Welcome to Our Sony Alpha Shooters Forum

Be apart of something great, join today!

Freewell magnetic filters & Sony 16 - 35 GM2, clipping.

View the Latest Sony Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

mark.s

Newcomer
Followers
0
Following
0
Joined
Aug 21, 2021
Posts
19
Likes Received
45
Trophy Points
13
Name
Mark Sturman

Freewell M2 Magnetic Quick Swap 5-pack 82mm ND8, ND64,ND1000,CPL UV Filters​

The filter thread on this lens [16-35 GM 2] is 82mm, so I bought an 82mm set of magnetic filters including the primary screw-in base ring to adhere the filters to.
Maybe I needed the Ultra-Slim set for the 82mm and that may have solved my problem.
I have had no issues at all with a filter falling off [so far] and it seems quite strong for retention in situ which can possibly mean a slight more effort is required to remove a filter but rather that than it falling off.
All is well until adding/stacking another filter and the picture corners are clipped at between 16 - 19 mm.
My only way around this other than reverting to the larger glass style filters, which I still have for my Nikon, is to buy the next set up in size which is 86mm or the 95mm.
The larger one with an 82 - 96 step-up base ring would allow this fitment and hopefully do away with the issue.
It's almost £300 though, for the kit.
I probably won't bother, this is just a hobby for me and I'll get by without stacking.
Maybe people are aware of such an issue and think my concern is due to a lack of knowledeg and that may even be correct but if I can make this fundamental mistake, so can someone else, possibly. :)
Just give it some thought if you're thinking of using this lens/filter size combination.

The filter kit in general is a decent buy for an amateur/hobbyist like myself, stacking aside that is.
I bought the £129 set.
Live and learn.
 

View the Latest Sony Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Back
Top