Hello from Larkspur, CO USA.

Welcome aboard.

Welcome to the Forum, Bob. In regard to your question I have owned an A7 III for just over a year and have loved this camera. I have an A7 IV on order not because of any failings on the M3, but because of the added features of the M4. You would be happy with either one, there's just more to love with the A7 IV. For may of us, it may boil down to Pocketbook issues.

Welcome to the Forum, Bob. In regard to your question I have owned an A7 III for just over a year and have loved this camera. I have an A7 IV on order not because of any failings on the M3, but because of the added features of the M4. You would be happy with either one, there's just more to love with the A7 IV. For may of us, it may boil down to Pocketbook issues.
Hi Jeff...thanks for your reply. Budget is somewhat of a factor for sure. One trade off I'm considering is an M3 bundle with this pacakge below for ~$2,900 leaving some $$ for a couple more lenses . I'm seeing just the M4 with this lens, no bundle for around $3,600 .

Sony a7 III Full Frame Mirrorless Camera (Body) with Sony FE 24-105mm f/4 G OSS Full-Frame E-Mount Lens, Koah PRO Sony NP-FZ100 Two-Pack Rechargeable 2000mAh Battery and Dual Charger, Sony 64GB V60 UHS-II M-Series Card, Focus 5-Piece Accessory Kit, Lens Cleaning Brush Cleaning Tool, Focus Lens Cleaning Pen, Koah High Speed Braided Nylon USB-C Cable (6.5ft), Koah Simah Condenser Microphone, Koah Weatherproof Hard Case and The Corel Photo, Video, and Art Suite v.3.0

Hi Jeff...thanks for your reply. Budget is somewhat of a factor for sure. One trade off I'm considering is an M3 bundle with this pacakge below for ~$2,900 leaving some $$ for a couple more lenses . I'm seeing just the M4 with this lens, no bundle for around $3,600 .

Sony a7 III Full Frame Mirrorless Camera (Body) with Sony FE 24-105mm f/4 G OSS Full-Frame E-Mount Lens, Koah PRO Sony NP-FZ100 Two-Pack Rechargeable 2000mAh Battery and Dual Charger, Sony 64GB V60 UHS-II M-Series Card, Focus 5-Piece Accessory Kit, Lens Cleaning Brush Cleaning Tool, Focus Lens Cleaning Pen, Koah High Speed Braided Nylon USB-C Cable (6.5ft), Koah Simah Condenser Microphone, Koah Weatherproof Hard Case and The Corel Photo, Video, and Art Suite v.3.0

What do you shoot, primarily? Are you someone who crops quite a bit? Is action photography one of your main interests? There are some differences in these cameras, but IMO they wouldn't make a huge difference to most people.

I'm expanding (not replacing) my systems with a MK4, but if I owned a MK3 I probably wouldn't even be looking at the 4. I was in the same position as you and was ready to pull the trigger on the 3, then learned they were ready to release the new model so I waited to see what the specs were. I decided the upgraded focusing was the most important for the stuff I shoot so the 4 got the nod. Since I try to be in the 'buy once cry once' camp, the added up-front cost is less than trading in an unwanted camera later.

What do you shoot, primarily? Are you someone who crops quite a bit? Is action photography one of your main interests? There are some differences in these cameras, but IMO they wouldn't make a huge difference to most people.

I'm expanding (not replacing) my systems with a MK4, but if I owned a MK3 I probably wouldn't even be looking at the 4. I was in the same position as you and was ready to pull the trigger on the 3, then learned they were ready to release the new model so I waited to see what the specs were. I decided the upgraded focusing was the most important for the stuff I shoot so the 4 got the nod. Since I try to be in the 'buy once cry once' camp, the added up-front cost is less than trading in an unwanted camera later.
I mainly shoot landscapes and architectural, but will be looking to do more portraits with the new camera and may do more cropping (my first mirrorless full-frame). I decided to pull the trigger on the M3 bundle with the Sony 24-105 lens as an all-around. I have about $2k left over in my budget and am now reviewing options for 1-2 prime lenses....a fast, 24mat least one 24mm or 35mm 1.4. I've heard +'s and -'s on non-native lenses that are typically sold at discounts to Sony's native lenses but they seem to be good values if the performance and reliabilty is there...(Zeiss, Sigma Art, Samyang, Tamron, etc.).

Welcome and thanks for joining Bob. I've not heard of Koah Pro NP-FZ100 batteries but a lot of third-party batteries will not work correctly in the a7III or a7IV. Sometimes they do work but display a warning first and the battery remaining indicator doesn't display. I'd be interested to know how you get on with them. Hopefully if they are bundled the seller has tested them. There are lots of excellent non-native lenses out there, with both Tamron and Sigma producing some excellent glass. Often when it comes to AF performance the native Sony lenses will do best, closely followed by Tamron then Sigma. So definitely worth doing a little research here.

Welcome and thanks for joining Bob. I've not heard of Koah Pro NP-FZ100 batteries but a lot of third-party batteries will not work correctly in the a7III or a7IV. Sometimes they do work but display a warning first and the battery remaining indicator doesn't display. I'd be interested to know how you get on with them. Hopefully if they are bundled the seller has tested them. There are lots of excellent non-native lenses out there, with both Tamron and Sigma producing some excellent glass. Often when it comes to AF performance the native Sony lenses will do best, closely followed by Tamron then Sigma. So definitely worth doing a little research here.
I have to say, I have one non-Sony battery. Besides the lower rating, I get tired off the warning messages. I just use it now for powering the camera when I'm fiddling with it in my office.. It was not a Koah, have not heard of that one.

Thanks...I'll see how the Koah battery performs and consider a NP-FZ100 battery if needed.

Back