Hello from Los Angeles!

rwd

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Robin
Having recently purchased a Sony AR7III I am looking forward to advice and sharing from other blog members. I am still figuring some things out.
Sony 24-105 f4, and 16-35 f4 on trial. I am deciding on that or the Sigma Art. 14-28 f 2.8, but I am concerned about the weight. Input welcome.

Last edited:
Welcome to the happy band of Sonyphiles. You are in the right place. Re: lenses, reading some of the threads will tell that other brands do not work as well as the Sony lenses do with the Sony body. Which means you will be selling the other brand, losing money, and buying the Sony. The killer seems to be the 200 - 600 which can count gnat's eyelashes. I have the 24 - 240 and love it. It has great resolution and good color rendering. The Zeiss/Sony 55 mm f/1.8 is really good, especially if you like exquisite detail. But hang around and see what other folks have learned. And welcome aboard.

Last edited:
Welcome to the happy band of Sonyphiles. You are in the right place. Re: lenses, readiing some of the threads will tell that other brands do not work as well as the Sony lenses do with the Sony body. Which means you will be selling the other brand, losing money, and buying the Sony. The killer seems to be the 200 - 600 which can count gnat's eyelashes. I have the 24 - 240 and love it. It has great resolution and good color rendering. The Zeiss/Sony 55 mm f/1.8 is really good, especially if you like exquisite detail. But hang around and see what other folks have learned. And welcome aboard.
Thanks so much! Right now I am starting with two Sony lenses. I got a Tamron 28-200, but it was hunting too much for focus, so I sent in back and got the Sony 24-105. Less reach, but faster focus. I am off to photograph in New England in a few weeks. This will be my first big test with my new gear. I am looking for good videos on best practices with the Sony on bracketing and focus stacking. Plus I need to program some of those buttons.

Welcome! I lived in LA for 5 years, plenty to photograph across multiple genres. What are your interests?

Having recently purchased a Sony AR7III I am looking forward to advice and sharing from other blog members. I am still figuring some things out.
Sony 24-105 f4, and 16-35 f4 on trial. I am deciding on that or the Sigma Art. 14-28 f 2.8, but I am concerned about the weight. Input welcome.
Welcome to the Forum, Robin. Good luck on your lens selection. It's pretty hard to go wrong with an all Sony kit. What part of the LA are you from?

Welcome! I lived in LA for 5 years, plenty to photograph across multiple genres. What are your interests?
I love to shoot architecture and urban street photography. I spend much of my time on the east coast, where I grew up. I love photographing in NYC. I love the activity on the street. I do some landscape, but that is a "work in progress."

Welcome to the Forum, Robin. Good luck on your lens selection. It's pretty hard to go wrong with an all Sony kit. What part of the LA are you from?
Thanks so much. That is my hope. I live in Studio City. I am originally from NY and go east often to visit family in NY and PA.

Thanks so much! Right now I am starting with two Sony lenses. I got a Tamron 28-200, but it was hunting too much for focus, so I sent in back and got the Sony 24-105. Less reach, but faster focus. I am off to photograph in New England in a few weeks. This will be my first big test with my new gear. I am looking for good videos on best practices with the Sony on bracketing and focus stacking. Plus I need to program some of those buttons.

I think this is the weekend that the New York Times publishes its fall foliage issue magazine section and New England will be crawling with leaf-peepers. I thought starting in Montreal and slowly driving south on Route 7 through Vermont and Massachusetts following the turning of the leaves as they color up from green would be a great few weeks. And great photos. Middlebury College has an active breeding program of Morgan horses which are a marvelous breed. Worth a visit. You can ramble around the stables.

In Vermont Route 7 goes through Chittenden County, locally called "The Land of Milk and Honey." It is beautiful rich and fertile land and was once very big in dairy and beekeeping, hence the reference to milk and honey. It will be swamped with the urban leaf-peepers up from the southern edges of New England and New York. They will not affect one iota the beauty of the fall foliage. Have a great time.

I love to shoot architecture and urban street photography. I spend much of my time on the east coast, where I grew up. I love photographing in NYC. I love the activity on the street. I do some landscape, but that is a "work in progress."
Ahhh I can appreciate the Landscape photography as a "work in progress", I'd say same for me. As for architecture and street photography, I can see the New York influence :LOL:
I wasn't into photography when I used to live in LA, I was into cars, so i'd probably be one of the ricers zooming in Topanga Canyons 😅 but I regret not having a good camera for those days when Hot Import Nights was a big deal. Recently (2 yrs ago wow time flies) when I was in SoCal, I took a few nice shots of random subjects in Santa Monica around sunset, definitely one of my favorite places (although touristy AF). You're also close to Griffith Observatory, another touristy spot but cool to take pictures on the few days of the year when the smog isn't bad (go after it rains!)

Hah, you'll have to forgive my nostalgia, my point is that you're in a good place and interesting photos can definitely be had in SoCal.

I think this is the weekend that the New York Times publishes its fall foliage issue magazine section and New England will be crawling with leaf-peepers. I thought starting in Montreal and slowly driving south on Route 7 through Vermont and Massachusetts following the turning of the leaves as they color up from green would be a great few weeks. And great photos. Middlebury College has an active breeding program of Morgan horses which are a marvelous breed. Worth a visit. You can ramble around the stables.

In Vermont Route 7 goes through Chittenden County, locally called "The Land of Milk and Honey." It is beautiful rich and fertile land and was once very big in dairy and beekeeping, hence the reference to milk and honey. It will be swamped with the urban leaf-peepers up from the southern edges of New England and New York. They will not affect one iota the beauty of the fall foliage. Have a great time.
Thanks for the info. I think we have Route 7 in our plans. Good idea about Middlebury. Thanks so much!!

Thanks for the info. I think we have Route 7 in our plans. Good idea about Middlebury. Thanks so much!!

Thanks be damned! Post some of what you capture!

Back