Hello from Cotswolds UK.

Simon.S

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Simon Silvester
Hi trying to get used to a7riii. I mainly shoot landscapes and when possible travel photography. I am a retired landscape gardener and keen mountain biker and enjoy photographing what is around me. One of my objectives is to capture the colours in whatever I am shooting as accurately as possible so awb is not always right, I have camera set on landscape and vivid which I am happy with.
I have made the strategic decision to shoot in jpeg except for dark sky shots and do not carry a tripod unless it is pitch black. I get very little opportunity to shoot at night which is something I would like to do more of.
My main concern is the amount of adjustments I have to make to get the result I want, any tips from the landscape shooters would be welcome.
I have the 24-105 and 100-400 G lenses as I instinctively shoot in that range rather than wide angle. AFFC7C4A-B542-4647-AA85-288B32B6F60E.jpeg EBC71498-2A0E-4ED3-8923-1E4578CCE755.jpeg 077D14A2-604B-4C1B-88B7-5DBA1F453AC6.jpeg

One trick is to have an 18% grey source in a shot. My micro fiber cloths are all 18% grey so I hang one somewhere in shot and WB in Lightroom. It takes an extra exposure or a crop to remove it. Bright sunny days are always a problem for jpeg as the dynamic range is too great with limited recovery, overcast days make it a lot easier. A handheld light meter reading can help sometimes. Lens filter, polarizing and graduated are the standard methods for getting it right in camera. A lot of these methods are now considered 'old school' as modern cameras and post production software has come so far as to make them unnecessary but still fun when you want and I still have all the kit.

Thanks for this interesting reply. I have a lot to learn on the technical side.

I worked a year as a landscape gardener on a private estate with a Scots super. Twelve acres of lawn cut twice a week, two cut once a month, five formal gardens, one sunken, all Brit style, formal but natural. Hand raked the lawns every day in the fall. It was gorgeous and you know what I am talking about.

I expect we will see some gorgeous flora from you. I am looking forward to it. Welcome.

A way I get interesting color is HDR. Three shots, one is one f-stop under, one correct and the last one f-stop over put together in the camera. I've had good luck with this so you may want to try it. The cost is the same either way. ;o)

Last edited:
Back