Gordon Laing’s A9III REVIEW (part 1)

AlphaWorld

Veteran Member
Followers
Following
Name
Tony

He says he waited a while for the hype to clear, and that was probably smart - his style is essentially hype-free.

There isn’t a heap of new information, although he does include a good demo of how the camera makes it easier to pick “the shot” from a burst of over 100 frames - I haven’t seen anyone else show that yet (it was in the announcement, though). He also shows a good demo of the effect of using really fast flash sync to turn the background into dusk/night.

All up, this is one of the best considered reviews I’ve seen, but it has not dampened my desire for the beast :-(

I listened to this while I was driving down the coast today. What a crazy tool this camera is. Any photographer who will utilise that type of capability must be very excited indeed! 📷

Interesting. Nice bit of advertising for MPB, and if they are offering 1500 for an A9 ii I' might see if I can pick one up for £1600 :)
Anyway, the review seems fair, and he made some good points about it's usefulness for the vast majority of users. It will definitely dominate the Olympics though, if the resolution is enough.

I saw the hint of the rumour of a new Nikon Z9, but I haven't seen even a hint of a rumour about a new Canon. Has anyone seen any suggestion of what Canon might be bringing to the party? Well, I've seen a sarcastic suggestion about someone placing an order for "R3 Mark II" labels to paste over "R1", but that was all.

I'm keen to see what else is coming.

Interesting. Nice bit of advertising for MPB, and if they are offering 1500 for an A9 ii I' might see if I can pick one up for £1600 :)
Anyway, the review seems fair, and he made some good points about it's usefulness for the vast majority of users. It will definitely dominate the Olympics though, if the resolution is enough.
Kev are you sure you want to take a hit on mp?

Well it's not as a main camera but as a back up for BIF. It's only a might

I saw the hint of the rumour of a new Nikon Z9, but I haven't seen even a hint of a rumour about a new Canon. Has anyone seen any suggestion of what Canon might be bringing to the party? Well, I've seen a sarcastic suggestion about someone placing an order for "R3 Mark II" labels to paste over "R1", but that was all.

I'm keen to see what else is coming.
Without going into any detail, I have held an R1. I have also had my photo taken with one. Canon is doing a very good job of keeping things under wraps. I do expect it by the Olympics, although when I asked my source they just shrugged.

Well it's not as a main camera but as a back up for BIF. It's only a might
I know you like to shoot crop with the a74r and I feel you might regret the step back to 24 mp, yes a good sensor and great focus but I have to be very careful and still I get it wrong a lot, over cropping etc

I could also get the OM1 for less...

Just to add, as I forgot. I love him saying they should make the subject recognition modes easier access... NO NEEED!

Just to add, as I forgot. I love him saying they should make the subject recognition modes easier access... NO NEEED!
Stop it! I am depending on train recognition for the next firmware update!

Stop it! I am depending on train recognition for the next firmware update!
I did chuckle when I saw that on the menu. Which type, Bullet, Steam, Freight or Groovy?

I did chuckle when I saw that on the menu. Which type, Bullet, Steam, Freight or Groovy?
il_fullxfull.2225586905_ahw5.jpg

Soul Train
Wouldn't that be a full spectrum converted camera? :p
Search ebay for full spectrum converted cameras and some of them will be labelled as "ghost hunting" cameras. :ROFLMAO:

Wouldn't that be a full spectrum converted camera? :p
Search ebay for full spectrum converted cameras and some of them will be labelled as "ghost hunting" cameras. :ROFLMAO:
Also known as idiot hunting cameras :D

The sort of idiot that would use the train spotting feature is likely to get run over by one, better shot if I stand between these big metal things, jeez

The sort of idiot that would use the train spotting feature is likely to get run over by one, better shot if I stand between these big metal things, jeez
I do try to come up with a use for it, so far anything logical eludes me.

Perhaps when it recognises a train it jots the number down in a little pad, or speaks in a Scouse accent and narrates.

I watched most of it, save the video stuff and some of the parts I don't care about. Like Spud says, he mentions several times how niche the camera is and at one point I think he even says most people shouldn't buy it. There's comment on the high native ISO and how one should not expect DR to be as good as Sony's other current offerings. Sony's qualifier is that the camera was designed for speed, so it doesn't matter. He makes a statement about how Sony says that, but he thinks it simply a limitation on the global shutter.

Last edited:
Yep the base line iso was not really a suprise and we now see how Sony has ensured they did not kill the a1, some good features but for sure that are a plus, for me and probably most average users if they are honest about it the a9iii is a big no

The Farm - Groovy Train

I watched most of it, save the video stuff and some of the parts I don't care about. Like Spud says, he mentions several times how niche the camera is and at one point I think he even says most people shouldn't buy it. There's comment on the high native ISO and how one should not expect DR to be as good as Sony's other current offerings. Sony's qualifier is that the camera wasn't designed for speed, so it doesn't matter. He makes a statement about how Sony says that, but he thinks it simply a limitation on the global shutter.

I don't recall anyone saying that the A9III "wasn't designed for speed" - I'd have thought speed was it's primary raison d'être?

Yes, it was a nice video. I was getting fed up with the high-energy hype of some others I've looked at, although they probably all had something worth taking away.

It'll be nice to see his Part 2 --- some time next year.

Back