Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Jani
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
Hello everyone!

I just purchased used Sony A9 (+lenses) and sold all my Nikon gear couple weeks ago. You might already guess that I mainly shoot birds and wildlife but also some macro and portraiture and landscape. I was really harpressed choosing between A9 or A7IV but for now Im happy with my choice.

Im not by all means a professional but a hobbyist. I live in Finland with my wife and 1,5 years old daughter so you can imagine I have not too much time to photograph but trying my best to find time.

Thank you for accepting me to the forums, you might need to answer some of my stupid questions since the learning curve coming from Nikon D500 is quite steep.

Heres one of my first images taken with A9 and 200-600mm. It was overcast day and hence the iso 12800.
IMG_5588.jpeg
  • ILCE-9
  • FE 200-600mm F5.6-6.3 G OSS
  • 600.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/1600 sec
  • ISO 12800

Welcome!

Welcome from another former Nikon user! Made the switch to Sony a few years ago and have been very, very happy ever since. Yes, the A9 is a good choice for shooting birds, both sitting on branches and in flight. The 200-600mm is a gem of a lens, ideal for those of us who want the long reach but who can't really afford or justify buying the 600mm prime. Eventually you might want to extend your reach even more by adding a 1.4x teleconverter. I use my 200-600 most of the time with it and the combo does quite well.

Enjoy your new gear!

Welcome from another former Nikon user! Made the switch to Sony a few years ago and have been very, very happy ever since. Yes, the A9 is a good choice for shooting birds, both sitting on branches and in flight. The 200-600mm is a gem of a lens, ideal for those of us who want the long reach but who can't really afford or justify buying the 600mm prime. Eventually you might want to extend your reach even more by adding a 1.4x teleconverter. I use my 200-600 most of the time with it and the combo does quite well.

Enjoy your new gear!
Actually almost got the tc already but gonna learn the system first and then I will probably get one.

Welcome! I just made the Nikon to Sony move myself and looking forward to taking my meager skills farther than my old Nikon would allow.

Welcome! You must really be loving that setup! 👏
Yeah the AF seems ridicilously good. Alltho I have noticed that it is sometimes hard to focus birds within branches. It seems every now and then picking up something else than the bird. Probably my skills with this gear. Using medium spot af. Maybe need to swap to another af mode/area.

Yeah the AF seems ridicilously good. Alltho I have noticed that it is sometimes hard to focus birds within branches. It seems every now and then picking up something else than the bird. Probably my skills with this gear. Using medium spot af. Maybe need to swap to another af mode/area.
If you want to dig in between branches and make sure you catch the subject, use the smallest focus area possible.

There's a bit there to fiddle around with. I just use tracking wide for stationery animals, never really misses the target. Although I don't really take images of birds within branches unless it's a rare opportunity, I'm not a fan of clutter so I can't really give a great deal of insight on AF performance in that situation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back