Free Members competition

I try to make an effort to vote every month for both. I think that really the issue is lack of visibility. The forum category is about a 1/3rd of a way down the page and you still need multiple clicks to get to the active competition. The competitions don't appear in the "What's New" first page unless someone has posted to the current thread recently (or is one of the last 10 with activity since your last visit). I think if the active competitions were pinned to the top of the Forums page (above Latest Images) and the "What's New" page it would help drive traffic to them.

Lack of participation is due to:
1. Not knowing about them (posting and voting)
2. Forgetting about them (posting and voting)
3. Not having faith in your work (posting)
4. Not caring (posting and voting)
Pinning the active competitions can help with the first two.

I try to make an effort to vote every month for both. I think that really the issue is lack of visibility. The forum category is about a 1/3rd of a way down the page and you still need multiple clicks to get to the active competition. The competitions don't appear in the "What's New" first page unless someone has posted to the current thread recently (or is one of the last 10 with activity since your last visit). I think if the active competitions were pinned to the top of the Forums page (above Latest Images) and the "What's New" page it would help drive traffic to them.

#3 is the reason I don't enter more. I think I've only entered 2 or three times. I try to vote on both comps though.

#3 is the reason I don't enter more. I think I've only entered 2 or three times. I try to vote on both comps though.
If I entered, it'd be car, car, car, month after month. These contests are (usually) meany to get people out shooting. I'm hoping to use it as an impetus to get me out and moving.

Chris just enter mate, that is why we are where we are because people don`t get involved, good or bad shots rarely matter, it is clearly in eye of the viewer some of the results show that.

If I entered, it'd be car, car, car, month after month. These contests are (usually) meany to get people out shooting. I'm hoping to use it as an impetus to get me out and moving.
Well get off the laptop ;)

I do have a landscape in mind for this month's submission. Hoping to get out this weekend to shoot.

Thanks for the feedback David. I'll see what I can do about making the competition links more prominent.

Well I think we know the answer to that, I wonder if flooded landscapes count over 600 flood warning here in UK today
Alex posted a seascape for a landscape. I think a liberal interpretation is appropriate. Sea, City, Day, Night, Land, Flooded Land, dried up Lakes, Waterfalls that no longer fall...

wow now you allowed to change submitted images , jeez it is a complete joke, third entry for the above, one removed for not reading rules, second because they just suddenly have a better shot, well this sums up the whole problem

wow now you allowed to change submitted images , jeez it is a complete joke, third entry for the above, one removed for not reading rules, second because they just suddenly have a better shot, well this sums up the whole problem
Can't see any rules about a change of image I am not always around to check and post so as long as an entry is in by the submission date all is well , and yeah I acknowledge your second point 👉

Can't see any rules about a change of image I am not always around to check and post so as long as an entry is in by the submission date all is well , and yeah I acknowledge your second point 👉
It is about being fair, your images are plenty good enough for you to submit and stand by it. quite sure this will be the last monthly competition we see on here

It is about being fair, your images are plenty good enough for you to submit and stand by it. quite sure this will be the last monthly competition we see on here
Yeah but what if I feel I have a better image I want to submit as the month rolls on, in future I will wait until the last day to keep you happy.

I agree and despite the conscientious input from guests and supporters alike to improve the situation it seems at this point in time this month's
Competition will become a very poor relation to what went before, and even that needed improvement.

How on god's green earth do the extensive exclusively wildlife/birding fraternity shoot a wildlife subject into a landscape....this is not jmpossible but could have been so much easier , and accomodating for all, had the inputs been heeded and the valid shot period expanded beyond 2 months to give interested entrants a broader portfolio selection, , and a more flexible formula adopted leading to a flexible "theme" to generate the required interest.

Anyways as they say - QUE SERA SERA......whatever will be will be.......unfortunately.

I'm surprised by how seriously some of you are taking this to be honest.

I don't have any problems with the rules, just waiting for the sun to come out and the wind drop enough to get the shot I want. Then I have to remember the tripod plate, duh! Again, for flips sake Dave, get your act together, it's a twenty mile drive for nothing. Then of course I left all of my filters at home, and it's a 1500 mile drive each way to get them.

Anyway, as an almost exclusively wildlife and street shooter who's frankly excrement at landscape, I'll give it a go. If everything comes together of course.

Happy new year!

Yeah but what if I feel I have a better image I want to submit as the month rolls on, in future I will wait until the last day to keep you happy.
As one of the people in on this I don't care if you replace the image only that whatever the image is that it meets the rules for the contest.

I agree and despite the conscientious input from guests and supporters alike to improve the situation it seems at this point in time this month's
Competition will become a very poor relation to what went before, and even that needed improvement.

How on god's green earth do the extensive exclusively wildlife/birding fraternity shoot a wildlife subject into a landscape....this is not jmpossible but could have been so much easier , and accomodating for all, had the inputs been heeded and the valid shot period expanded beyond 2 months to give interested entrants a broader portfolio selection, , and a more flexible formula adopted leading to a flexible "theme" to generate the required interest.

Anyways as they say - QUE SERA SERA......whatever will be will be.......unfortunately.
If I, someone that shoots 90%+ wildlife, can find a way to do a landscape photo so can you. I'd also like to point out that it takes me more than an hour drive in almost any direction to escape suburbia (the one that doesn't just puts you in the ocean) and in most of those directions the ground is flat, which means you just need to try and be creative, which is kind of the point. If you don't win hopefully you learned something new and your photography grows.

I cannot understand how allowing people who have been shooting Sony for years and years to draw from an expanded portfolio is 'fair' to people new to Sony. There are some very experienced photographers here who've just joined and come from Nikon or another brand. If the intent is to bolster participation, it makes sense to start on a level playing field. I've also never seen a 'monthly' competition that allowed entries made in other months, that would be the whole point.

If you can shoot a bird, you can shoot a landscape. I see 3 entries 7 days into the competition, pretty normal from what I can tell.

Just wondered if anyone else wanted to change the image they already entered and met the rules first time?

We had competition issues before that, and I don`t care who wins as long as there are rules, and we all stick to them, we have had people just entering the competition once a month and not adding to the forum at all and that is not really fair if they only visit for the competition. I guess they would not do that if it was just for bragging rights, non of the people entered now and most that enter now are those people! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hear hear ....thanks for that 😊

Last edited by a moderator:
looks like someone went running to Tim Mayo?

looks like someone went running to Tim Mayo?
Maybe they did, or maybe he exercised his Admin powers appropriately. I am disappointed in how the thread went downhill. In my previous time as a forum moderator, I would have stepped in earlier and issued warnings...

Maybe they did, or maybe he exercised his Admin powers appropriately. I am disappointed in how the thread went downhill. In my previous time as a forum moderator, I would have stepped in earlier and issued warnings...

Warnings for what exactly Chris? I personally think we should start giving warnings to people who are overly sensitive. How did men allowed themselves to deteriorate to this point..? It's just ridiculous and embarrassing. 🫣

Warnings for what exactly Chris? I personally think we should start giving warnings to people who are overly sensitive. How did men allowed themselves to deteriorate to this point..? It's just ridiculous and embarrassing. 🫣
It wasn't the right place for the feedback (if that is what it can be called), and hopefully the bickering didn't dissuade new users from posting entries. Hell, this isn't even the right thread for feedback, we should be using this one: https://www.alphashooters.com/community/threads/pro-member-competition-feedback.1526/

As you will have noticed I've moved all of the rants from our site supporters competition thread into this feedback thread, although not specifically for the site supporters competition it continues the previous discussion. The competitions will be merged next month anyway and there will again be a single feedback thread.

@spudhead If you have an issue with any of the competition rules then you can address them to me, it's not your job to start ranting at other members regarding their entries, especially not in the unfriendly manner which you did.

We don't have a rule about changing your submitted entry but going forward this should probably only be allowed due to the snapped date being outside of the allowed window and not because a better photo was taken.

Let's not forget folks that this competition is just a bit of friendly fun for the forum. It's not the International Photography Awards and certainly not worth getting your knickers in a twist. If it stops being fun then it's not worth running it.

As you will have noticed I've moved all of the rants from our site supporters competition thread into this feedback thread, although not specifically for the site supporters competition it continues the previous discussion. The competitions will be merged next month anyway and there will again be a single feedback thread.

@spudhead If you have an issue with any of the competition rules then you can address them to me, it's not your job to start ranting at other members regarding their entries, especially not in the unfriendly manner which you did.

We don't have a rule about changing your submitted entry but going forward this should probably only be allowed due to the snapped date being outside of the allowed window and not because a better photo was taken.

Let's not forget folks that this competition is just a bit of friendly fun for the forum. It's not the International Photography Awards and certainly not worth getting your knickers in a twist. If it stops being fun then it's not worth running it.
Totally understand and agree Tim, I enter domestic and international competitions and you can make as many changes as you wish up to the closing date, I was really disappointed in the message that I received.

In competitions I have seen on other forums when a member changes his or her original entry they indicate that in the thread and offer an explanation. If I recall correctly there may also be a limit on how many times a member can swap out entries. In at least one forum in which I participate there are no competitions at all, specifically because they can and do cause conflicts and dissension.

I agree with Deleted Member 5003's comments as well as iamdlewis' suggestions in his post above, too. Limiting the shooting period to just two months seems rather too narrow a time frame, and I can see how a rolling quarter would work well.

Back