Following
Name
Robert Owen
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Merthyr Tydfil
Hi, Rob here from Merthyr Tydfil, South Wales

Started out with the A6000 in 2017 where my main interest was having a good camera to capture holiday pictures - we love Greece and the islands.

Last year saw the double whammy of my 60th birthday and the arrival of my first granddaughter so my wife kindly bought me the A6600 and I added a some prime lenses (the Sigma trio) as I wanted to capture our new arrival as well as I could.

Having retired 3 years ago I have been able to spend lockdown devouring YouTube videos and practicing ( mainly in the garden on on the dogs) and finally got out of auto mode!

Looking forward to learning more from the group and hopefully one day being able to contribute.

Couldn’t resist adding some pics of my granddaughter Emilia.

Attachments

• 20DA26CA-BC79-4FA2-B7A6-062B775B07CC.jpeg
    20DA26CA-BC79-4FA2-B7A6-062B775B07CC.jpeg
    220.6 KB · Views: 40
  • 64BEB1EA-CBC2-4A37-B6D3-4A1AD7B9DF09.jpeg
    64BEB1EA-CBC2-4A37-B6D3-4A1AD7B9DF09.jpeg
    15.4 KB · Views: 39
  • 49675189-004E-49E2-AB71-E697D765840D.jpeg
    49675189-004E-49E2-AB71-E697D765840D.jpeg
    284.6 KB · Views: 40
Welcome Rob and thank you for joining up here! Happy belated birthday wishes to you too! :) I think you made a good choice with the Sigma Trio. I'm just missing the 56mm. Love the shots of your granddaughter, so cute!

Welcome Rob and thank you for joining up here! Happy belated birthday wishes to you too! :) I think you made a good choice with the Sigma Trio. I'm just missing the 56mm. Love the shots of your granddaughter, so cute!
Thanks, she is a beauty but I am a bit biased. As well as the Sigma lenses I’ve just picked up the Tamron 17-70 but lockdown means I’ve not had the chance to use it much but the plan is that I will take it when travelling and pair it with my 70-350 so I’ve got good focal range coverage from only 2 lenses.

Welcome Rob! I wish the a6600 had been available when I bought my a6400, but regardless its a great system. How does that 17-70 really perform? I keep watching reviews on YouTube that say its soft at 70mm but I don't know that its enough to deter a purchase?

Welcome Rob! I wish the a6600 had been available when I bought my a6400, but regardless its a great system. How does that 17-70 really perform? I keep watching reviews on YouTube that say its soft at 70mm but I don't know that its enough to deter a purchase?
Hi
Haven’t noticed any real softness at 70mm but only had it 2 weeks so only tested it in my small garden due to lockdown.
Hoping to get out this weekend so will take a few shots and let you know. Will also take a few identical shots at 70mm with my 70-350 to compare.

Your question got me impatient for the weekend so just been out the garden again.

Took two shots, one with Tamron and the other with the Sony.

Both at 70mm, f4.5 1/250s.

I can't see much difference but then I am 60 and wear reading glasses!!!

Not sure what the compression will do on uploading the images but here they are, the one ending 2171 is the Tamron

Edit: now had a closer look at these two and the other images and there is a definite softness on the edges of the Tamron compared to the Sony. Not enough to bother me for the type of shots I take and in fairness I was zoomed in to 200%, its not so bad at 100%.

Certainly don't regret the purchase as these two lenses are my low weight/bulk option for holidays/travel. Before getting the Tamron I did look at the Sony 16-55 but the price put me off

Second Edit
Just found an inside shot with the Tamron at 70mm f4 1/13s iso 100 centre sharpness is ok on this one.

Attachments

• DSC02171.JPG
    DSC02171.JPG
    717.4 KB · Views: 35
  • DSC02180.JPG
    DSC02180.JPG
    732.2 KB · Views: 36
  • DSC02117.jpeg
    DSC02117.jpeg
    313.6 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
I certainly wasn't trying to make you question your purchase! If anything I think you just proved that YouTube reviews can sometimes blow things out of proportion... because otherwise they wouldn't have anything to say!

I certainly wasn't trying to make you question your purchase!
Didn’t think that for a moment!
Having said that I have a terrible habit of doing all my pre purchase research, buying the item and then still watching subsequent reviews as if to confirm my choice and then trying to ignore any negative points😂😂
BTW just noticed a recent review of the lens by Jared Polin which I hadn’t seen until today, it’s quite complimentary and in it he offers a link to his website so you can download raw images.

Rob, I do the same thing! I hear over and over YouTube reviews on this Tamron lens, which convinced me to buy it now adding to my too large collection including the Sigma 16 and 56, Sony 35 f1.8 OSS, Sony 18-135 and Sony 70-350. I thought I would buy the Tamron and sell the 16, 35, and 18-135, but after using it for a day walking around a museum, I may not want the Tamron for my travel lens..... it’s really heavy. I’m going to do some side by sides, perhaps even make my first YouTube video... The hobbyists comparison.

Rob, I do the same thing! I hear over and over YouTube reviews on this Tamron lens, which convinced me to buy it now adding to my too large collection including the Sigma 16 and 56, Sony 35 f1.8 OSS, Sony 18-135 and Sony 70-350. I thought I would buy the Tamron and sell the 16, 35, and 18-135, but after using it for a day walking around a museum, I may not want the Tamron for my travel lens..... it’s really heavy. I’m going to do some side by sides, perhaps even make my first YouTube video... The hobbyists comparison.
Funnily enough I had one of my COVID boredom moments over the weekend and emailed my camera store for a part exchange quote for the Tamron against the Sony 16-55.
Had a phone call from them saying they were finding it difficult to quote on the Tamron as it’s quite new and there were none available used. He went on to persuade me that I probably wouldn’t see a massive improvement for the extra cost and it’s exactly that type of treatment that keeps me going back to them.

Welcome to the forum Rob.
Hi.
Welshman living in Greece, I’m only living half of your dream!!!
Whereabouts in Greece are you?

Back