Following
Name
Tim
Country
United States
City/State
SE Michigan
At their site.

I had decided to stay with SD cards for the A1, I really don't need the added speed from the Express cards. The Kingston Canvas React Plus has been selling for $190. Went to get one and they jumped to $220 overnight. got pissed and started looking at other options on @Tim's A1 card reviews page and clicked on the Pergear link. They're selling the 260G card for $179 by itself, or $197 with a USB reader. Then MS had coupons so I clicked and it actually found a usable coupon, got it down to $177 with free shipping. I decided to 'splurge' and spent another $8 on express shipping! :p

Not as fast as some of the other cards, Tim tested at 450MB/s in-camera write and 87 shots to buffer, which is plenty for me. It's still faster than an SD card and even has another 4G of capacity for less money. What's not to like? 🤷‍♂️

And yeah, Pergear ships almost worldwide for free!

Similar deals on other cards too.

Last edited:
Running a pair of 520GB Pergears. So far - excellent performers. So glad the price per GB is getting better. I hate having to run SD cards in the A9II after being spoiled by the CF-A speed/capacity.

A great deal for our US based users.

Works here as well Kev, I've just looked. The 260 is slightly cheaper than on amazon. I'd order from amazon though for the next day delivery. The 1 tb though is way cheaper. Not sure I want to bung 360 notes at one though.

I'm wary about the Pergear cards - they are not qualified by the CFexpress alliance.

While I'm sure these cards may work fine, I'm going to be inclined to buy certified cards.
I've been using them for a good while now without issues.

My laptop is currently running a recovery programme on a genuine Lexar card. First corrupt card I've had in twenty years.

They are what they are.

I'm wary about the Pergear cards - they are not qualified by the CFexpress alliance.

While I'm sure these cards may work fine, I'm going to be inclined to buy certified cards.
Tim tested them and they work fine, they're listed on the A1 card page.

I thought you didn't pay any attention to the rumors sites? :unsure:

Make sure your price includes the reader option if you don’t already have one. The card alone would’ve been about $20 less.

I bought one of the Pergear 80gig cards a few months back along with the reader. I had problems at times trying to transfer files to my computer. I bought a different card reader that only reads CFExpress A cards and have had no trouble with either the Lexar 160gig or the Pergear 80gig.

Tim tested them and they work fine, they're listed on the A1 card page.

I thought you didn't pay any attention to the rumors sites? :unsure:
I was looking for a reference to the CFA announcement, which I was certain I’d seen elsewhere, but didn’t find it - thought you’d find this source authoritative ;)

I was looking for a reference to the CFA announcement, which I was certain I’d seen elsewhere, but didn’t find it - thought you’d find this source authoritative ;)
It can be authoritative, depending on the resource. Still, I'm surprised you didn't just pass by the website link when it popped up, lord knows you wouldn't want to give the guy any clicks.

It can be authoritative, depending on the resource. Still, I'm surprised you didn't just pass by the website link when it popped up, lord knows you wouldn't want to give the guy any clicks.

I found another place quoting the information. Has almost as many ads as SAR, too!

BTW: they report that Angelbird is discontinuing their CFeA card, suggesting it’s because of VPG certification.

Heads up: My order hasn't shipped yet, they're evidently taking time off for Chinese New Year. They're supposed to return today. Little teeny notice at the top of their page. I didn't see it when I ordered.

Story of my life. However, I no longer do Amazon.

keep an eye on your pergear cards,it looks like mine got very hot and when you press just below the contacts there is movement and you can hear a clicking sound,pergear have told me that they will replace it as it's approx 7 months old with very little use,card still works at the moment,

Attachments

• thumbnail_20240303_224426.jpg
    thumbnail_20240303_224426.jpg
    278.8 KB · Views: 13
  • thumbnail_20240303_224432.jpg
    thumbnail_20240303_224432.jpg
    270.9 KB · Views: 13
keep an eye on your pergear cards,it looks like mine got very hot and when you press just below the contacts there is movement and you can hear a clicking sound,pergear have told me that they will replace it as it's approx 7 months old with very little use,card still works at the moment,
You shooting video?

Rats. Any idea how it got so hot?

it gets quite hot when using card reader

I've only used mine for a few hundred photos at a time, so far no issues. I will keep an eye on it. Please let us know if they offer any other info. Good luck.

Transcript of a conversation with pergear. Personal details removed.

"Hi

I purchased one of these from Amazon UK on 20th August.

I have used it a few times, but am finding that it gets very hot in use. So hot that you cannot hold it in your hands.

Is this normal?"

"Hi David,

Thanks for your reply.

Most CFexpress Type A/B cards can work in the temperature range of -10°C to 70°C. A CFexpress Type A/B card reader will pass the Quality Test if the degree is below 65°C during data transfer, so it's normal if the temperatures are between 38 - 40 degrees.

Does it get very hot immediately when starting the transfer? Or does it reach 38-40 degrees after transferring 10-30 minutes? If the latter one, then it's normal.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to let us know."

"Hi

Many thanks for your prompt reply. Just to correct my title, it is the type A reader, not the B. To answer your questions....

The card reader will get moderately hot during high-speed transfer. Using an infra red thermometer, the reader is reaching temperatures between 38 - 40 degrees.

Can you tell us what CFexpress card you use? I use a Pergear 260gb Type A

Did you test with another USB port and computer? Sorry, no, I only have one computer with USB C ports."

Transcript of a conversation with pergear. Personal details removed.

"Hi

I purchased one of these from Amazon UK on 20th August.

I have used it a few times, but am finding that it gets very hot in use. So hot that you cannot hold it in your hands.

Is this normal?"

"Hi David,

Thanks for your reply.

Most CFexpress Type A/B cards can work in the temperature range of -10°C to 70°C. A CFexpress Type A/B card reader will pass the Quality Test if the degree is below 65°C during data transfer, so it's normal if the temperatures are between 38 - 40 degrees.

Does it get very hot immediately when starting the transfer? Or does it reach 38-40 degrees after transferring 10-30 minutes? If the latter one, then it's normal.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to let us know."

"Hi

Many thanks for your prompt reply. Just to correct my title, it is the type A reader, not the B. To answer your questions....

The card reader will get moderately hot during high-speed transfer. Using an infra red thermometer, the reader is reaching temperatures between 38 - 40 degrees.

Can you tell us what CFexpress card you use? I use a Pergear 260gb Type A

Did you test with another USB port and computer? Sorry, no, I only have one computer with USB C ports."
Dave, how fast are you able to transfer? I'm still working on upgrading my computer, it currently seems to settle in way slow, around 60MPS.

Dave, how fast are you able to transfer? I'm still working on upgrading my computer, it currently seems to settle in way slow, around 60MPS.
How would you check the transfer speed?

All I know at the moment is that the transfer to PC is far quicker than sd card, but it's subjective.

The buffer clears much more quickly than previously, something that you'd only really notice if your doing a long 30fps burst.

How would you check the transfer speed?

All I know at the moment is that the transfer to PC is far quicker than sd card, but it's subjective.

The buffer clears much more quickly than previously, something that you'd only really notice if your doing a long 30fps burst.
Assuming you're using Windows? If not, then I don't know. If Windows, when the progress bar pops up you can show the details and it will read out the transfer speed in real-time.

I'll be honest, I was going to stick with SD cards because I need neither the burst speed nor the upload speed, but when the Pergear popped up for the price I went for it.

Back