Followers
Following
Name
Ralph Ernesti
Country
Australia
City/State
Mildura
Over the last 6 months I have been thinking about putting one of these into my pocket when I am going out birding.
I will state the reason why so this hopefully can be understood a little better from my point of view.
When I but it it really always us, go out birding we will go to our location and park the car and begin our walk.
Then we will find a patch of birds and usually we will follow the one which is lesser known.
And doing this we can walk quite a long way from where we have started from.
So far we have been lucky to find our way back to the car, as one tree can just look like the last one.
If I got one of these I would have to do what in needed put it in my pocket and then go okay where is our starting point.
With this thing we will be able to follow our tracks to the beginning and then there is the car.

Do any of you on this page use one of these for this reason. Oh I do know you can use it to pin point interesting spots as well.
If I was to get one which one would you say to go out and buy. Not the one with the most tricks as I am not after one to out smart me.
But one that has got the good basic's for the little story above.

I always use my iPhone to help me find my 'Parked Car'. I imagine there would be an app for many of the Smartphones out there.

Yes, my Android phone does the job.

If you're wedded to the idea of a stand-alone unit ....

Have a look at the Garmin eTrex 20x. On its own it will be enough to direct you back to your car. It's basemap is very basic. Getting a 3rd party topo map for it (not Garmin's!) will show you what kind of terrain you're getting into.

Units like this take an investment of time and nous to master (including the computer programs that feed and manage them).

Last edited:
Thank you Drewid and Ziggy for the information.
I am going to look for a stand alone as I feel it will work better for me.
Not that I have any idea just a gut feeling on this as I am more than willing to be wrong.

I have looked for the same sort of thing to have on my smart phone but all cost.
But saying this I don't know if there are more cost to a stand alone one either.
So many thanks and I will look in to all ths devices .

I found an app to work and work well on my phone and came hoe real happy about it.
Told me wife who then turned around and said you don't nee that and gave me my early Christmas present.
It is a Garmin eTrex 10, yep its the cheapest one of the lot but going by what was said and read about it this is all that is needed.

So being a good boy I sat and read what I could before getting bored with reading.
But I got what I thought I needed I was out on a birds day.
Time to go back to the car the Garmin told me the right way back to it.

Then something went wrong after this. I just had no idea what or where to go on it to work no more.
Many tries later it was close to throwing it into the river for all it was worth.
Our daughter came around I gave her the paper work and no joke 3 seconds later she said do this then that then it will get you there.
It did so its working now and I hope I don't get lost now.

Back