Followers
Following
Name
Luis M. Anibarro
Country
Spain
City/State
Tenerife
Back from this country, a short 6 days visit, mixed feelings about the experience, but there are some really nice spots in my memory with a very pleasant experience, such as the villages of Gjirokaster and Berat, both a must to see in Albania, and also the Sarande's Blue Eye (there is another "blue eye" in Theth).

bicigjiro-1.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • FE 35mm F1.4 GM
  • 35.0 mm
  • ƒ/1.4
  • 1/50 sec
  • ISO 100

I love this shot with the blurred background. During the communist era, Albania had a reputation of being the most repressive country in eastern Europe. What is it like visiting there now? Do many people speak English?

Actually, in that town's famous castle, you can read it was a repression jail for anticomunists.
I simply did not spot any traces of that sad past now in the places I visited, such as Sarande, Berat, Gjirokaster, Vlore and the riviera. Not many people speak english, only people related to tourism can barely speak a little english, but communication was not any easy for me there.
castillo-1.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • FE 35mm F1.4 GM
  • 35.0 mm
  • ƒ/9
  • 1/250 sec
  • ISO 100

Thanks for reply. I love Europe - in fact I just got back from Belgium and France - but I doubt I will ever make it to Albania.

Well, I'm not willing to be disrespectful with Albania, but if I were in your case, I'd firstly visit for instance Iceland, Italy (Tuscany, Dolomites, Florence, Venice Carnival), Netherlands (the blooming season), Ireland, Scotland, Portugal, and of course, I humbly advise to visit my own country, Spain. Actually, I'm running photo workshops in almost all those destinations, specially in the first one, Iceland, and of course, in my country. And I specially feature a portrait photo workshop every year at Venice Carnival.

Well, I'm not willing to be disrespectful with Albania, but if I were in your case, I'd firstly visit for instance Iceland, Italy (Tuscany, Dolomites, Florence, Venice Carnival), Netherlands (the blooming season), Ireland, Scotland, Portugal, and of course, I humbly advise to visit my own country, Spain. Actually, I'm running photo workshops in almost all those destinations, specially in the first one, Iceland, and of course, in my country. And I specially feature a portrait photo workshop every year at Venice Carnival.
Venice is, of course, on my wish list. I have been to Europe seven times, but not yet to Italy. I have been to southern Spain (Sevilla and Cordoba) twice and I speak Spanish fairly well, so it is easy to get around. When I was in France last week I met a Portuguese taxi driver and he said everyone in Portugal speaks English. Anyway, lots of places in the world to see but not enough time or money!

Back