Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Gary
Country
United Kingdom
This is a bit strange I saw this pair of grebes building a nest on a lone rock on a local lake about 10 metres from the waters edge where they were under constant attack from the local dogs and gulls, all the other pairs are nesting in the reed line under cover
grebe 2023 11.jpg
  • ILCE-9
  • Sony FE 200–600mm F5.6–6.3 G OSS (SEL200600G)
  • 600.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/2000 sec
  • ISO 640

I have seen them do this before and in my case they raised three chicks. It maybe they feel safer in that they can see if anything is coming. In the reeds things can creep up on them.
I may be wrong, just a thought.

I have seen them do this before and in my case they raised three chicks. It maybe they feel safer in that they can see if anything is coming. In the reeds things can creep up on them.
I may be wrong, just a thought.
It is no secret Iain that my bird knowledge is tiny, I only started taking an interest in bird photography 10-12 months back seriously, so you are probably right mate

I have seen documentaries of bird colonies, where the weaker couple had to breed in impossible place, since there was no more room In the more protected areas.

I have seen documentaries of bird colonies, where the weaker couple had to breed in impossible place, since there was no more room In the more protected areas.
OK interesting (y)

Back