Hello from sunny Devon!

Hooverbeaver

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Michaela Dickson
Hi. I was really pleased to find this forum. I’ve just purchased my first sony 6400 , so I’m a complete novice. I only have the kit lens right now but wanted to get used to using it before splashing out on a bigger lens. I was thinking Of doing a photography course but thought maybe I should just get familiar with my new camera first. I live in a lovely part of the UK between the moors and the sea so hoping for some great shots. Looking forward to helpful tips and advice 😁

Regardless of your physical location your internet location, here, is a good one. A good group and some quite knowledgeable folks here to help, encourage and advise. Welcome to the group. Have fun and learn a thing or two.

Welcome..... My first was a a6100 I have since upgraded to an a7riii. When first got my a6100 I went to YouTube and searched my camera make and model (in your case Sony a6400 setup). I watched every video I could find. YouTube is great but you will end up going down the YouTube rabbit hole and making a list of all the lenses you may want or need!

This is a really great group and hope you enjoy it!

Hi. I was really pleased to find this forum. I’ve just purchased my first sony 6400 , so I’m a complete novice. I only have the kit lens right now but wanted to get used to using it before splashing out on a bigger lens. I was thinking Of doing a photography course but thought maybe I should just get familiar with my new camera first. I live in a lovely part of the UK between the moors and the sea so hoping for some great shots. Looking forward to helpful tips and advice 😁
Welcome! There is a plethora of tutorials online for the a6400, but there are also an overabundance of lens reviews which will also tempt you. I like your idea of getting used to the lens you have first before investing in more because believe me, its an addiction and an expensive hobby 😅
Sounds like you're in a scenic spot, if landscape photography is your thing, I very much look forward to your sample photos!

Welcome! There is a plethora of tutorials online for the a6400, but there are also an overabundance of lens reviews which will also tempt you. I like your idea of getting used to the lens you have first before investing in more because believe me, its an addiction and an expensive hobby 😅
Sounds like you're in a scenic spot, if landscape photography is your thing, I very much look forward to your sample photos!
Thank you for replying. I’m a little daunted by my new camera at the moment. One thing I’d like to know though. I only use an iPad at home but understand I can use Adobe photoshop to help with my photos. There’s also elements and light room. Which should I be looking to purchase? Grateful thanks 🙏

Welcome..... My first was a a6100 I have since upgraded to an a7riii. When first got my a6100 I went to YouTube and searched my camera make and model (in your case Sony a6400 setup). I watched every video I could find. YouTube is great but you will end up going down the YouTube rabbit hole and making a list of all the lenses you may want or need!

This is a really great group and hope you enjoy it!
Thank you so much. I’m looking forward to learning more about my camera. It’s all a bit scary right now 😄

Regardless of your physical location your internet location, here, is a good one. A good group and some quite knowledgeable folks here to help, encourage and advise. Welcome to the group. Have fun and learn a thing or two.
Thank you 🙏

Thank you for replying. I’m a little daunted by my new camera at the moment. One thing I’d like to know though. I only use an iPad at home but understand I can use Adobe photoshop to help with my photos. There’s also elements and light room. Which should I be looking to purchase? Grateful thanks 🙏
I only use an iPad Pro as well. I do my editing with Lightroom. I haven't dove into photoshop yet. I'm hoping Santa will bring me a MacBook Pro for Christmas, lol. 🎅🎄🎅

I'm a bit of an oddball here, I can use Photoshop, but never really learned how to use Lightroom. Professionals use lightroom because it has a much better work flow for doing large batches of photos, whereas you can do all the same editing in Photoshop, but every photo would have to be done one at a time.
As for Elements, I know its a cheaper solution, but that's all I know. I do not know what features they cut out to make it cheaper. Is it still a subscription or a one time purchase?

Hi and welcome, I was in your neck of the woods over the August bank holiday staying a couple of miles from Tavistock.
You will certainly not be short of fantastic shooting locations both inland and on the coast.
For what it’s worth I think you will have enough on your plate getting used to the camera without having to learn Photoshop.
As you have an iPad I would suggest you use the inbuilt editor on Apple photos and maybe look for a more sophisticated editing programme one you’re more used to the camera.

I'm a bit of an oddball here, I can use Photoshop, but never really learned how to use Lightroom. Professionals use lightroom because it has a much better work flow for doing large batches of photos, whereas you can do all the same editing in Photoshop, but every photo would have to be done one at a time.
As for Elements, I know its a cheaper solution, but that's all I know. I do not know what features they cut out to make it cheaper. Is it still a subscription or a one time purchase?
I haven’t subscribed to any of them yet. I’m such a newbie. To be honest all I’ve done with my camera so far is auto photo but I feel I would like to really understand what it can do.

Back