_04297 1.jpg
  • ILCE-1
  • 200.0 mm
  • ƒ/2.8
  • 1/60 sec
  • ISO 10000

PS - The easiest way I've found to compare several images in a thread without scrolling through text responses is to click on one of them and then click on the arrows on the side of the images.

Edit: @Jeff A
Thanks for your suggestion, I applied the noise reduction available in Capture One Pro to the photo above.

Last edited:
Hi, Clide.

Thanks for your thoughts.

As recommended, I removed the lights. The consensus in this discussion has been to favour the original crop (rather than trimming the top).

View attachment 46052

What do you think?

Initially, I left the lights in the picture because they are always visible except when there is dense fog over the water. But that's my experience of being there and knowing the landscape instead of someone else looking at the photo.

That's just perfect. No objections from me. I love how the boat adventures into the dark. A thrilling shot for sure. Great work.

A little noise reduction would go a long way for this shot.

For those following along, the air quality hasn't been great around here, and this has put a damper on my early-morning, pre-dawn photography.
Today, it was also raining. So here is a photo I caught about thirty minutes before sunrise. The light was more like 3:00 am than 6:00 am. If you look closely, you can see the rain. View attachment 45865
This may be my favourite lens.
I'd be happy to hear your thoughts on this photo.

Thanks!
Nice shot, I love the waves in the wake and the rain drops illuminated by the lights. The 70-200mm GM II is an amazing lens, I love it.

Back