Following
Name
Keith Horkins
Country
Canada
City/State
Ontario
Hi all
I have the A7r4 and I am looking to purchase the 200-600 for bird and wildlife.. I have been reading that there are some issues withe the A7r4 and the 200-600 with regards to focusing. Have any of you come across this issue and if so what was the problem and has it been fixed.
I’m hoping to purchase the lens this week but have for now become hesitant.
Your help and advice would be greatly appreciated..

Ok, so after an extended 1 hour test. If it's set at 600mm, no creep whatsoever, rock solid. Set at 200mm, it does creep to 250 fairly quickly as it goes, but no further. It does not creep at any other focal length. Now obviously I don't know what focal lengths you intend shooting at, but this was interesting, but will certainly be no worse than any big zoom. It's really testament to how smooth the Sony zoom ring is I guess. Regardless there are anti creep bands available, and I would still pick the Sony over the Sigma every time.
Really appreciate you taking the time to try it out! I imagine most of those high angle shots would be at 600. And I did see a recommendation to use lensbands to keep it from creeping. I’ll have to keep those in mind!

Really appreciate you taking the time to try it out! I imagine most of those high angle shots would be at 600. And I did see a recommendation to use lensbands to keep it from creeping. I’ll have to keep those in mind!
No problem, it was useful for me to try, but I kind of guessed 600 would be where you'd be at for moon shots etc. My test was with the lens at 45 degrees and above.

Got my 200-600 a couple of days ago and it performs exactly how yours does. No creep at 90 degrees when set to 600mm. Thanks again for trying that out for me. I can't wait to put it through its paces!

Got my 200-600 a couple of days ago and it performs exactly how yours does. No creep at 90 degrees when set to 600mm. Thanks again for trying that out for me. I can't wait to put it through its paces!
Nice, and no problem. Enjoy the lens. it's truly great.

This orange covered in insects was 30 feet away, took it with my A7R4a and my 200-600 (pic is SOOC). I'd say that sharp enough.
fliesAS.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM4A
  • FE 200-600mm F5.6-6.3 G OSS
  • 600.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/1600 sec
  • ISO 800

Back