Hi everyone. I’m new to Sony

EclecticPix

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Alan O’Garr
Thanks for adding me. I’ve come to Sony from M43 (Olympus) and I’m enjoying using the full frame format. I’m quite eclectic in my photography genre and I’ll happily take photos of whatever is in front of me wherever I go.
In the spirit of Christmas I’ll attach an image of an Australian Christmas tree in flower.
Seasons greetings to you all.
Kind regards
A

Attachments

• 740D1A39-8530-41D6-82E7-9685C59596B0.jpeg
    740D1A39-8530-41D6-82E7-9685C59596B0.jpeg
    617.2 KB · Views: 25
Welcome Alan and thanks for joining up here! That's a nice bit of colour in that tree! We haven't even got one up yet! If you have any questions about the site please don't hesitate to ask. Have a great Christmas!

Thanks Timothy
I agree the colours are lovely.
Which Sony camera do you have?
Alan.

Thanks Timothy
I agree the colours are lovely.
Which Sony camera do you have?
Alan.
I have far too many Sony cameras, except for the A1 which I'd quite like but have to resist for a while longer as we are trying to buy a house. But I have just added the a7IV to my collection. But if I didn't run this site I'd probably only have one.

Welcome Alan, what Sony are you shooting with now?
I have heard the IBIS in Olympus is pretty good, how does your new Sony compare?

Welcome Alan, what Sony are you shooting with now?
I have heard the IBIS in Olympus is pretty good, how does your new Sony compare?
No IBIS in any FF camera compares to what M-4/3 can do. They have industry leading IBIS and I imagine they always will due to physics. It's easier to stabilize a smaller sensor and it has more room to move. I have already been warned by other Sony owners not to expect the Mk IV's IBIS to equal my Panasonic. I'll find out tomorrow!

Thanks for adding me. I’ve come to Sony from M43 (Olympus) and I’m enjoying using the full frame format. I’m quite eclectic in my photography genre and I’ll happily take photos of whatever is in front of me wherever I go.
In the spirit of Christmas I’ll attach an image of an Australian Christmas tree in flower.
Seasons greetings to you all.
Kind regards
A
We live in opposite points of this planet but share the same camera trajectory: I also moved from M43 to FF, best decision ever.

No IBIS in any FF camera compares to what M-4/3 can do. They have industry leading IBIS and I imagine they always will due to physics. It's easier to stabilize a smaller sensor and it has more room to move. I have already been warned by other Sony owners not to expect the Mk IV's IBIS to equal my Panasonic. I'll find out tomorrow!
Interesting comment 😉

Interesting comment 😉
Since then I've tested the IBIS in my A7 IV, which is rated @ 5-1/2 stops. I find it to be about a stop or so behind the G9, so that follows suit.

If you haven't already heard about this, look into the dual gain sensors used by Sony. This was completely new to me, I had no idea it existed. I think it was @AlphaWorld who pointed it out to me. There's a spot in these sensors where noise drops to a more manageable level at higher ISO. You can see a visualization on the chart in the link below for the A9II. It looks like shooting around 700-800 is better than from 200-500.

I found this important in that if you can gain 2 or 3 stops of ISO without adding much in the way of noise, it helps with the somewhat reduced effectiveness of IBIS.

Tim, That’s a great comment and very helpful - thank you for sharing.
I’ll get reading and I’ll let you know if it works out on the A9ii 👍

Back