Followers
Following
Name
Chris
Country
United States
City/State
Pembroke Pines/FL
Using this shot of a lady in costume at last week's Renaissance festival, I wanted to see what ON1 2024 would do with its new Brilliance AI.
I used available light, but note she is sitting in shade with some partial sunlight hitting her wings...

Here is the unedited:
DSC05407.jpg
  • Sony E 35mm f/1.8 OSS
  • 35.0 mm
  • ƒ/4
  • 1/160 sec
  • ISO 320

Brilliance AI set to 100%:
DSC05407 1.jpg
  • Sony E 35mm f/1.8 OSS
  • 35.0 mm
  • ƒ/4
  • 1/160 sec
  • ISO 320

My usual editing style and a very slight vignette:
DSC05407 3.jpg
  • Sony E 35mm f/1.8 OSS
  • 35.0 mm
  • ƒ/4
  • 1/160 sec
  • ISO 320

I think the Brilliance AI did a decent job, but it seemed like it lifted the shadows a bit too much. Maybe I just like more contrast.
One disappointing thing is that ON1 2024 crashed on me twice while editing the last version, hence the crop is not 100% the same as the previous two.

Interesting comparison. Brilliance has basically added vibrancy and saturation. I quite like that and your edit.

Both look pretty good, I'm surprised at how well ON1 did on its own. I do lean toward yours though if I'm choosing.

The original isn't terribly underexposed though. I'd like to see how it does in really low-light situations. Take some random shots and underexpose them at different rates and see what happens. Make it work harder!

Both look pretty good, I'm surprised at how well ON1 did on its own. I do lean toward yours though if I'm choosing.

The original isn't terribly underexposed though. I'd like to see how it does in really low-light situations. Take some random shots and underexpose them at different rates and see what happens. Make it work harder!
That's a thought. I might go back to last vacation's pictures and see how well ON1 does.

I like yours better it certainly has a little more shadow and contrast which gives it something, looks less like a snapshot.

I like yours better it certainly has a little more shadow and contrast which gives it something, looks less like a snapshot.
Cheers Ian. I find that ALL of my photos from the A6400 need a boost of contrast. In ON1, I add +15 to +20 on the contrast slider. Is that typical of working with RAW or is it a thing that is specific to the camera body?

Cheers Ian. I find that ALL of my photos from the A6400 need a boost of contrast. In ON1, I add +15 to +20 on the contrast slider. Is that typical of working with RAW or is it a thing that is specific to the camera body?
I have the A6500 and also find I add a little contrast, however, I’m no expert. I suspect it’s more to do with shooting in RAW though.

I was enjoying the first one. It's a wonderful costume: best wings I ever saw in a woman! She looks great in it.

Then I noticed the word "unedited" and scrolled down. The "Brilliance" version rather hit me between they eyes. A bit too much brilliance. The I liked your edit more.

From a photographer point of view, number 1 but the subject cries for number 3. It is fairy tale and it has to show.

From a photographer point of view, number 1 but the subject cries for number 3. It is fairy tale and it has to show.
That's an interesting take on image #1. I take it to mean a journalist's point of view: a more accurate representation without embellishment? Interesting.

Thank you for also understanding what I was going for with image #3.

Thank you for also understanding what I was going for with image #3.
Brilliance may add some brilliance but you balanced it with the subtle touch.

If one wants the pure Brilliance result it might be easier just to "turn up" a camera jpeg?

Brilliance may add some brilliance but you balanced it with the subtle touch.

If one wants the pure Brilliance result it might be easier just to "turn up" a camera jpeg?
What a brilliant idea. I'll do a comparison between raw, straight out of camera jpeg, and Brilliance AI.

Back