Hello from Warwickshire, and I feel privileged to have been accepted into the group.

Alphasmurf

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Philip Smith
I’ve not long switched from Panasonic and previously a canon shooter, Sony has blown my mind. I have the A7 mk4 and A7S 3. My lenses currently are 200-600, 70-200 f2.8 mk2 and 1.4x converter.
I would love a big prime but budget doesn’t allow, however, I’m looking for information from anyone using a sigma mc-11 ef-e mount adapter and a canon 400f5.6 l lens. I’ve researched on the net and I’ve gleaned that canon lenses after 2016 seem to work well with the adapter on the A7 series and the canon 400mm f5.6 l performs well with the A9. I hope I can find out if anyone has or is using this combination. I also appreciate that I maybe, will be sacrificing the efficiency of the Sony focussing system.
As a completely new member I hope I haven’t overstepped the mark !! If so I apologise now.

Welcome aboard.

Instead of looking at the Canon, look at Minolta and Sony A-Mount primes and an LA-EA5 adapter. I can tell you from experience the EA5 and MK4 are an excellent match, I use that combination with 11 different A-Mount lenses. Performance is head and shoulders above the older adapters. One of our members here, @spudhead shoots an awful lot with A-Mount primes and his top-drawer efforts are displayed here in this forum.

For an incredible amount of information on these lenses, go to www.Dyxum.com. They have a huge lens database with the lenses ranked, links to reviews, listings on eBay, etc.

Thank you for the welcome and your most invaluable information. I really appreciate it. I’ll take a look in due course.
I must add that I’ve taken to the Alpha range with such enthusiasm and have had very pleasing video results, the eye
recognition is amazing. The autofocus on the Sony range was my main reason for switching from Panasonic, particularly
from a video perspective.

Last edited:
Welcome Philip and thank you for joining up here and introducing yourself. I've never tried the Canon 400mm f5.6 on my Sony cameras so I can't offer much help there I'm afraid.

Back