Jim Bell
Country
United States
City/State
Carriere, Mississippi
CC Welcome
  1. No
Hello

Living in South Mississippi, hot and humid is the word.

I’m about 20 mile off the Gulf of Mexico, so it easy to enjoy birds of all types from shore birds to inland birds, plenty of swamps and woodlands to enjoy. I’m a licensed bird Bander , so I’ve captured and banded many birds of all types, with hummingbirds as my main study. Easy to photograph with it in your hand.

Been retired several years from an IT technical background, so I enjoy the technical side of Photography. Have been in Sony’s camp a long time, started with Minolta that was bought by Sony, through the transparent mirror Sony cameras, into the mirror less Sony world.

Currently I enjoy the A1, A7R4 and old A350 (A-mount) along with about fifteen lenses. It is just a hobby to me, I play with the 200-600, 100-400, the trinity group or a good prime, but; at the end of the day the 50mm somehow finds it way back on the camera, go figure.

I look forward to being part of your group.

Jim

Hello

Living in South Mississippi, hot and humid is the word.

I’m about 20 mile off the Gulf of Mexico, so it easy to enjoy birds of all types from shore birds to inland birds, plenty of swamps and woodlands to enjoy. I’m a licensed bird Bander , so I’ve captured and banded many birds of all types, with hummingbirds as my main study. Easy to photograph with it in your hand.

Been retired several years from an IT technical background, so I enjoy the technical side of Photography. Have been in Sony’s camp a long time, started with Minolta that was bought by Sony, through the transparent mirror Sony cameras, into the mirror less Sony world.

Currently I enjoy the A1, A7R4 and old A350 (A-mount) along with about fifteen lenses. It is just a hobby to me, I play with the 200-600, 100-400, the trinity group or a good prime, but; at the end of the day the 50mm somehow finds it way back on the camera, go figure.

I look forward to being part of your group.

Jim
Bird bander. That's a new one on me. Sounds interesting. Is this an occupation, or a hobby? Welcome aboard, you could probably sell most of the people here tour tickets to accompany you!

Bird bander. That's a new one on me. Sounds interesting. Is this an occupation, or a hobby? Welcome aboard, you could probably sell most of the people here tour tickets to accompany you!
Hi, you can look up bird banding lab on the web for a ton if information. I was a bird watcher, that took a hobby way too far. Became friends with the curator of birds over the Audubon Zoo in New Orleans. Trained with him and a nonprofit group becoming part of the study of birds entering the US in spring and departing in the fall. I have Federal andState license Master permits to touch wild birds. Have banded, captured, identified, aged, sexed, measured, and released thousands of birds. I’m not too sure on tours, have seen my share of snakes, wild hogs, rats, and great birds wondering around in Honey island Swamps Checking mist nets for birds. Yes it is a hobby

Hi, you can look up bird banding lab on the web for a ton if information. I was a bird watcher, that took a hobby way too far. Became friends with the curator of birds over the Audubon Zoo in New Orleans. Trained with him and a nonprofit group becoming part of the study of birds entering the US in spring and departing in the fall. I have Federal andState license Master permits to touch wild birds. Have banded, captured, identified, aged, sexed, measured, and released thousands of birds. I’m not too sure on tours, have seen my share of snakes, wild hogs, rats, and great birds wondering around in Honey island Swamps Checking mist nets for birds. Yes it is a hobby
Utterly fantastic!

Your knowledge will be a welcome to the forum. So many times, someone (me too!) doesn't know exactly which bird they're posting an image of. I'd be thrilled just to follow you around for a few days.

Welcome Jim and a big thanks for joining up here and introducing yourself. It sounds like you live in a fantastic location for wildlife.

Xbander I'm moving to Gulfport next month looking forward to more birding coming from Michigan.

Welcome to the South, get in touch with Coast Audubon they have a very active birding club. Bird almost every weekend some where. Load the app eBird it will show you where everyone is seeing birds over the past days and what they are seeing. Gulfport has a lot to offer, I don’t get there as much as I’ve gotten older. One thing to check out in Spring and Fall bird migration , ride over to Dolphin Island AL the birding there can be unreal, can find 70 to 100 species moving through in one day, is only an 90 minute ride.

Back